An Opera Circle? Really?

boead

An Opera Circle? Really?
« on: 10 Jun 2009, 05:43 pm »
An Opera Circle? Really?

From mulling around I found these demographics fairly consistent for U.S. Music Sales.

Rock: 34%

Rap and Hip Hop: 11%

R&B Urban: 11%

Pop: 7%

Religious: 5%

Classical: 2%

Jazz: 2%

Oldies: 1%

Everything else less than 1% each

Even if you considered Opera classical which it?s not I don?t think it warrants its own dedicated circle. Has anyone taken a poll of genera favorites on Audio Circle?

BradJudy

Re: An Opera Circle? Really?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2009, 05:52 pm »
Well, if you go by overall stats of average people, you can eliminate all of the vendor circles as well as many of the other ones here too.  Well less than 1% of the population cares about most of the content on AC.  :)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2009, 05:58 pm »
An Opera Circle? Really?

Believe it!  8)

There is a fanatical element found in Opera aficionados that mirrors the obsessions of audiophiles.  We maybe less then 1 % of general population but it's much higher here.  Welcome.

boead

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2009, 06:47 pm »
An Opera Circle? Really?

Believe it!  8)

There is a fanatical element found in Opera aficionados that mirrors the obsessions of audiophiles.  We maybe less then 1 % of general population but it's much higher here.  Welcome.

what % of the Audio Circle population?

boead

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2009, 06:56 pm »
Well, if you go by overall stats of average people, you can eliminate all of the vendor circles as well as many of the other ones here too.  Well less than 1% of the population cares about most of the content on AC.  :)

Apples and oranges! Vendor circles are paid for and are CSR for pre and post sales.

If an enthusiast/interest circle is made and it represents less than 10% of the sites audience (lets say) then it's unwarranted.  Isn't a music circle enough?

How about a silver wire circle? I bet 10 times as many AC'ers are fans of silver wire than Opera.

I see AC becoming a cult club with postings and conversation centered around the interest and guidelines of a select few. It's getting boring, been that way for over a year or so now.

BradJudy

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2009, 07:30 pm »
what % of the Audio Circle population?

I think the point is that % doesn't matter, participation does.  AC has always been liberal about trying out new circles if someone steps up to moderate.  If they don't get much traffic, or the moderator quits, then they die off and are dropped.  Plenty have been dropped over time. 

A standard was set for a process on creating new circles, and anything passing that process is deemed warranted.  This circle went through the process, so give it a chance.  I expect to see regular participation by a small number, with more people lurking for recommendations.

Personally, I like the idea of more, specific music circles because I think it will motivate more music discussion here, which I'm happy to see. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:16 pm »
I see AC becoming a cult club with postings and conversation centered around the interest and guidelines of a select few. It's getting boring, been that way for over a year or so now.

I am sorry you feel that way.  I know you are bored because thread crapping is what bored do.  Aren't you excited about anything?  What you should do is to find something that excites you and propose a circle to share that excitement with others.  Think about it.  Do something positive instead of whining about what you perceive is negative.   

Cheers,

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:20 pm »
Audiophiles are a niche.  Opera is a niche.  What's the problem?

boead

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:35 pm »

Sorry, not board just waiting for some other people to finish so I can continue. InfoComm is next week! We're very busy in the office.

An opera circle is niche for niche which is like...really tiny.

Ok and I really don't like opera! My dad does and I grew up with it blasting on our HiFi in between Bette Midler, the Beatles and Louie Armstrong. I'd rather eat chalk or slugs.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:41 pm »

Sorry, not board just waiting for some other people to finish so I can continue. InfoComm is next week! We're very busy in the office.

An opera circle is niche for niche which is like...really tiny.

Ok and I really don't like opera! My dad does and I grew up with it blasting on our HiFi in between Bette Midler, the Beatles and Louie Armstrong. I'd rather eat chalk or slugs.

It's not for everyone but then what is?  You apparently have a very strong feeling against it.  There must be something to this Opera thing to have made you feel such strong passion.  Don't you think?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:08 pm »
I know little about opera but am THRILLED about this circle.  While doing construction work on weekends I listen to the opera for several reasons:
1: To learn where some of the fabulous and lovely arias come from
2: To figure out the story lines in another language (if possible)
3: To bring up on my German (Thanks, Herr Wagner!)
4: To try to sing along instead of just in the shower.
5: (Bonus) It drives my wife nuts! (the opera, not my singing)

As others has said, if it complies with the rules for starting a thread, why do you care?

And I can't for the life of me figure out why people listen to The Blues.  Ya know, they make medication to fix those kinds of things!   :icon_twisted:

hmen

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:12 pm »
I don't like Opera either but I have noticed that a lot of members of this small niche have been posting in this new circle.

no1maestro

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:27 pm »
I'm rather new to this site but not new to opera. I don't buy the stats on record sales as justification for not having this room. I have watched this circle for some time and enjoyed the back and forth in here. I will post when I have something to add or offer. The fact that we are a small percentage doesn't bother me a bit; I have friends who only collect and listen to domestic 78 RPM discs from 1920 to 1935.....so what. As long as there is interest in this room, count me in please!!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:33 pm »
I don't get the differences and nuances between singers (except for Pavoratti) but if opera is good enough for Elmer Fudd (Kill da Wabbit, Kill da WABBIT!) and Bugs Bunny, it's good enough for me.
 :lol:

CR

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2009, 01:48 am »
I don't like Opera either but I have noticed that a lot of members of this small niche have been posting in this new circle.

As others have stated it's not for everyone.
I guess really the best way to explain opera is that it's a story that is usually sung in Italian, German or French.
For the life of me I never understood why Turandot, set to a Chinese theme but written and sung in Italian.
Great story and music though !!!!!!!!!!!!
As for me , there are operas I really don't care for but that is just my personal preference. :)

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2009, 03:52 am »

As others have stated it's not for everyone.
I guess really the best way to explain opera is that it's a story that is usually sung in Italian, German or French.
For the life of me I never understood why Turandot, set to a Chinese theme but written and sung in Italian.
Great story and music though !!!!!!!!!!!!
As for me , there are operas I really don't care for but that is just my personal preference. :)

At each Met performance, it's mostly sold out, 5000 seats.  So, opera must have a good enough following.  Does it warrant a circle?  Anything is worth its salt.  We just have to be respectful of others for what they do.  Some people may not feel for opera, thinking it's just some fat lady (only way to sustain Puccini's tessitura and cut through the orchestra is a big fat body, like a beer-barrel-shaped Birgit Nilsson!) screaming at the top of her lung.  But... others see it as a worthwhile art form, merging the stage with music, dance, singing.......  Shall we equate that to the Beatles straddling their guitars and drums, or that U2 is much worthwhile?  No.  Apples are apples, oranges are oranges. 

Just be respectful I would say, have a big heart.  And the world would be a better place.  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2009, 04:03 am »
People who take their music seriously will pay to hear it clearly on hifi. For them, music brings meaning to life. People who take their music intravenously from the car radio/iPod don't care how it sounds, it's just data - beat, melody, lyrics. Clock radio is good enough, and they are not here on AC. For them, music/noise is just another useful distraction from reality.

AC members' record collection content doesn't match sales demographics, because music that most benefits from playing on a high end audio system is concentrated toward the less popular idioms, like opera, traditional jazz, bluegrass, classical, etc, where tone, dynamics, emotional communication are priorities which require high end audio gear to experience the full potential of the music. There is some well produced rock, but it is in the distinct minority.

In rock, hiphop, rap, pop, country, tone is deliberately corrupted with synthetic distortion, dynamics are squashed for max radio loudness, and emotional vulnerability among consumers of those genres is considered a sign of weakness, so their music is mostly void of intimacy. There is no need for high end audio equipment to play modern popular music. Midfi is good enough. With classical, midfi is not good enough, unless you just want the data, like elevator music.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2009, 05:05 am »
Good post Rich...."right on the money".... :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2009, 05:30 am »
People who take their music seriously will pay to hear it clearly on hifi. For them, music brings meaning to life. People who take their music intravenously from the car radio/iPod don't care how it sounds, it's just data - beat, melody, lyrics. Clock radio is good enough, and they are not here on AC. For them, music/noise is just another useful distraction from reality.

AC members' record collection content doesn't match sales demographics, because music that most benefits from playing on a high end audio system is concentrated toward the less popular idioms, like opera, traditional jazz, bluegrass, classical, etc, where tone, dynamics, emotional communication are priorities which require high end audio gear to experience the full potential of the music. There is some well produced rock, but it is in the distinct minority.

In rock, hiphop, rap, pop, country, tone is deliberately corrupted with synthetic distortion, dynamics are squashed for max radio loudness, and emotional vulnerability among consumers of those genres is considered a sign of weakness, so their music is mostly void of intimacy. There is no need for high end audio equipment to play modern popular music. Midfi is good enough. With classical, midfi is not good enough, unless you just want the data, like elevator music.

Quite possibly the best post I have ever read here on AC.  Bravo!

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2009, 11:46 am »
As the, um, instigator of the approach that is being commented on here, I feel that I would like to comment also ...

Apples and oranges! Vendor circles are paid for and are CSR for pre and post sales.

Not really correct. I don't know what "CSR" means but, the vendors still have to go through an approval process by not only me but also the members to be approved for a "circle/sponsor" level presence here. Honestly, I think that if I decided to just "sell" circles to commercial interests, I could probably double or triple or quadruple the price (and some people think that I should) and still have another dozen or more within a month. But that's not what it's about - really, I have the utmost respect for our sponsors because they have chosen to take the hard road and stand up and say "Hey, here I am, let's talk about how my skills and my design expertise can help you in your audiophile adventures." You don't get that kind of commitment and connection just anywhere.

I will take my hat off to these folks (our sponsors) any time, any where. I don't care about the money -- I mean, yes, it is needed to pay for our server and development costs, but I do so hate it when people cheapen it to just being about a few dollars. And in actual fact, the contribution from individual members exceeds that from the sponsors.

Sorry to disappoint, but I think you have it all wrong. This is not about the interests of a select few, but about providing selective interest areas for those who care to create, support, and participate in any number of specific interest areas. It just takes one person to create an interest area (aka a circle). Only people interested need register their interest...

Is there anything particular that you have an interest in? Why don't you consider proposing a circle for it?