more BRAND NEW high end AVA components

Tom Alverson

Re: more BRAND NEW high end AVA components
« Reply #40 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:38 am »
Since the gain is now a direct function of the mu of the tube, will matched tubes be needed for stereo balance?  Or are good identical brand tubes close enough that this is not necessary? 

P.S.  I may have just fallen off the fence.

trackball02

« Reply #41 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:35 pm »
I totaly agree with charmerci. Fet Valve is cumbersome and not very memorable. Besides, this term has been used before.

I like Excel or Spirt, which are short sweet dynamic and new.

Why not bring the new products to RMAF, and have the customers suggest names? That might generate some interest.

avahifi

« Reply #42 on: 5 Oct 2011, 08:21 pm »
Nobody complained about Fet Valve years ago.  That is a done deal now.

Gain issues.  With the standard 6CG7 EH tubes we are using so far we are getting very consistent results, channels matching within a scope trace width. These tubes have a voltage gain of 20 and have much higher than normal current output. We are very happy with their performance.  Obviously tubes will be matched for new units.

The fact that the circuits are tube gain and performance sensitive is both great and bad.  It means you can tube roll and make the units sound exactly the way you want.  You can also tube roll and make them sound terrible.  Note that we have the circuit set for 6V tubes.  It can be changed to run with 12V tubes but that requires VERY careful work on the main mother board to move a couple of zero ohm jumpers.  We do not recommend you try this yourself and we have not found a 12V tube we like better than the 6CG7 in this design.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Mountain-ear

« Reply #43 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm »
Frank -

Will the T-8 preamp remain in production or is it destined for discontinuation as well?

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #44 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm »
No current product is being removed from production.

The T8+ pure vacuum tube has been one of our best sellers and will remain available as long as so many of you like it.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

pardales

« Reply #45 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:56 am »
So what is the pricing on the new generation Fet Valve preamp and DAC?

Pricing? And what does "Fet Valve" mean? I still think a letter or Mk. would be nice to distinguish from the original series.

modular747

« Reply #46 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:08 am »
Pricing? And what does "Fet Valve" mean?

Pricing - Frank already posted more than once that price is yet to be determined, pending evaluation of production costs, but will be significantly more than current models.

"FET" - Field Effect Transistor
"Valve" - the British English word for tube

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #47 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:45 am »
And what does "Fet Valve" mean?

It means Hybrid - Mosfet over tube. :thumb:

avahifi

« Reply #48 on: 6 Oct 2011, 02:11 pm »
More information regarding the new AVA Fet Valve products.

Prices: All new Fet Valve units will have the new silver three dimensional faceplates only.

Note that new Fet Valve 600R and 400R amps will be shipping with black faceplates at the old prices until the new faceplates are available in production quantities (6-8 weeks from now).  The Fet Valve preamp and Fet Valve DAC will not be available until then too when we have finished production faceplates available.

Fet Valve 600R  $3499

Fet Valve 400R  $2999

Fet Valve Preamp  $2499  (many options available - options at existing prices)

Fet Valve DAC  $2499  (USB input optional, price TBD)

Fet Valve 400R or 600R upgrade to all earlier AVA chassis hybrid amplifier  $1999  (only available with black faceplate) (300 or 350 to 400R, 500 or 550 to 600R)

No upgrades possible to Fet Valve preamp or DAC from other models.

Avastar preamp and Vision Hybrid DAC and T8+ vacuum tube preamp all remain in  production at current prices, as do all Insight+ products.  These products will have our existing black faceplates available only.

If you would really, really rather have the black faceplates on a new 400R or 600R to match your existing AVA equipment, talk to us about it, there may be some savings possible.

Again, come visit us at the RMAF in Denver next weekend (room 1107).  We will have two complete all Fet Valve systems playing.  One with Salk Soundscape 12 speakers, the other with Songtowers, and maybe with an Ultravalve too.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
« Reply #49 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:38 pm »
Hey, I like the name "Fet Valve".  You know it's not a car or spreadsheet or something, it is unique, and sounds cool.  Can it be copyrighted to your company?  ;-)

Maybe something like fet valve Mk2, or fet valve S(ilver) to give the name a little more upper end sound.

Murf

WC

« Reply #50 on: 7 Oct 2011, 12:36 am »
I like the new Silver look.  8)

pardales

« Reply #51 on: 7 Oct 2011, 03:56 am »
I like the new Silver look.  8)

Are there photos somewhere?

WC

« Reply #52 on: 7 Oct 2011, 03:59 am »

pardales

« Reply #53 on: 7 Oct 2011, 04:05 am »

bregez

« Reply #54 on: 7 Oct 2011, 04:55 am »
http://www.avguide.com/article/brand-new-audio-van-alstine-the-fet-valve-series

Here is a link which shows the pictures.

When I read the new units would have “silver three dimensional faceplates”,  I was worried.  All I could think of was Outlaw Audio’s  RR2150 face plate,  not that it is bad,  just a bit to 3-D for my liking.
The FET Valve units face plates look really nice.  Very simple and clean.  Almost like a modern makeover of a classic Dynaco PAT series preamp and Stereo 410 amp with the standard AVA control placement. 

Brad

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #55 on: 7 Oct 2011, 05:06 am »
When I read the new units would have “silver three dimensional faceplates”,  I was worried.  All I could think of was Outlaw Audio’s  RR2150 face plate,  not that it is bad,  just a bit to 3-D for my liking.
The FET Valve units face plates look really nice.  Very simple and clean.  Almost like a modern makeover of a classic Dynaco PAT series preamp and Stereo 410 amp with the standard AVA control placement. 

Brad

I was worried too.  I even made sure the FetValve 400R I just ordered would come with the black faceplate.  The new faceplates look really nice, but I'll be sticking with the black ones to match all my other equipment.

SJ David

« Reply #56 on: 7 Oct 2011, 02:20 pm »
"...Prices: All new Fet Valve units will have the new silver three dimensional faceplates only.

Note that new Fet Valve 600R and 400R amps will be shipping with black faceplates at the old prices until the new faceplates are available in production quantities (6-8 weeks from now).  The Fet Valve preamp and Fet Valve DAC will not be available until then too when we have finished production faceplates available.

Fet Valve 600R  $3499

Fet Valve 400R  $2999..."

The $450 price bump is a result of the new faceplate, only?

WC

« Reply #57 on: 7 Oct 2011, 02:35 pm »

No, Frank determined that he had underestimated the amount of labor that will go into making each amp. The new faceplate probably adds a small amount, but most of it is labor.

bummrush

« Reply #58 on: 7 Oct 2011, 02:41 pm »
Fet valve is fine these are words that identify Frank to a certain extent and which lots of people relate to V A ditch the words at your own risk.no need fir any change.

martyo

« Reply #59 on: 7 Oct 2011, 04:41 pm »

Quote from Frank in a different thread discussing the new amps.

I am training another skilled tech to build these amps right now.  It looks like about 20+ hours of skilled time for either a new amp or an upgrade.  This means the price won't be able to stay where it is for very long as we get a better handle on the labor costs.