OK Guru's - I'm lost

Cheeseboy

Re: OK Guru's - I'm lost
« Reply #100 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:15 pm »
That was a good tweek.  I have always pointed the speakers right at me.  Opening them towards the walls a little until the center stage decayed then walking them back improved the soundstage.  I found a place that I liked.  The tweak pushed the soundstage out  to the left and right quite a bit.  Thanks Danny

Cheeseboy

« Reply #101 on: 27 Mar 2012, 06:25 pm »
I did some exploring in the crossover area on the LS6.  Holy Cow they were not switched to full range!  I should have tuned this up first thing.  I had no idea there were set to medium bass. 

More Bass is much better.  At 3 ft into the room they now have a new set of opportunities starting at loud listening levels with the back wall reflection cancelling some of the bass around 45 hz..  However the system sounds really good at reasonable listening levels.  I am so stoked.  They are like a whole new speaker.

I've been able to back off the volume as the bass is more present.  Time to rethink how to tame the room.  I might start with the backwall.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #102 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:02 pm »
Decided to revisit this thread after further tweeks: Unplugged the bass management completely. MINOR repositioning of left speaker as toe-in was about 1/16" off. MORE bass treatment in front corners, swapped speaker cable back to my old Kimber 8TC (black & blue version)

1/48th octave sweep:

1/3rd octave:

The dip at 55 hz is much better and disappears when using 1/3rd octave sweep.

Overall, the soundstage is a bit better with regard to both focus and depth, but I think my vocals are a bit worse  :( - a bit too "chesty" so to speak.

.......the search goes on.

Danny Richie

« Reply #103 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:11 pm »
You might try the bass management set in the first setting (least amount of change) and see if it takes away some of the chest-i-ness in the bass.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #104 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:58 pm »
You might try the bass management set in the first setting (least amount of change) and see if it takes away some of the chest-i-ness in the bass.
That's where it was before. Definitely didn't notice the issue with the vocals when it was at that setting, but I had a MAJOR dip in the 55-60 hz region. It's a trade off that I'm trying to overcome with more room treatment, but haven't settled on yet. Treatments are helping, but not resolving the issue. I LOVE hard hitting drums and bass line, and having that dip (at least 6db and probably closer to 10-12db) was tough on me. I like the bass line better now, but..........

it's why I'm contemplating buying the Super V kit/flat pack :shh:

Danny Richie

« Reply #105 on: 16 Jul 2012, 07:14 pm »
That's where it was before. Definitely didn't notice the issue with the vocals when it was at that setting, but I had a MAJOR dip in the 55-60 hz region. It's a trade off that I'm trying to overcome with more room treatment, but haven't settled on yet. Treatments are helping, but not resolving the issue. I LOVE hard hitting drums and bass line, and having that dip (at least 6db and probably closer to 10-12db) was tough on me. I like the bass line better now, but..........

it's why I'm contemplating buying the Super V kit/flat pack :shh:

That makes me think that you might have had it in the most extreme setting (for small rooms).

It can be adjusted further to be even less than the first setting or it can be adjusted to a slightly higher frequency range too.

I am thinking that the Super-V will fix all of that too though.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #106 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:00 pm »
That makes me think that you might have had it in the most extreme setting (for small rooms).

It can be adjusted further to be even less than the first setting or it can be adjusted to a slightly higher frequency range too.

I am thinking that the Super-V will fix all of that too though.  :thumb:
.....boy, sure would have been nice if it were that simple....

BUT, I did go back and double check. I definitely had it in the "Large" room setting last before I disconnected it (unless the circuit board is mislabled somehow - I had it in the furthest right position with the printing rightside up).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Super V's would solve some of my issues with bass due to the OB design and not pressurizing the room the same way.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #107 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:22 pm »
To address bass issues, you have 2 options, IMO.  Go with one or 2 Open Baffle subs, or use 3 (or more) sealed subs around the room. 

Either one will address room bass modes be very well.

Of course, the Super V is not a bad alternative either :P

Danny Richie

« Reply #108 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:35 pm »
.....boy, sure would have been nice if it were that simple....

BUT, I did go back and double check. I definitely had it in the "Large" room setting last before I disconnected it (unless the circuit board is mislabled somehow - I had it in the furthest right position with the printing rightside up).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Super V's would solve some of my issues with bass due to the OB design and not pressurizing the room the same way.

I am looking at an LS-9 resistor pack (almost the same).

Disconnected is the lightest setting. It is still in the circuit if there is a jumper at the J1 position. Then when you plug in the pig tail the next position is the one closest to the binding posts. As you move to pigtails further and further back (away from the binding posts) then it takes away more and more bass.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #109 on: 16 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm »
To address bass issues, you have 2 options, IMO.  Go with one or 2 Open Baffle subs, or use 3 (or more) sealed subs around the room. 

Either one will address room bass modes be very well.

Of course, the Super V is not a bad alternative either :P
I've got subs (JL f113, MFW-15, and Velodyne f 1500 II) hooked up for HT duties, but I use a ModWright LS100 for 2 channel (via HT bypass). I can't figure out a simple way to hook everything up for use in both HT and 2 channel.

The MW just sounds better for music than my Lexicon does (in any mode).

.... the Super V solution makes the whole subwoofer/bass question a moot point.