ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!

djbnh

Re: ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!
« Reply #60 on: 5 Feb 2010, 11:26 pm »
Just read through the thread, and am wondering if down the road the unit will come with a phone section capable of working with carts in the sub 1.5 mV range - the output voltage of my Denon DL-103R = 0.25mV.

jopagi

« Reply #61 on: 5 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm »
This preamp really looks intriguing. 
I'm interested in learning more about the headphone out.  What were the design goals? (e.g. absolute clarity, analog-type warmth, low noise, high output, etc.) Is it designed to handle all types of impedances (30 ohm for Grados, 300+ for Sennheisers)?
Was it voiced with any particular type of headphone? 
What kind of voltage swing can it produce?

Thanks,
Jonathan

TjMV3

« Reply #62 on: 6 Feb 2010, 12:08 am »
The nicely upgraded Ultra+ EC hybrid preamp remains available with tone control at the same old price.  We were able to fit low profile tube sockets in it to accommodate the taller (and much better) 6CG7 tubes at no increase in price.

It is probably as nice a preamp as you will find out there with tone controls.

Sorry, the circuit topography of the AvaStar circuits will not work with tone control feedback circuits.  We could do it with a separate tone control board, but that would have to be solid state and would cost more than an Ultra+ EC in any event.

Remember that there is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on all new AVA equipment, so if you order an Ultra+ EC and it does not meet your expectations, simply return if for a refund, less shipping costs.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Oh,  the Ultra+ EC hybrid preamp has the new 6CG7 tube upgrades?  Sweeeeeeet!

Thanks!

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #63 on: 6 Feb 2010, 03:47 am »
Jonathan,

AVA design goals have been and are always “do no harm”.  The best we can do is amplify the information encoded in either analog or digital on the record or CD without adding or subtracting anything.

The head phone circuit will handle any load form 30 ohms and up.  I use Grado SR225's  purchased in 1995 with excellect results.

Regards,
Dean

Toka

« Reply #64 on: 6 Feb 2010, 03:49 am »
Just read through the thread, and am wondering if down the road the unit will come with a phone section capable of working with carts in the sub 1.5 mV range - the output voltage of my Denon DL-103R = 0.25mV.

I can't answer as to whether or not AVA is considering such an option but with low-output MC's (and the Denon's in particular) I really like running them through a Cinemag SUT...yea, its an extra box, but it works soooo well.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #65 on: 6 Feb 2010, 12:28 pm »
 Is there a second pair of outputs? Or a optional second set?

avahifi

« Reply #66 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:57 pm »
All new AVA preamplifiers have two sets of audio outputs, two sets of tape inputs, two sets of tape outputs, and at least four more sets of line inputs, one set used for RIAA phono circuits if that option is installed. The tape inputs can be used as additional line inputs if not needed for recording.

In addition, there are three switched AC outlets, headphone jack and awesome headphone driver circuits, and lots more.

The new AvaStar hybrid preamp also has options for balanced line out with XLR jacks, and one line input can also be optioned for balanced line in and XLR fittings.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

ricmon

« Reply #67 on: 8 Feb 2010, 03:49 pm »
All new AVA preamplifiers have two sets of audio outputs, two sets of tape inputs, two sets of tape outputs, and at least four more sets of line inputs, one set used for RIAA phono circuits if that option is installed. The tape inputs can be used as additional line inputs if not needed for recording.

In addition, there are three switched AC outlets, headphone jack and awesome headphone driver circuits, and lots more.

The new AvaStar hybrid preamp also has options for balanced line out with XLR jacks, and one line input can also be optioned for balanced line in and XLR fittings.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank if  one orders the new pre with the phase inverter option will there be a second set of audio outputs (for sub woofer application ect..)?

Thanks
Ric

avahifi

« Reply #68 on: 8 Feb 2010, 06:09 pm »
If you order an AvaStar preamp with the phase inverter option, the second set of line output is normally used for that function.  However we can add another set of output jacks so you can have the inverter and two sets of non-inverted output at the same time.

Keep in mind that the summed inverted and non-inverted outputs driving a amplifier in the bridge mode will have 6 dB more gain than the additional set of non-inverted outputs only.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

guest1632

« Reply #69 on: 16 Feb 2010, 12:26 pm »
Thanks for your interest in the new AvaStar preamp.  Here are answers to
some of the questions so far:

Dave -- regarding balanced inputs on the amps:  We are not offering
balanced inputs on the power amplifiers.

A few further observations regarding the balanced line out and in options.
These are being offered primarily to allow an easy interface of the AvaStar
preamplifier with "foreign" (non AVA) equipment that require these connections.
In an all AVA system, these options are redundant and will not improve
the sonic quality at all.  They are offered for user convenience only.  If you
don't absolutely need them, do not order these options.

Werd -- regarding on the Web site:  We are working on a new Web site
that will include all of the new products.

Otis -- regarding including the new preamp in the integrated product:
If you are talking about the Insight control amp, then no we will not be
including this design in that product.  The reason is that the Control
Amp is a high gain version of our Insight power amplifier along with the
inputs, volume and balance controls found in the Insight preamps.  It has
no active preamp section at all. If you are talking about the recently
announced preamp/DAC combo, that unit is only available as the
Vision DAC and Insight preamp.  The reason is that the AvaStar preamp
board is very large, and there is no room for the DAC boards.

Jerry -- regarding the phase inverter option:  The phase inverter will
work exactly the same as it did in previous preamp designs.

Tom -- regarding using FETs in the new preamp, and phono:  There are no
FETs used in the audio circuits.  After a lot testing of various phono
configurations, we found that using a version of our solid state phono section
with an improved power supply in the AvaStar preamp was the best.

Toka -- regarding the processor loop:  The AvaStar is only available in
the SL chassis.  For those who want the processor loop, additional
inputs and tone controls we are still offering the Ultra+ EC and Insight
EC.

Thanks much for your interest,

Larry and Frank

Hi Lary and Frank,

Slightly confused, as you list the tape loop buffer for the new preamp for $199, and now you say it's not available in the new version?

I do have a question for the FET valve amplifier. Are you Are you gonna upgrade the circuitry to utilize the 6CG7 tube as opposed to the 12AT7 tube, or was it the 6N1P tube? I'll have to go back to the website and read up on the amps.

Ray Bronk

avahifi

« Reply #70 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:05 pm »
Ray, the tape loops and the EPL loops are different things.

All the preamps have tape loops and the buffered tape output circuits is for the tape loops.

Only the EC preamps have the EPL (external processor loops).  I suppose one could use the tape buffer circuits to drive the EPL outputs too, it would take a second board set, but since that loop is out of circuit when not used, it is not as critical.

Regards,

Frank

Vulcan00

« Reply #71 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:52 pm »
I know I need the second set of out-puts because I sometimes use my sub. I dont quite understand how the external processor loop works :scratch:. I have my HT processor intergrated with my 2 channel now using a pre-amp which has a "by-pass", actually it has two line inputs which can be selected to be pass-through. "Pass-through" or unity gain, meaning the pre-amp controls are not be used and the pass-through unit is in control. I thought I might use one of these inputs to pass-though the AVAstar and use it for two channel. Maybe the EPL would work better :eyebrows:?

avahifi

« Reply #72 on: 17 Feb 2010, 02:43 pm »
Vulcan00, please send me your e-mail address and I will send you a .pdf file showing our recommended complete surround sound hookup using an AVA preamp.

The EPL is the best interface because it can be turned completely on or off and the very high quality line stage of our preamp always drives your front amplifier.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

taoggniklat

« Reply #73 on: 26 Feb 2010, 04:12 am »
Vulcan00, please send me your e-mail address and I will send you a .pdf file showing our recommended complete surround sound hookup using an AVA preamp.

The EPL is the best interface because it can be turned completely on or off and the very high quality line stage of our preamp always drives your front amplifier.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

I would like to see this pdf as well. I sent you a pm with my email.

vintagebob

« Reply #74 on: 26 Feb 2010, 05:54 am »
The EPL loop information is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.avahifi.com/images/avahifi/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab2000.pdf
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2010, 03:41 pm by vintagebob »

Vulcan00

« Reply #75 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:45 pm »
Frank:
Sorry to be so late responding to your info on the EPL loop you so gracously emailed me. The EPL loop in my case would be mandatory. It regiures a extra step over what I am presently doing. The extra step of setting the pre-amp volume(AVA) to a reference point doesnt present too much of a problem. Besides being one extra step it does reguire the pre-amp to be on and it means the signal must pass threw two volume points? The affect of two volumes in Home theater wouldnt matter to me.

I have however seen the light!!!!!  :D Although I will continue to enjoy movies and concerts on 5.1, 7.1 systems,my choice of music standard format is 2channel. Thus implementing Home Theater and 2ch  means using one room one set of speakers for me.

Far be it for me to give you design advise but here goes  :oops: . I could not measure up to 1/1000000 of your experience and audio  talents :oops:.IMHO the most reconized,understandable and straightforward method for intergration is the Home theater By-pass. HT-ByPass; the unit gain method where the pre-amp simply gives the ht processor the control by passing its signal internally , whether on or off through one of its designated imput.  Right or wrong most notivce like myself  reconize and are comfortable with this method. If you think the EPL method results in the superior sound for 2ch ,I would respect that and note that consideration in the methods. I still think(for what thats worth :lol:) the by-pass method would result in capturing the majority of persons seeking the intergration of these listening formats.
I would love to try the AVASTAR pre.

Best Regards
Harrison

Charles Calkins

« Reply #76 on: 27 Mar 2010, 02:55 pm »

Quote from Frank.

"Musical enjoyment  The sound is just involving and alluring.  The image is huge and the music reaches for your heart and draws you in.  Live attacks, live dynamics, live reach into the artist.  You listen not to the tunes, not to the notes, not to the instruments, but to the emotional output of the performers.  I can't explain it in words any better than this.  For us, it is a unique and new experience.  For you, we expect it will be the same."

Yep Frank is right again. I sent my T7ECR back for upgrade to the AvaStar. Got here late Thursday. I was up until 2am listening to music. Couldn't bring myself to turn it off it's that darn good. Gotta sleep sometime though!

Cheers
                                               Charlie

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #77 on: 14 Nov 2011, 12:01 am »
Any magazine reviews slated for this model (or ones that I may have missed)?  Word has it it mates up well with Magnepans.

avahifi

« Reply #78 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:34 am »
The Absolute Sound has requested a Fet Valve preamplifier and Fet Valve 600R power amplifier for review.

"The word" is correct, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R will get the very best and more from your Magnapans.

Frank

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #79 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:36 am »
My monster VTLs are going to the grave with me (the wife says the coffin will be made out of speakers) but I could always use a new preamp.
Has pricing been determined yet?  It looks like it's a brand new addition to your web site.