Why is computer audio so frustrating? JRiver not working at all - argh

Big Red Machine

I hooked up all my gear yesterday, including the small BP-1 balanced unit I just purchased, and it sounds wonderful.  I hate the red light telling me it's redbook, but I gotta tell you, some of it is absolutely out of this world good.  Most redbook stuff I have is just taking up disc space, but I started playing around with all kinds of music.  Here's one for you, the Pitch Perfect movie soundtrack I bought for my wife sounds stunning in detail and clarity.  Maybe a good recording, maybe a good dac, maybe Jplay is helping, but in the end it is very nice sounding now.

No glitches thanks to Ted taking time out of his Saturday to help me.

(And I'm using some prototype Jim Salk bookshelf speakers with Raals so have good fidelity right now)

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Starchild, thanks but this was neither an Oppo nor a wifi issue.  The Chord Qute series Windows driver has an issue with Jriver, but not with Jplay currently, so we worked a solution.  I have "some" influence with Chord and have an email into Matt and others regarding a better driver.

BTW, kudos to AKlegal for seeing early on that this was a driver issue.  :)

Hi Ted,

I realized it wasn't an Oppo problem but it sounded eerily similar to a dlna set up problem.  I think the solutions offered by the folks at JRiver was good information for anyone using dlna with their digital renderer.  Anyhow, no worries.  I'm glad he seems to have solved the problem.  JRiver is a wonderful software but you've got to be willing to put in some significant face time to get the most out of it.  Its strengh of being higly customizable is also its greatest weeknes imho.

Later,

Mike

Big Red Machine

I have a router right on the other side of the wall from my rig (it receives the hard line from the ATT service router upstairs) but use a switch to connect all the rig gear at the rig(one line to the router, and then the PC, Oppo, etc. to the switch).  Are you saying that if I connect the music PC directly to the router I may have improved performance?  That's easy enough to try.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Hi Ted,

I realized it wasn't an Oppo problem but it sounded eerily similar to a dlna set up problem.  I think the solutions offered by the folks at JRiver was good information for anyone using dlna with their digital renderer.  Anyhow, no worries.  I'm glad he seems to have solved the problem.  JRiver is a wonderful software but you've got to be willing to put in some significant face time to get the most out of it.  Its strengh of being higly customizable is also its greatest weeknes imho.

Later,

Mike
Mike,
Hi.  Hence my 40 minutes of screencast videos I put together  :).  By the way, Pete isn't using JRiver as a DLNA server, but instead a standard local player.

Pete, your router is not involved in your playback.  Your JRiver is local, the music library is local (external drives) and all the router is doing (in this setup) is making JRIver available to your LAN (for Jremote).  You can play with moving things, but not due to this setup.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Mike,
Hi.  Hence my 40 minutes of screencast videos I put together  :).  By the way, Pete isn't using JRiver as a DLNA server, but instead a standard local player.

Pete, your router is not involved in your playback.  Your JRiver is local, the music library is local (external drives) and all the router is doing (in this setup) is making JRIver available to your LAN (for Jremote).  You can play with moving things, but not due to this setup.

Ted,

I found your videos to be very informative and I shall revisit them.  Sorry if I contributed to confusion.  It was not my intent.

Thanks,
Mike