ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!

modular747

Re: ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!
« Reply #40 on: 9 Jan 2010, 08:25 pm »
So how many of you would pay $150 or so extra for an EC version of the new AvaStar preamp that included 8 sets of switchable inputs instead of six, and in addition to the standard functions, a switchable EPL in and out loop, and a front panel "Low Gain" function?  No tone controls.

I would.

Toka

« Reply #41 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:27 am »
I would.

Me too...any preamp I end up buying will likely find itself in a hybrid HT setup, so maximum flexibility is key. The EPL loop would help...or even just a (buffered?) pass-through for a surround processor.

festuss

« Reply #42 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:00 am »
 :duh: What's "balanced"?   Time to do a little reading up on stuff!  Generally balanced ckts do nothing in a home setup.  It does impress the foolish, so scammers that sell $15,000 pre amps can write lotsa fancy wurds about it.  In commercial or studio environments it matters.

festuss

« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:05 am »
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/204_390365502/powerCON_20_Amp_productlist.aspx and they are locking.
:duh: I don't think a Neutrik connector of this style is needed for a home unit.  A bit of overkill. 

werd

« Reply #44 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:04 pm »
:duh: What's "balanced"?   Time to do a little reading up on stuff!  Generally balanced ckts do nothing in a home setup.  It does impress the foolish, so scammers that sell $15,000 pre amps can write lotsa fancy wurds about it.  In commercial or studio environments it matters.

Interesting, and how does it help in the studio in a way that it doesn't work at home?
Nvm this is a gear introduction thread and doesn't need to be overrun by mindless debate.

modular747

« Reply #45 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:38 pm »
Balanced lines are less susceptible to picking up hum fields in very long runs.  In recording studios, there can be 50-100 feet+ cable runs, not likely to be used in a home. Also, studios have lots more equipment radiating EM fields. 

Balanced lines became fashionable in home audio because it could be marketed it as "professional", and the audio rags picked up on it, espousing their usual "imaginative" attributes, which were absorbed into the psyches of their true believer dittoheads.   

To have a balanced line, there has to be double the output and input circuit components, increasing circuit complexity.  Interestingly, some of the same people who proclaim the sonic virtues of balanced lines, also are convinced of the sonic wonders (and circuit theory) of "pure and simple" SETs, which are the exact opposite of balanced circuits...

Danberg

« Reply #46 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:42 pm »
Interesting, and how does it help in the studio in a way that it doesn't work at home?

The way I understand it, "balanced" is for long runs of input cable, so that it will not pick up extraneous noise.  Cable runs in a studio typically are quite a bit longer than you will have in a home environment. 

gjs_cds

« Reply #47 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:56 pm »
So how many of you would pay $150 or so extra for an EC version of the new AvaStar preamp that included 8 sets of switchable inputs instead of six, and in addition to the standard functions, a switchable EPL in and out loop, and a front panel "Low Gain" function?  No tone controls.

I see no reason...  With digital sources becoming the standard, all our items are moving towards a convergence anyway.  To be honest, I see no need for more than 3 or 4.  One for a tuna; One input from the DAC; One input from the turn-table--for the old school analog folks.  Now--I've got a reel-to-reel...and it sounds nice and all...but no way I'm I going to pull that thing out when I've got all my content on a digital format.

The real point of convergence for switching is really at the DAC these days--an issue that you have resolved w/ your latest product. 

Toka

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jan 2010, 05:10 am »

Forgot to ask...does the "no tone controls" caveat apply to the filter switch as well? I'll go ahead and ass-u-me it does, but figured I'd ask anyway.  8)

avahifi

« Reply #49 on: 22 Jan 2010, 04:21 pm »
Yes, to build a EC version of the AvaStar preamp, the tone controls, the tone control switch, and the filter switch would not be continued.

It would have 8 sets of inputs, switchable EPL loops, and Low Gain functions.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #50 on: 5 Feb 2010, 11:53 am »
Question:

If I ordered the AVStar Preamp with Phase inverter option to use with my 5 channel power amp and used two ch. for normal plus two ch for inverted , would this serve the same purpose as using two diferent amps?  I know this sounds crazy, still I wanta explore all my options.  :D

Wayner

« Reply #51 on: 5 Feb 2010, 12:24 pm »
The amplifier(s) used for this purpose must have a common ground wiring scheme at the amplifier outputs, which I'm not sure in your case of a multi-channel amplifier.

Wayner  :D

Wayner

« Reply #52 on: 5 Feb 2010, 01:33 pm »
Now that I'm done shoveling snow, I've come to the conclusion that your multi-channel power amp will not work for this application, because all of your commons make be linked together and that won't work either.

You really need 1 single chassis amplifier and run the left and right as shown below, or:

Or get two identical power amplifiers and run them like this:

TjMV3

« Reply #53 on: 5 Feb 2010, 07:25 pm »
Any preamp I won must have Tone Controls.  It's unfortunate this new one doesn't have them :(

Wayner

« Reply #54 on: 5 Feb 2010, 07:52 pm »
Then go for the Insight+ EC preamp. I have 2 of them and simply love 'em.

avahifi

« Reply #55 on: 5 Feb 2010, 09:07 pm »
The nicely upgraded Ultra+ EC hybrid preamp remains available with tone control at the same old price.  We were able to fit low profile tube sockets in it to accommodate the taller (and much better) 6CG7 tubes at no increase in price.

It is probably as nice a preamp as you will find out there with tone controls.

Sorry, the circuit topography of the AvaStar circuits will not work with tone control feedback circuits.  We could do it with a separate tone control board, but that would have to be solid state and would cost more than an Ultra+ EC in any event.

Remember that there is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on all new AVA equipment, so if you order an Ultra+ EC and it does not meet your expectations, simply return if for a refund, less shipping costs.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rave959

« Reply #56 on: 5 Feb 2010, 09:52 pm »
Balanced lines are less susceptible to picking up hum fields in very long runs.  In recording studios, there can be 50-100 feet+ cable runs, not likely to be used in a home. Also, studios have lots more equipment radiating EM fields. 

Balanced lines became fashionable in home audio because it could be marketed it as "professional", and the audio rags picked up on it, espousing their usual "imaginative" attributes, which were absorbed into the psyches of their true believer dittoheads.   
To have a balanced line, there has to be double the output and input circuit components, increasing circuit complexity.  Interestingly, some of the same people who proclaim the sonic virtues of balanced lines, also are convinced of the sonic wonders (and circuit theory) of "pure and simple" SETs, which are the exact opposite of balanced circuits...

x2

I had to login to give this quote a cheerful  :thumb:

Cheers,
Ian

Vulcan00

« Reply #57 on: 5 Feb 2010, 10:09 pm »
Thanks for the answer Wayner.

Cant beat the satisfaction gaurantee

Vulcan00

« Reply #58 on: 5 Feb 2010, 10:12 pm »
In a unbalanced line the positive signal is the center of the pin and the neg is the outer shield wire?

Wayner

« Reply #59 on: 5 Feb 2010, 11:16 pm »
Correct!

Wayner