Looking for a good 4.5" full range driver for OB.

djn

What can you recommend for a good 4.5" full range driver for OB?  I have FE126E now and have had them in BLH, ported, and sealed boxes.  I just don't like the sound too much.   There is some kind of harshness in the upper ranges that make my ears hurt for a just a nano second untill the next highs come in.  I'd like to avoid a tweet...but.....

versus rider

Re: Looking for a good 4.5" full range driver for OB.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2010, 06:31 pm »
not sure any one has tried this but CSS FR125SR, works very well in my bass reflex standmounts, in fact I have two pairs that I built some time back. Will need a tweeter though as they roll off at around 12Khz.

djn

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2010, 06:53 pm »
Hi Versus, that looks like it might have promise.  The plot on the link shows it goes high enough so that it wouldn't need a tweeter, but that is not real life either.  They have good Qts and Xmas too.  Here is a link to the data sheet.  I'd like to find someone around here that has a pair I can try in these horn things.

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/CSS-FR125SR-dataS.pdf

kunja

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2010, 07:44 pm »
Try looking at car audio speakers. I bought a pile of older 4 inch full range drivers made by Isophon. They were leftover from the 70s and were bought from an out of business Mercedes dealership. They do quite well on OB.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:18 pm »
I use Fostex F200A, but the F120A is similar.  These aren't cheap, but do use AlNiCo magnets.  They avoid the thin sound of many extended range drivers.

E. J. Jordan drivers are another quality option.

The Hawthorne Silver Iris are bigger and coaxial, but cheaper, go deeper, and are more efficient.

Check out Madisound.com.

matevana

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2010, 12:08 am »
What can you recommend for a good 4.5" full range driver for OB?  I have FE126E now and have had them in BLH, ported, and sealed boxes.  I just don't like the sound too much.   There is some kind of harshness in the upper ranges that make my ears hurt for a just a nano second untill the next highs come in.  I'd like to avoid a tweet...but.....

If you can downsize a bit, the Peerless 3" 830986 or 830987 is an amazing find, at about 20 bucks a piece. They handle a lot of power for their size and never get harsh, even when played loud. They are also fairly strong up to about 18k. Some of the larger (4.5") full range drivers seem to be either too "shouty" or if not, lack something on the high-end. I have tried a few other drivers such as the titanium cone tang band, daytons, and founteks, etc. and I keep coming back to the peerless.  Give them a try. I think you will be very impressed.     

versus rider

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2010, 06:33 am »
Hi Versus, that looks like it might have promise.  The plot on the link shows it goes high enough so that it wouldn't need a tweeter, but that is not real life either.  They have good Qts and Xmas too.  Here is a link to the data sheet.  I'd like to find someone around here that has a pair I can try in these horn things.

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/CSS-FR125SR-dataS.pdf
you'd be welcome to try mine but theres a rather large pond between us :)

dezaud

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2010, 08:29 pm »
Markaudio is another candidate, especially the Alpair 10 looks promising, a bit like the Jordan JX92s but constantly being refined. This thread at diyaudio indicates that the new 2nd generation is just about ready: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/158417-alpair-10-generation-2-sneak-peek-6.html

A shame being stuck with the old regular JX92s that seems to do everything that I expect :0)

djn

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2010, 09:48 pm »
you'd be welcome to try mine but theres a rather large pond between us :)

Yep, that could be an issue :thumb: