Interconnect burn in

jwes

Interconnect burn in
« on: 24 Jul 2008, 03:19 am »
Hi - I looked and didn't see this covered anywhere, but feel free to route me to a relevant thread.

The question is:  I'm burning in a new interconnect cable between a CD player and an integrated amp (Naim integrated with a passive preamp section).  If I keep the CD player running but with the integrated volume very low, or even all the way down, will this do anything for burning in the cable?  On one hand, it seems if the volume is all the way down, then maybe I restrict the current from the CD player by increasing resistance that the signal sees, but on the other hand, I'm really confused on this point.  Any help would be appreciated!

zmanbands

Re: Interconnect burn in
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:55 am »
Since lasers have a finite number of hours in them, I would not play the CD to achieve burn-in. I would have the CD powered up indefinately for better sound. This should also help burn in.

denjo

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2008, 12:04 pm »
I would use a radio source (analogue or internet) to burn-in the interconnect cable. I always thought that volume was not relevant, so long as signals were passed through the interconnect cables. In fact, I doubt if it is necessary to turn on the amplifier! Anyhow, this is how I burn-in my cables and it seems to work!

jwes

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2008, 03:43 pm »
Thanks to both of you - great advice.  :D  I've moved the cables over to another system completely that tends to be on most of the time.  Just to get signal running through!!

Canyoneagle

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:14 pm »
Sounds like you've got it sorted now.

I would imagine the reason that you couldn't find many posts on this topic is that it has had a tendency to become a flame fest in the past

:duel: :flame: :uzi: :deadhorse: :cuss: :guns:

:lol:
 8)

Warm regards,
Michael