TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD Integrated Audio Amplifier..A Modern Day Giant Killer!

Rclark

This will be a lot of fun, hearing these and the Ncores within short span of time between.

My Two.2 is 57 watts on my modded mmg's and I get good solid power to 90db range. This TBI should be good for similar performance.

OzarkTom

The line-up looks great. There are some heavy hitters here in the amp department, so the TBI should get taxed to the max. Many different speakers are represented including Gedlee's, Zu Def's, Maggies, and Super V's.  I was hoping someone had a set of Quads. Oh well, maybe next time.

I will try and get this show on the road next week, I am still waiting on a few addresses. Remember, ship on a Monday so everyone will have a full weekend to play. Throw your best at this amp, you might even try it as an integrated VS. amp-preamp combo using your preamp.

I will re-oganize the order this weekend so you know what order you are in. Happy Listening. :thumb:

OzarkTom

The Dirty Dozen +2 official tour order

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012, 12:36 am by OzarkTom »

beanstocks

Have a set of recently o/hauled Quad 57s mounted on Levinson stands but be forwarned they do very low ohm swings.  Also have Tannoy SGM3000 and an Altec A-5 run by a Yamamoto A-08S 2 watter.  Should be interesting.  Am new here on AC and live in Hawaii, so hoping only at this point.  Ron

Rclark

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Shipping address, system specifications sent to Tom (check PM).

OzarkTom

Great news guys. Paul(Occam), pm'ed me his address today so we can get this show on the road next week.

More good news. My ultra expensive NOS tubes came in today, so I will get them installed in the TBI this weekend. :o

I want to make sure the TBI is running at it's best. There are definitely some heavy hitters coming up to bat.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
This sounds like a nice piece. Keep us posted guys!!! Thanks

OzarkTom

Another good review to read, for those waiting on the amp tour, is this one from TNT audio. Now keep in mind, the reviewer was just using a stock amp without batteries. This reviewer also reported suprising grunts from a vocalist on a certain song with this amp.

This is the review that first grabbed my attention on the TBI amp. I am very skeptical of audio reviews, but for $500, I thought I would try one.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_mini_amps_e.html

munosmario

Another good review to read, for those waiting on the amp tour, is this one from TNT audio. Now keep in mind, the reviewer was just using a stock amp without batteries. This reviewer also reported suprising grunts from a vocalist on a certain song with this amp.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_mini_amps_e.html

OzarkTom, reviewer did not hear any grunts--"providing grunt" (the text in the review) means "performing the job or task" or "carrying the load", like a grunt soldier doing all the work at the battle front. The expression is used in the English version, the Italian version of the review makes no reference whatsoever to hearing "grunts" or "providing grunt."

Cheers,

munosmario

OzarkTom

OzarkTom, reviewer did not hear any grunts--"providing grunt" (the text in the review) means "performing the job or task" or "carrying the load", like a grunt soldier doing all the work at the battle front. The expression is used in the English version, the Italian version of the review makes no reference whatsoever to hearing "grunts" or "providing grunt."

Cheers,

munosmario

I might have misinterpreted that, but when you hear this TBI amp in your system, you will hear grunts and groans and fingers snapping and feet shuffling and whispering that you have never heard before. And as the song tapers off at the end, you will notice more info than you have ever heard before.

On Boz Scaggs, Speak Low album, you actually hear Boz's jaw clicking while he sings. I have never heard that before this amp came along.

munosmario

I might have misinterpreted that, but when you hear this TBI amp in your system, you will hear grunts and groans and fingers snapping and feet shuffling and whispering that you have never heard before. And as the song tapers off at the end, you will notice more info than you have ever heard before.

On Boz Scaggs, Speak Low album, you actually hear Boz's jaw clicking while he sings. I have never heard that before this amp came along.

I have owned one for about six months "performing grunt"--very satisfactorily-- at my desk top system in my office :lol:. Regarding hearing things that I never heard before, I am not so sure about it, my main and secondary audio systems are both top of the line high-end, high-resolution set ups (the difference being high an low efficiency speakers)...now, regarding that "jaw clicking," I have no reason to doubt your enthusiasm...that would really be a first time for me and I am looking forward to replicate the experience in the immediate future. :thumb:   

OzarkTom

I have owned one for about six months "performing grunt"--very satisfactorily-- at my desk top system in my office :lol:. Regarding hearing things that I never heard before, I am not so sure about it, my main and secondary audio systems are both top of the line high-end, high-resolution set ups (the difference being high an low efficiency speakers)...now, regarding that "jaw clicking," I have no reason to doubt your enthusiasm...that would really be a first time for me and I am looking forward to replicate the experience in the immediate future. :thumb:

Have you tried it on battery yet? Also try those mods I wrote down.

Stock, the amp is good, modded and battery power, the amp is great.

OzarkTom

The little guy is packed up and shipping to Paul tomorrow, he should get the amp on Monday or Tuesday. The battery has a full charge, so Paul, don't worry about that.

I figure that there should be a few rules here, so here goes.

1)Remember, this amp is mine.

2) always ship on Monday so that everyone gets to have it over a weekend.

3) Be sure not to play the amp with the battery charger hooked up. That sends out 25V and will blow the fuse in the amp. I have found that once it is tuned on with the battery, the amp will sound it's best in 20 minutes or less. No need to leave the amp on 24 hours a day. You might want to charge up the battery the first day you receive it, that would be a good time to hear what the amp sounds on AC power.

3) Brutally honest reviews are welcome here. In fact, do not sugarcoat your reviews for me or anyone else. There are no hardcore TBI fanatics here to ruin your comments.

4) If your amp beats the TBI, comment on how much yours beat it by? 10%, 20%, 50%? I am all ears. I will go get one one of yours ASAP, unless it costs over $15K.

5) I am sure that many here has an amp that will beat this one in the bass department, so how about in detail, imaging, transparency and goosebump factor? Also play some of your bad recordings, you might get surprised.

6) If you ever feel that this is your waste of time, pm me and I will replace you ASAP. I have some extra victims recruits waiting on the sidelines.

I want to thank all of the Dirty Dozen very much for signing up for the tour. Let the games begin. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2012, 03:16 am by OzarkTom »

wcvb

Hi OzarkTom,

I have quite a few questions about the TBI Millenia MG3

How long did it take to break in and what changes did you observe during break in?

What batteries and what battery charger are you using for your 24V battery supply?

What differences do you hear with the battery vs the AC supply?

What differences are there between 12V battery and 24V battery?

What improvements did the Cardas binding posts make?

Have you encountered any problems with clipping?

Regards,
wcvb

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Great news guys. Paul(Occam), pm'ed me his address today so we can get this show on the road next week.

More good news. My ultra expensive NOS tubes came in today, so I will get them installed in the TBI this weekend. :o

I want to make sure the TBI is running at it's best. There are definitely some heavy hitters coming up to bat.

Tubes   :scratch:

Freo-1

Tubes   :scratch:

He was just having a little fun.

OzarkTom

He was just having a little fun.

Aw, shucks, you blew my cover.

Well, it sounds like tubes are in it. :D

tabrink

• lake life is good
Aw, shucks, you blew my cover.

Well, it sounds like tubes are in it. :D

Hilarious.. I love it!  :dance:

OzarkTom

Hi OzarkTom,

I have quite a few questions about the TBI Millenia MG3

How long did it take to break in and what changes did you observe during break in?

What batteries and what battery charger are you using for your 24V battery supply?

What differences do you hear with the battery vs the AC supply?

What differences are there between 12V battery and 24V battery?

What improvements did the Cardas binding posts make?

Have you encountered any problems with clipping?

Regards,
wcvb

The amp takes about 100 hours to fully break in. The amp never sounds harsh, but it will open up as it beaks in.

I have two SLA 12v scooter batteries hooked in series for 24V and a 24V smart charger. I forget the brand.

With the battery, the noise floor drops and you hear more detail. This results in more tranpaency, more depth, and a bigger soundstage. Small background details are also more noticeable.

The 24V is going to give you 32 watts per channel, the 12 V will probably give you about half of that.

Cardas posts improved the amp by about 30% fom top to bottom. It also added more magic with a bigger soundstage.

I have never heard it clip, even when I had the 88db Classico 3's here. But I never play my system much past the 95-98db levels. I don't want to lose my hearing.