What Opera have you heard (or seen?) recently?

SET Man

Re: What Opera have you heard (or seen?) recently?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Oct 2011, 04:01 am »
Hey!

When to see Met Opera's production of Rossini's "The Barber of Seville" at the Lincoln Center here in NYC on Wednesday.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/opera/il-barbiere-di-siviglia-rossini-tickets.aspx

It was my first opera and first time at the Lincoln Center. Why I chose this for my first opera? Well, there is a reason to that.... two actually. I know the "Figaro" song since I was a kid from Bugs Bunny cartoon  :lol: And somehow lately my coworker have been singing that song :lol:

Luckily there are performing that this season. It was great. I really enjoyed it, well have to thanks the fact that there is display with translation. It is a funny opera. The stage set was nice too and so with the costumes. And all the performers are great, very fluid, natural and not robotic.

The only bad part was the fact that I can't afford more expensive seats. So, I got box seat on the balcony level for $25 per seat... I was in box 8. These seats are listed as "partial view" and yes it is hard to see the edge of the stage on your side... and unfortunately that most of the first half happen on the side I was sitting!  :duh: So me and my friend were leaning over to see what's going on. At the end I think we both got a bit of a backache :lol: But she does agreed with me that it was worth it. :D

Anyway, it was a nice experience. So, much so that we might go back  again... well she wants to see "Madama Butterfly" that she I've seen before when she was young. Well, let's see. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 31 Oct 2011, 10:07 am »
Does a cantata count?  Bach's Actus Tragicus (German Harmonia Mundi).  Listened to, not seen, night before last.  Hope you and your Mrs. get to attend Madama Butterfly, Buddy.  Last one I saw was Turandot put on by the Houston Opera.  In addition to the music, the lighting and settings were fantastic

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #22 on: 1 Nov 2011, 08:35 pm »
Buddy,

An evening out at the Met is a good night where ever you sit.  I have sat way up in the family circle before and still enjoyed it.  I hope you do get to Madama Butterfly.  I just saw Patricia Racette in Tosca and I think she can do Cio Cio San.  I don't know anything about Liping Zhang though she must be good if she is singing lead at the Met. 

SET Man

« Reply #23 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:50 am »
Does a cantata count?  Bach's Actus Tragicus (German Harmonia Mundi).  Listened to, not seen, night before last.  Hope you and your Mrs. get to attend Madama Butterfly, Buddy.  Last one I saw was Turandot put on by the Houston Opera.  In addition to the music, the lighting and settings were fantastic

Buddy,

An evening out at the Met is a good night where ever you sit.  I have sat way up in the family circle before and still enjoyed it.  I hope you do get to Madama Butterfly.  I just saw Patricia Racette in Tosca and I think she can do Cio Cio San.  I don't know anything about Liping Zhang though she must be good if she is singing lead at the Met. 

Hey!

Yup, look like I'm going to see "Madama Butterfly" alright. She kept insisted on this one  :icon_lol: So, I got the tickets for two for later December show :D  And yes box seat again, one behind the one I was at last week.

woodsyi, you are right it was a good night even with some leaning :lol: I have to say it was very interesting to sit higher and get to see what's going on the back... a difference perspective view of stage. :D Also, the experience also extended to the feel of the Lincoln Center itself and the crowd.... seems to be more of older people there, with some younger mixed in. :D

As far as the performers, I have no idea who they are. I'm pretty new to this thing. Well, "Madama Butterfly" will be my second opera. I know a bit about "The Barber of Seville"... I know it was a comedy opera but I don't know anything about "Madama Butterfly" I'm pretty sure is it not going to be funny one. Anyway, good thing there is a translation display. :D

Well, that will be almost 2 months from now. I'm surprised of how the seats are filled up fast way ahead of the show date. Anyway, I will report back on "Madama Butterfly" :D

Take care,

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:55 am »
Butterfly is not a comic opera, you can believe that, and good for your wife for insisting.  That can't be bad.  Me mom liked Gilbert & Sullivan when I was a kid while I was listening to R&B on the radio.  The first song my mom played for me that I remember, however, was September Song sung by Walter Huston.  Not a gay sentiment that one.

SET Man

« Reply #25 on: 2 Nov 2011, 04:16 am »
Butterfly is not a comic opera, you can believe that, and good for your wife for insisting.  That can't be bad.  Me mom liked Gilbert & Sullivan when I was a kid while I was listening to R&B on the radio.  The first song my mom played for me that I remember, however, was September Song sung by Walter Huston.  Not a gay sentiment that one.

Hey!

My wife? No, she is not my wife :lol: But good enough for me to say yes when she bugged me  :icon_lol:

Yeah, I know Madama Butterfly is not a comedy one. But I'm pretty sure that the Met Opera company will put on a good one. I just have to wait almost 2 months form now to see it  :icon_lol:

Take care,

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 2 Nov 2011, 05:07 am »
Sounds exciting, Budman.  Not the having to wait part.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #27 on: 3 Nov 2011, 01:14 am »
Hey!

.......... The only bad part was the fact that I can't afford more expensive seats. So, I got box seat on the balcony level for $25 per seat... I was in box 8. These seats are listed as "partial view" and yes it is hard to see the edge of the stage on your side... and unfortunately that most of the first half happen on the side I was sitting!  :duh: So me and my friend were leaning over to see what's going on. At the end I think we both got a bit of a backache :lol: But she does agreed with me that it was worth it. :D

Anyway, it was a nice experience. So, much so that we might go back  again... well she wants to see "Madama Butterfly" that she I've seen before when she was young. Well, let's see. :D

Take care,

The only (perhaps) disadvantage sitting all the way up there is that you'd need binoculars to see what the characters are doing with the finer movements.  Otherwise, ALL the sound mix well up there.  Should you be sitting in the 9th orchestra row somewhere, the sounds will flow above your head into the stratosphere.  What you would hear would not be balanced.

It sounds better UP THERE, Bud!  Well, warmer too 'cos hot airs rise. :thumb: Besides, the person next to you in the orchestra could be a high-brower too!!!! :lol: You don't want to associate with "those" :rotflmao: :bawl:.

SET Man

« Reply #28 on: 3 Nov 2011, 01:42 am »
The only (perhaps) disadvantage sitting all the way up there is that you'd need binoculars to see what the characters are doing with the finer movements.  Otherwise, ALL the sound mix well up there.  Should you be sitting in the 9th orchestra row somewhere, the sounds will flow above your head into the stratosphere.  What you would hear would not be balanced.

It sounds better UP THERE, Bud!  Well, warmer too 'cos hot airs rise. :thumb: Besides, the person next to you in the orchestra could be a high-brower too!!!! :lol: You don't want to associate with "those" :rotflmao: :bawl:.

Hey!

The sound was fine up there, I can hear all the note and even small detail so no complaint there. :D Actually I was surprised of how the sound was like up there.

But I can see why the sound will be above your head when with those seats down there because the orchestra pit project the sound up from the pit.  Hmmm... better view but worst sounding :lol:

Orchestra seats? Well, I don't think you will see me sitting there anytime soon.... can't afford it. :icon_lol: I think I will have to stick with cheaper seat up there , but at least now I know I get a better sound up there. :D

Take care,

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #29 on: 3 Nov 2011, 01:48 am »
Hey!

My wife? No, she is not my wife :lol: But good enough for me to say yes when she bugged me  :icon_lol:

Sounds like a wife to me! :lol:

david12

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:11 pm »
Went to Welsh National Opera in Oxford last week, to see Katya Kabovna, Janacek. I have never been a great Janacek fan, a bit hard core for me, but the production was excellent.
  The Welsh National is a small UK company, origonal home of Bryn Terfel;. I have been going to see them for over 30 years, only one bad prooduction in that time

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2011, 08:01 pm »
1 dud in 30 years is quite remarkable.  I have seen more from Washington National Opera in 20 years.  If you mean dark and serious when you say hard core, I agree with you on Janacek.  I have only seen Jenufe and the Cunning Little Vixen and don't know much about Katya Kabovna.  The seriousness I think comes from the Slavic culture.  I was once flabbergasted with a children's book written by Tolstoy that was given to my daughter.  Talk about dark and grim.  :o  Although the themes are serious I find a lot of Janacek's music beautiful. 

Berndt

« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2011, 08:04 pm »
Two weekends in a row at the SF opera. Carmen then Xerxes.
Xerxes was as good as the classic Carmen, imho.
The set design for Xerxes was really fun, as well as its comedic delivery.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2011, 08:37 pm »
Bill, you are lucky to have SFO really step up with variety of productions.  Xerxes sound like it was a fun one.  Handel injected unusual comic relief in this opera "seria" and got flak for it but it sounds like it translates to modern sensibility quite well.  There is a revival of Baroque operas and I think this one is a good one because of the comic side.  Now you have to rent or download Farinelli and see the Opera Seria at its sublime height.  Keep up with the subscription and keep moving to better seating.  8)   

Last few years with Doming to as the director, WNO resorted to producing the tried and true variety to offset reduction in fund raising.  The Kennedy Center took over WNO's operation and I hope the resulting financial stability means more operas from off the beaten path. 

drjjpdc

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2011, 09:43 pm »
I used to go to the Met years ago but I am now on disability and getting to NY and tickets are not in my budget. However I have been going to the Live at the Met series at my local AMC movie theater. Operas are done live and an encore is done at a later date.

This Saturday the Met is doing Faust, go see it, the cast is excellent.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:37 am »
Heard a very special opera....here Rim have a listen....LINK.. :wine:

drjjpdc

« Reply #36 on: 25 Feb 2012, 01:26 am »
If you really want to hear funny opera, you can do no better than this!

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Stoned-Madrigals-Triumph-Thusnelda/dp/B000000EEQ

Art_Chicago

« Reply #37 on: 25 Feb 2012, 01:35 am »
Boris Godunov by Musorgsky at Chicago Lyric Opera.
the only fun part of the event was the fact that there were about 40% Russians in the audience!
Seriously, though it was a very nice performance.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:35 am »
Heard a very special opera....here Rim have a listen....LINK.. :wine:

Thanks Chris for the operatic B-day wish.  Just celebrated at a sushi restaurant with the family.  Tomorrow just the wife and I will have a date night out to the Kennedy Center for Cosi fan Tutte.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2012, 04:56 pm by woodsyi »

drjjpdc

« Reply #39 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:18 pm »
Saw the Met Gotterdamerung on 02/11/2012 at my local AMC theater. Started at 12 and finished around 6PM. I heard some whiners complaining about little things price of ticket ($22), sound, etc. I tore into them between acts. They should be thanking their lucky stars that AMC was generous enough to share a theater, where they could have shown (3) 2 hour movies during the time for one Gotter. BTW, the theater was filled and not just with old farts.

Now the important stuff; the voices were great. The women in the audience were very much loving the Siegfried with bare arms, partial chest and long blond hair. The men were also happy with the Brunnehilde and Gutrune, both with ample bosoms and equally low cut outfits. I thought Hagen was a bit stiff, but Alberich was slimy and evil.

The orchestra played very well. Most of the story that Wagner incorporated into the Ring was well integrated but the business about Siegfried switching to Gutrune and Gunther getting Brunnehilde is pretty weak and when Brunehilde swears a death oath for Siegfried on Hagen's spear, it's a pretty quick flip-flop from the undying love duet at the beginning of Act 1.

A funny Wagner moment was done with good timing, when Siegfried captures/conquests Brunnehilde disguised as Gunther. Later on he is accused of taking advantage while in disguise and pleads his case by singing he placed his sword between him and Brunnehilde while in her bedchamber for honesty. Brunnehilde sings back that she knows what Nothung (his sword) looks like, she also saw it on the wall and that was no sword she felt between them!  :lol: