A great sampler

Randy

A great sampler
« on: 31 May 2009, 11:15 pm »

no1maestro

Re: A great sampler
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2009, 12:21 am »
That looks like a good "starter" and nice selection of vocal and instrumental selections. A lifetime musician, I actually started out knowing almost nothing about real "opera" ; that was the one blank in my parents collection of 78s.

I actually taught myself an appreciation by checking out one new opera each week when I accompanied my father to the public library. I was about 11 years old and I knew some "titles" of operas so I started with Madam Butterfly etc. An eighth grade music teacher turned me on to Wagner's Ring and the rest is history.

Playing in orchestra in college and doing many performances of everything from Down In The Valley to Carmen gave me a pretty good basis for further study. I can now appreciate most opera from the Romantic period forward but still have trouble identifying with Gluck, Handel etc. but I'm happy!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:41 pm »
Welcome to our Opera House, numero uno maestro.   :thumb:  Who's #2?  :wink:

Randy, this looks like a nice CD with a good blend of new and old singers.  I have a mixed feeling about these CDs.  On the one hand I like them and I play these in the background a lot as I am working.  I would be humming and singing along while doing other things.  On the other hand, I wonder how effective these would be as introductions if the listener doesn't take the time to learn about  each piece.  What I mean is that people new to Opera would only be hearing the music.  Without knowing the native language, they don't even know what the lyrics mean.  I don't think these compilation CDs come with Libretto and translation in the booklet.  Even with a translation on hand, one needs to understand where in the story (of the complete opera) each piece is to get a sense of what emotions to listen for.  When I listen to Opera music only, I visualize the setting in my mind as I listen.

Would a DVD sampler with subtitles be better for introduction? 

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2009, 02:06 pm »
I think compilations like this one are good for people who are just beginning to look into opera. If an interest is sparked by the beauty of this music, they might make an attempt to get into it more deeply, and eventually do all that you suggest must be done to truly appreciate the genre.  Everybody has to start somewhere.

For some reason, I have never been able to get into DVDs of opera or other types of classical. Not sure why. Attending performances is another matter, but watching opera on a TV is not very compelling, with some exceptions.