ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !

newzooreview

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !
« Reply #60 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:26 pm »
Frank gave us the dimensions:

Both models are available factory wired only, 17" wide, 12" deep, 3.5" high, 12 pounds.

Picture would be cool though.

Wayner

« Reply #61 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:01 pm »
The Vision DAC (basic version) will look like like all of the other AVA DACs:

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #62 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:13 pm »
The Vision EC DAC will look something like this:

Wayner :xmas:

newzooreview

« Reply #63 on: 24 Dec 2009, 09:23 pm »
Dear Wayner,

Do you know if the basic Vision DAC can be equipped with balanced outputs or is that only available as an option with the EC version? And do you know the output voltage using the balanced outs?

Obviously this is a new critter, so these answers may not be at hand.

Thanks!

Wayner

« Reply #64 on: 24 Dec 2009, 09:49 pm »
Don't hold me to it, but I think that XLRs can be supplied with either DAC. The new DAC puts out 1 volt RMS.

Wayner  :xmas: :wine: :beer:

newzooreview

« Reply #65 on: 24 Dec 2009, 10:04 pm »
Thanks, Wayner. I though Frank said output was about 2 volts (and that was on the unbalanced output). Well, I'll keep an ear open for more info.

Merry Christmas!  :banana piano:

roscoeiii

« Reply #66 on: 24 Dec 2009, 10:14 pm »
That was 2V peak to peak. Wayner is giving the voltage in RMS

You can find the conversion from peak to peak to RMS here:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_conversion_for_rms_voltage_to_peak_to_peak_voltage

Running out the door, so don't have time to do the math...

I for one am very excited about the lower voltage output since it allows me to move my preamp volume control away from the 7 to 9 o'clock range, and it will give me a more fine grained volume control.

newzooreview

« Reply #67 on: 25 Dec 2009, 05:23 am »
Thanks for the explanation, roscoeiii. I learned something new today!

Merry Christmas!

modular747

« Reply #68 on: 25 Dec 2009, 08:59 am »

2V PtP = 1.48V RMS.

charmerci

« Reply #69 on: 25 Dec 2009, 10:38 am »
pardales, smargo,

Santa tells us that you have new Visions, you cannot hide! :D Can we get first impressions soon?

srb

« Reply #70 on: 25 Dec 2009, 12:33 pm »

2V PtP = 1.48V RMS.

2V P-P = 1.414V RMS

Wayner

« Reply #71 on: 25 Dec 2009, 09:13 pm »
Let's let Frank answer this one. It might not be RMS.

Wayner

smargo

« Reply #72 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:16 pm »
pardales, smargo,

Santa tells us that you have new Visions, you cannot hide! :D Can we get first impressions soon?

Let me start off by saying that i have never owned a ava piece -i have owned and sold a lot of equipment since 1993 - and consider myself an equipment monger and more importantly a music lover.

ok - but i only have about 40 hrs on it - it has been running continuously (pretty much on repeat) since i got it on thursday - im using a bryston bcd -1 as a transport - and wireworld gold starlight as my digital cable (not balanced)

as i only will report what i hear now - i will have a more full report next tuesday or wed - when there are more hours - and impressions are more reliable

Right now it sounds superb - very continuous - very flowing - very "right" - very cuddly (whatever that means).

Im only using very good recordings that i own - i haven't adjusted anything - i haven't opened the unit to adjust the "pin" for higher resolution, etc.

smargo

Wayner

« Reply #73 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:32 pm »
What preamp are you using?

Wayner  :xmas:

avahifi

« Reply #74 on: 26 Dec 2009, 06:04 pm »
Smargo, I am glad you like the Vision DAC so far.  However, don't move the jumper to the high bit rate position unless you have some true high bit rate material to play back.  In the high bit rate mode, it will not play standard (up to 96K) bit rate material.  The jumper is for those experimenting with rare source material right now, not for any standard available music.

It really should require no break in time at all.

Best regards,

Frank

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: 27 Dec 2009, 03:38 pm »

Best regards,

Frank

I'm a firm believer that it's your ears that need to "break-in" and not the equipment.  It's also been menioned by a designer that I respect that the best way to break in the equiment is to use it as you normally would.  The powre cycles is what's best not the continous power.  Maybe Frank will chime in for his equipment.

smargo

« Reply #76 on: 27 Dec 2009, 04:35 pm »

Best regards,

Frank

I'm a firm believer that it's your ears that need to "break-in" and not the equipment.  It's also been menioned by a designer that I respect that the best way to break in the equiment is to use it as you normally would.  The powre cycles is what's best not the continous power.  Maybe Frank will chime in for his equipment.

your kiddin ,me right? - please don't tell me what is right and wrong - i don't have "perfect" ears like you - if i choose to leave on a piece of gear continously to break it in - i will do it - thats how i have gotten the best results from hifi gear over the years.

frank can chime in all he wants - but the best way to evaluate gear imo is to have a number of hours on it - regardless of the "Koolaid" being put out there.

bah humbug to you!

srb

« Reply #77 on: 27 Dec 2009, 04:54 pm »

Best regards,

Frank

your kiddin ,me right? - please don't tell me what is right and wrong - i don't have "perfect" ears like you - if i choose to leave on a piece of gear continously to break it in - i will do it - thats how i have gotten the best results from hifi gear over the years.

frank can chime in all he wants - but the best way to evaluate gear imo is to have a number of hours on it - regardless of the "Koolaid" being put out there.

bah humbug to you!

Both Frank and jtwrace were giving their opinions.  No one is telling you what is right or wrong.  Are you kidding us with your caustic response?

Steve

Brett Buck

« Reply #78 on: 27 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »

bah humbug to you!

The "koolaid" is the stuff *you* are drinking. I certainly expect that the designer of the equipment to know if the electrical characteristics change over time. If the electrical characteristics don't change, any perceived "break-in" is in your perception. No Kool-aid required, simple engineering principles.

Brett

tonyptony

« Reply #79 on: 28 Dec 2009, 12:01 am »
ok - but i only have about 40 hrs on it - it has been running continuously (pretty much on repeat) since i got it on thursday - im using a bryston bcd -1 as a transport - and wireworld gold starlight as my digital cable (not balanced)

smargo, for the big question - how does it sound compared to the BCD-1?