ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!

avahifi

Announcing the AvaStar preamplifier, our new star of musical reality.

The AvaStar is a completely new and unique engineering approach to our goal of perfect music playback.  It offers features and functions we have never done before, all to improve your musical enjoyment and system compatibility.

New and Unique - - -  The AVA AvaStar preamplifier uses a never before done combination of active devices and circuits to allow a vacuum tube hybrid preamplifier to reach much further into the music and bring it to the rest of your system, and to your ears, completely transparently and unrestrained.  The main line amplification tubes are 6CG7 types followed by a unique current buffer inside the feedback loop.  The tube does no work, the buffer circuit has less than .0003 percent THD.  It is an unequaled combination.  Of course it continues our leading edge power supply design, with an independent high voltage, analog, high speed, high current regulator for each plate of each tube. There are eleven power supply regulators in a fully optioned unit. The entire active circuit set, options and all, are done on a new double sided full ground plane gold plated circuit board. It is the most complex circuit board I have ever designed, and by far the best.

System compatibility - - - The AvaStar preamplifier has six sets of line level inputs (one used for the RIAA phono circuits if so optioned) done with gold plated RCA jacks,  It also has optional balanced line output and balanced line input capabilities, done with XLR jacks.  It has an astonishing headphone amplifier. switched and fused AC outlets, dual tape inputs and outputs, dual audio outputs, and of course gold contact switches. A motor driven precision volume control is available too. The AvaStar preamp has a time delay output relay to protect your amplifier and speakers from on or off transients from equipment upstream.

Musical enjoyment - - -  The sound is just involving and alluring.  The image is huge and the music reaches for your heart and draws you in.  Live attacks, live dynamics, live reach into the artist.  You listen not to the tunes, not to the notes, not to the instruments, but to the emotional output of the performers.  I can't explain it in words any better than this.  For us, it is a unique and new experience.  For you, we expect it will be the same.

The base price is $1799.00 plus $30 shipping in the continental USA.

Lots of Great Options.

RIAA Phono Circuits.  These are the best RIAA phono circuits we have yet designed, and when combined with the hybrid line stage, provides simply wonderful phono playback.  For cartridges of 1.5 mV or higher output.  Price $199.00

Buffered Tape Output Circuits.  Absolutely necessary if you use analog tape recorders or signal processors connected to the tape loops.  These circuits isolate your sources from whatever is connected to the tape outputs and drive any connected load.  Price  $199.00

Phase Inverter Circuits.  These circuits allow you to connect the AVA AvaStar preamp to two stereo amplifiers for direct bridged mode very high power output.  These are available at the Line 2 output jacks if ordered. Includes a second set of output protect circuits, one for the normal outputs, one for the inverted outputs. Price $199

Motor Driven Remote Control Volume and Mute Functions.  Complete with sender.  Price $299

Balanced Line Outputs with XLR output connections.  You want balanced line out, you got balanced line out.  Price $250

Balanced Line Inputs (one source only).  If you need balanced line in too, one set of inputs can be provided with this capability, again accessed by XLR connectors.  Price $250

Upgrades
to 17" wide chassis older AVA tube and hybrid SL preamplifiers are possible. This is accomplished by recycling your finished chassis.  Note that recycled chassis will not allow the balanced line in and balanced line output options as we had to redesign our chassis to provide these functions that many have requested. You save $500 when we install the complete new AvaStar circuit set in your older AVA chassis.

The AVA AvaStar preamp is available right now
.  All options are available right now too, except the balanced line in and outs which still await some new hardware.  These options will be available in about six weeks.  Available factory wired only, 17" wide, 12" deep, 3.5" high, 15 pounds.

The AvaStar circuit does not support tone controls.  The improved Ultra EC+ preamplifier remains in production for those demanding this function.

Listen and you will hear. We think the AvaStar preamp, the star of Frank Van Alstine and friends engineering efforts, dedicated to the most musical audio reproduction possible, has been realized here with the best sound you have ever experienced.  Our normal three year parts and labor warranty and 30 day satisfaction guarantee on new equipment applies of course.  Our three year warranty applies to upgrades too, but not the satisfaction guarantee.

By the Way:  The Ultra EC and T-8 preamps remain in production, but each with a nice upgrade at no increase in cost.  These units are now shipping as "+" versions, using the much more musical sounding 6CG7 tubes.  This took some real work to fit these taller tubes in the chassis.

The new Insight SL and EC preamplifiers will remain in production as is.  They are great more economically priced all solid state units with awesome performance and will remain available for a long time.

We have lots of outstanding choices for you. Call us at 651-330-9871 for more help.

Frank Van Alstine

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2010, 10:33 pm »
Woot!

A lot happening at AVA!

Frank, are you discontinuing the Insight preamp?

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2010, 11:00 pm »
Whoops, I need to clarify.  The new Insight SL and EC preamplifiers will remain in production as is.  They are great more economically priced all solid state units with awesome performance and will remain available for a long time.

Thanks for the question, I went back and fixed the original posting.

Regards,

Frank

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm »
Last week, the Vision DAC. This week, AvaStar preamp.

Does this mean that next week you'll be introducing a brand new amp?  aa

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2010, 11:38 pm »
Boy, Frank, really awesome.  If I can swing it, I'll look into picking one of those up in the spring.  Will it look like the present product, i.e. faceplates, layout?

Keep up the good work!! 

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2010, 11:52 pm »
No, other than the fact that our Ultravalve tube amplifiers' new faceplates finally came in today and we can now ship, our Ultra and Insight power amps are still going strong and will remain our best amplifiers for a long time.  Of course they will sound better than ever with a Vision DAC and an AvaStar preamp ahead of them.

That is all of the new product announcements for the time being.  We can only do so much here at the same time.  Tonight I am tired, but happy.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

boycephoto

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:10 am »
Hi Frank,

Will new production power amps have an option for balanced input?   UltraValve?

Happy New Year
Dave

werd

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:18 am »
Hello

Looks really nice. I dont see it on your website, or is it?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:02 am »
Phase Inverter Circuits.  These circuits allow you to connect the AVA AvaStar preamp to two stereo amplifiers for direct bridged mode very high power output.  These are available at the Line 2 output jacks if ordered. Includes a second set of output protect circuits, one for the normal outputs, one for the inverted outputs. Price $199

Frank,

Can the phase inverter option be used on only one amplifier, like the current AVA Ultra and Insight phase inverters?

Thanks,
Jerry

Tom Alverson

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:04 am »
A few questions:  Are there any FETs used any more? (not counting the power supply)  Also, does the new Phono stage still use 12AX7 tubes?  I am guessing it uses the same new buffers as the high level stage?

Congrats on the new design.

Toka

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:19 am »
Yet another question...I assume the processor loop is not available as well?

martyo

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2010, 09:34 am »
I had a feeling these 6CG7 tubes were going to magically find their way into the production units. Hats off!

Me too.  :D Very Impressive. I'm particularily intrigued by the phase inverter circuits.

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:38 pm »
A few questions:  Are there any FETs used any more? (not counting the power supply)  Also, does the new Phono stage still use 12AX7 tubes?  I am guessing it uses the same new buffers as the high level stage?

Congrats on the new design.

I think it will use the Insight+ solid state phono board which is totally awesome.

Wayner

bregez

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:20 pm »
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new www.avahifi.com website.  I hope it contains lots of pictures detailing the new product line!!

avahifi

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:39 pm »
Thanks for your interest in the new AvaStar preamp.  Here are answers to
some of the questions so far:

Dave -- regarding balanced inputs on the amps:  We are not offering
balanced inputs on the power amplifiers.

A few further observations regarding the balanced line out and in options.
These are being offered primarily to allow an easy interface of the AvaStar
preamplifier with "foreign" (non AVA) equipment that require these connections.
In an all AVA system, these options are redundant and will not improve
the sonic quality at all.  They are offered for user convenience only.  If you
don't absolutely need them, do not order these options.

Werd -- regarding on the Web site:  We are working on a new Web site
that will include all of the new products.

Otis -- regarding including the new preamp in the integrated product:
If you are talking about the Insight control amp, then no we will not be
including this design in that product.  The reason is that the Control
Amp is a high gain version of our Insight power amplifier along with the
inputs, volume and balance controls found in the Insight preamps.  It has
no active preamp section at all. If you are talking about the recently
announced preamp/DAC combo, that unit is only available as the
Vision DAC and Insight preamp.  The reason is that the AvaStar preamp
board is very large, and there is no room for the DAC boards.

Jerry -- regarding the phase inverter option:  The phase inverter will
work exactly the same as it did in previous preamp designs.

Tom -- regarding using FETs in the new preamp, and phono:  There are no
FETs used in the audio circuits.  After a lot testing of various phono
configurations, we found that using a version of our solid state phono section
with an improved power supply in the AvaStar preamp was the best.

Toka -- regarding the processor loop:  The AvaStar is only available in
the SL chassis.  For those who want the processor loop, additional
inputs and tone controls we are still offering the Ultra+ EC and Insight
EC.

Thanks much for your interest,

Larry and Frank

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:26 am »
Jerry -- regarding the phase inverter option:  The phase inverter will work exactly the same as it did in previous preamp designs.

Thanks, Larry and Frank!  :thumb:

That is exactly how I expected it would work.

For those who are curious, here is a drawing of the connection.

Can this be done to a T8+?  :drool:

Thanks again,

Jerry

robinje

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:47 pm »
This seems like it will be a very nice preamp.  Congrats on your new design!  Too bad I'm all out of money after ordering a new Vision DAC!   :thumb: 

Just out of curiosity, is the headphone amp design/circuitry the same that has been previously implemented, or has that been tweaked, too?  Thanks...

avahifi

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2010, 03:20 pm »
Since the headphones are driven by a special passive output network directly from the amazing new AvaStar hybrid line stage, headphone performance is significantly improved too.  :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

werd

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2010, 04:38 pm »
hello

Can we expect any pics in the near future? Like to see it.

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2010, 04:46 pm »

Wayner