Which amps work well with VSA?

skolis

Re: Which amps work well with VSA?
« Reply #160 on: 7 Mar 2015, 02:41 am »
so no responses to that one.....
How about either Pass or Constellation - anybody using either of those and willing to share?
thx,

gammajo

« Reply #161 on: 7 Mar 2015, 04:15 am »
Just heard the new VR55 with Constellation gear (which VSA also used at the best in Show RAF) and it sounded wonderful to me - quiet, clear, detailed and fully controlling the bass via the active woofer system of the 55

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #162 on: 7 Mar 2015, 08:48 pm »
Shameless plug, and the question....

I know there are a few "big Cherry" owners with VSAs, but maybe we can hear from some Maraschino owners!

JackD201

« Reply #163 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:31 am »
Proving once again that there are many paths to audio nirvana and some that aren't so $$ intensive.  I have a pair of monitors Albert built for me driven by an Emotiva preamp and my old trusty DH200.  It's my pc based system and I listen to FLAC files with FUBAR--USB to Cambridge DAC Magic 100.  It sounds WAY better than it has any right to.  I won't mention how little I have invested but this diminutive system produces sonics that are way up there  :thumb: :thumb:

Oh boy there goes the savings!

VRs are chameleons. We already know that. They really do allow small changes made upstream to be easily heard. So what happens when you put another chameleon in front of it? The CH amps are the closest to tube amps I have ever tried. Hold it. I don't mean the sound or what we expect tube amps to sound like. More in terms of being able to tailor sound by allowing you to manipulate amp and speaker interactions. In this case it has a feature set that I find akin to most tube amps ability to be tube rolled. When we roll we, to a certain extent, manipulate distortion spectra and gain. This is exactly what the CH's allow with some added side effects if we can call them that. The twin features are selectable feedback ratios for the AB output section (input and driver section are Class A ZNFB) and selectable gain. If I'm understanding this right, increase in feedback lowers distortion and lowers gain along with it. That's what I'm hearing anyhow. The damping factor goes up but I'm not entirely sure if rise time and slew rate are affected. In any case, the sound gets clearer but also drier. The decrease in gain, as one would expect from simply lowering the volume knob, makes the stage smaller, more recessed and basically neater, more orderly and less bloomy in terms of projection.  With the VR-9 SE MK2s (important proviso as it will likely differ from speaker to speaker) Dialling back NFB to 0 does the opposite and sound is closer to let's say my Lamms and KRs which have an intrinsic warmth to them. From 40 to 50 I get a good balance between precision and forgivingness of sub par recordings. At 50% reference tracks are stunning but I need to pass on music I really like that aren't recorded well or start recontouring the FR response using the speaker controls. Ratcheting up past 50% and well, not my cup of tea for long term listening. We get into Halcro type sound. Presentation favors transients over the rest of the envelope making them feel a bit lacking in weight. A lot of people like the "PRAT-y" sound  just not me personally.

Moving along, I guess what I'm saying is that these amps afford a flexibility I've never encountered in pure solid state before. Did I mention that they can be configured in Bi-Amp, Monaural and Bridged Monaural? FB and Gain can be adjusted for both Hi and Low outputs in Bi-Amp mode. Doing so allows you to tailor a softer warmer top end and whatever degree of control or grip you like in the bottom end. You get to boost or trim bass too depending on room imposed requirements.

A bad back from crouching at the front panel controls an unhappy byproduct of my adventures. Just two weeks later, they release new firmware and an Android App that allows you to do this fiddling from the sweetspot from a smart phone or tablet. Aaaaaaaarghhhhhhh! I want a refund for my chiropractor expenses  :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the end it is about getting sound that fits your aesthetic sensibilities. Long term enjoyment is after all, our common goal. So what does one get when one mates a chameleon with a chameleon? A chameleon that allows the color of the artists to be displayed the way you want it. :thumb: 

Get over here Albert!

gammajo

« Reply #164 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:44 am »
Verrry interesting!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #165 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:40 pm »
Oh boy there goes the savings!

VRs are chameleons. We already know that. They really do allow small changes made upstream to be easily heard. So what happens when you put another chameleon in front of it? The CH amps are the closest to tube amps I have ever tried. Hold it. I don't mean the sound or what we expect tube amps to sound like. More in terms of being able to tailor sound by allowing you to manipulate amp and speaker interactions. In this case it has a feature set that I find akin to most tube amps ability to be tube rolled. When we roll we, to a certain extent, manipulate distortion spectra and gain. This is exactly what the CH's allow with some added side effects if we can call them that. The twin features are selectable feedback ratios for the AB output section (input and driver section are Class A ZNFB) and selectable gain. If I'm understanding this right, increase in feedback lowers distortion and lowers gain along with it. That's what I'm hearing anyhow. The damping factor goes up but I'm not entirely sure if rise time and slew rate are affected. In any case, the sound gets clearer but also drier. The decrease in gain, as one would expect from simply lowering the volume knob, makes the stage smaller, more recessed and basically neater, more orderly and less bloomy in terms of projection.  With the VR-9 SE MK2s (important proviso as it will likely differ from speaker to speaker) Dialling back NFB to 0 does the opposite and sound is closer to let's say my Lamms and KRs which have an intrinsic warmth to them. From 40 to 50 I get a good balance between precision and forgivingness of sub par recordings. At 50% reference tracks are stunning but I need to pass on music I really like that aren't recorded well or start recontouring the FR response using the speaker controls. Ratcheting up past 50% and well, not my cup of tea for long term listening. We get into Halcro type sound. Presentation favors transients over the rest of the envelope making them feel a bit lacking in weight. A lot of people like the "PRAT-y" sound  just not me personally.

Moving along, I guess what I'm saying is that these amps afford a flexibility I've never encountered in pure solid state before. Did I mention that they can be configured in Bi-Amp, Monaural and Bridged Monaural? FB and Gain can be adjusted for both Hi and Low outputs in Bi-Amp mode. Doing so allows you to tailor a softer warmer top end and whatever degree of control or grip you like in the bottom end. You get to boost or trim bass too depending on room imposed requirements.

A bad back from crouching at the front panel controls an unhappy byproduct of my adventures. Just two weeks later, they release new firmware and an Android App that allows you to do this fiddling from the sweetspot from a smart phone or tablet. Aaaaaaaarghhhhhhh! I want a refund for my chiropractor expenses  :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the end it is about getting sound that fits your aesthetic sensibilities. Long term enjoyment is after all, our common goal. So what does one get when one mates a chameleon with a chameleon? A chameleon that allows the color of the artists to be displayed the way you want it. :thumb: 

Get over here Albert!

..how about a link to their homepage or reviews?

JackD201

« Reply #166 on: 10 Jul 2015, 05:13 pm »
Sure buddy

www.chprecision.com

There are a number of reviews of the smaller amp the A1. A number of reviews of the Transport/Player (D1) and the Converter (C1) too. The M1 I mentioned has no published reviews as of today.

I had a breakthrough earlier this evening. I was dealing with a residual hardness. It would show in peaks. I still wasn't getting that naturalness I've become accustomed too. Impressive definitely but there was still a hint of artifice. It has been perplexing to say the least. A few steps down on the rear ambience tweeter and TA DA!!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

skolis

« Reply #167 on: 11 Jul 2015, 04:31 am »

JackD201

« Reply #168 on: 11 Jul 2015, 09:45 am »
Ooooops! :oops:

Thanks skolis!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #169 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:54 pm »
Sure buddy

www.chprecision.com

There are a number of reviews of the smaller amp the A1. A number of reviews of the Transport/Player (D1) and the Converter (C1) too. The M1 I mentioned has no published reviews as of today.

I had a breakthrough earlier this evening. I was dealing with a residual hardness. It would show in peaks. I still wasn't getting that naturalness I've become accustomed too. Impressive definitely but there was still a hint of artifice. It has been perplexing to say the least. A few steps down on the rear ambience tweeter and TA DA!!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Many thanks Master Jack!

JackD201

« Reply #170 on: 12 Jul 2015, 04:08 pm »
I sure am glad master was followed by Jack and not something else  :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sure don't feel very masterful! The myriad of routes one can take from amp settings to speaker settings to speaker placement to get the desired performance is forcing me to hit the books again. I'm definitely feeling like a student. The added variables is like going from Tic Tac Toe to a Rubik's Cube. I however am nothing if not totally OC. The puzzle will be solved!  :thumb:

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #171 on: 29 Feb 2016, 06:56 pm »
Dear Von Schweikert enthusiasts,

I’m curious which amplifiers are currently being used in combination with the big(ger) von Schweikert Systems or according to you are an ideal match as I plan to replace/upgrade my current Parasound JC-1’s (driving the main towers of my Von Schweikert VR10-MK2 system) within the (near) future.

Currently planning to assess the following brands/types Goldmund (Telos 1000), CH-precision (A1/M1), Soulution (501/701) and Constellation (Hercules). Are there any other brand(s)/types according to you (which are preferably available in Europe via retail) that I should take into consideration in combination with these great speakers?

I’m looking for a neutral sounding amplifier that combines effortless control in combination with a very dynamic and highly detailed performance (but in the end getting close to a live performance is the ultimate goal) :D

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Jan

skolis

« Reply #172 on: 1 Mar 2016, 07:50 pm »
Dear Von Schweikert enthusiasts,

I’m curious which amplifiers are currently being used in combination with the big(ger) von Schweikert Systems or according to you are an ideal match as I plan to replace/upgrade my current Parasound JC-1’s (driving the main towers of my Von Schweikert VR10-MK2 system) within the (near) future.

Currently planning to assess the following brands/types Goldmund (Telos 1000), CH-precision (A1/M1), Soulution (501/701) and Constellation (Hercules). Are there any other brand(s)/types according to you (which are preferably available in Europe via retail) that I should take into consideration in combination with these great speakers?

I’m looking for a neutral sounding amplifier that combines effortless control in combination with a very dynamic and highly detailed performance (but in the end getting close to a live performance is the ultimate goal) :D

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Jan

Wow - one heck-of-a-step up from the JC1's to the items you mentioned.  Not sure I can
really be of help, 'cuz I'm at a step in between.  I've heard - at length - the following with the
VR55's:  Constellation; Bricasti M1; Audionet Max; Pass Labs XA160.8.  I can only say,
each in their own way, was great.  But they were sonically different.  Nothing like trying / listening for yourself obviously. So just consider this some fodder to add to your list.

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #173 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:04 pm »
Wow - one heck-of-a-step up from the JC1's to the items you mentioned.  Not sure I can
really be of help, 'cuz I'm at a step in between.  I've heard - at length - the following with the
VR55's:  Constellation; Bricasti M1; Audionet Max; Pass Labs XA160.8.  I can only say,
each in their own way, was great.  But they were sonically different.  Nothing like trying / listening for yourself obviously. So just consider this some fodder to add to your list.

Hi Skolis.

Thank you for your suggestions :D. I assume you mean the Bricasti M28, which I added including the others amplifiers to my 'short-list'.
Hope to upgrade at the end of next year, so still enough time left.

Best regards,

Jan

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #174 on: 5 Mar 2016, 04:12 pm »
..granted I don't own VR55s but my lowly VR5 Anniversaries are being driven by MC601s...recently replacing the venerable MC501s, and for the $$ there's nothing that competes IMHO.  I realize that McIntosh comes up short when it comes to bragging rights and I'm fine with that.  No plans to change a thing here!

danabunner

« Reply #175 on: 5 Mar 2016, 05:00 pm »
Proving once again that there are many paths to audio nirvana and some that aren't so $$ intensive.  I have a pair of monitors Albert built for me driven by an Emotiva preamp and my old trusty DH200.  It's my pc based system and I listen to FLAC files with FUBAR--USB to Cambridge DAC Magic 100.  It sounds WAY better than it has any right to.  I won't mention how little I have invested but this diminutive system produces sonics that are way up there  :thumb: :thumb:

I own a pair of original VR-4s, upgraded with the VR-5/7 update.  Have owned them for 20 years now and they sound fantastic.  I've played around with driving them with several amps.  Once I connected them with an old Rotel RB850, which I use in my bedroom system.  Manufactured in the early 1980s, I picked it up used in the late 90s for $100.  50 wpc, largely dual mono construction.  I was surprised by how good it all sounded.  Same thing happened when I used an old 75 wpc Parasound amp.  And a mid-90s, entry level Cary SLA-30 EL84-based tube amp made them sing.   I consider my VS speakers to be very amp friendly.  Sure one can keep tweaking and going for that last once of sound, going for certain characteristics in the sound, but I've never heard an amp sound bad through them. 

lovemusikk

« Reply #176 on: 1 Jun 2016, 08:04 pm »
Hi
Should buy used VR-4 MKIII
Is it fine with Doxa effect?

http://www.doxa.no/products_amplifiers_61.html

Do not look at available watts, this brand is pouring out dynamic 2-300 watts.
The reason is that they are so damned musical and the best I've tested the amplifiers and my old 70SE from 90s plays circles around Hegel H1000usb for example.
  70SE I use today on Dynaudio exit.

Doxa as well best light-powered speakers.

Norway's best amplifier brand, I think :-)

If not, what the bass? Not too expensive.

Best Regards from Norway, Lovemusikk

BruceW

« Reply #177 on: 1 Jun 2016, 09:19 pm »

This is the best combo I've heard with the VSA's-- superb!

Bruce W

M41A

« Reply #178 on: 1 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm »
I am in the process of bi-amping my (Leif found) VR5 Annis with balance (makes a HUGE difference )  Audio Mirror mono 45watt parallel SET and a pair of ATSAH class d amps. Talk about magic  :-))

gammajo

« Reply #179 on: 2 Jun 2016, 12:51 am »
Bruce what amp is that?