Orfeo and Euridice..............by Gluck

acidaho

Orfeo and Euridice..............by Gluck
« on: 26 May 2010, 04:00 am »

Why do I absolutely adore the opea/ballet? Probably, one reason, is that it contains one of my favorite melodies.......'Dance of the Blessed Spririts'. I especially like the 1762 Vienna version with female Orfeo. (my LP version uses mezzo Rice Stevens as the husband (Orfeo), Lisa Della Casa as wife (Euridice) and Roberta Peters as the messenger (Amore).

It is also one of the few tearjerkers with a happy ending (Amore bringing Euridice back from hell :eyebrows:

It is a well done opera (ballet if you like) and probably my favorite. Chuck

jimdgoulding

Re: Orfeo and Euridice..............by Gluck
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2010, 04:08 am »
I have Orfeo and Euridice on the Accent label (it's late so plez excuse that I don't go into my listening room to tell you the players) and it's great music to me, also, and one of my best recordings.  Cheers.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2010, 03:32 am »
Thought I would give you the courtesy of the specifics of the recording I have.  The singers are Marjanne Kweksilber, Rene Jacobs, Magdelena Falewicz with Sigiswald Kuijken conducting La Petite Band on period instruments and The Collegium Vocale.  That flemish enough for you?  The sound from mid hall is as perfect as I have experienced.  And that's where and why I set my volume control.

acidaho

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2010, 05:00 am »

now that I'd like to hear! I was trying to figure nationality by cast names and got totally lost. :duh:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2010, 05:15 am »
now that I'd like to hear! I was trying to figure nationality by cast names and got totally lost. :duh:
Whoa is me, I distracted you.  Anytime you venture to my neck of the woods, Houston, Tx, you shall.  I'd be delighted to play it for you.  More than delighted.

GDeering

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2010, 01:24 pm »
Kempff performed (what I believe is) his transcription of "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" I have it on LP and bundled in a two CD Bach collection..  Equally as beautiful on piano, it has a 19C salon quality that adds something in my opinion, others may disagree....

Gregg