Tube rolling in ModWright PS 36.5 - any thoughts?

Phil A

Re: Tube rolling in ModWright PS 36.5 - any thoughts?
« Reply #100 on: 27 May 2011, 01:17 pm »
I have the DRs and Bugle Boy 5AR4s made by Mullard in Britain.  I looked at the Synergy site and did not see 5AR4s.  Have a link?

Fork

• Industry Participant
  • (855) JAGAUDIO
    • JaguarAudioDesign.com
« Reply #101 on: 27 May 2011, 04:30 pm »
I'll check with them.  I don't know why the 5AR4 is not listed on their website.  It's possible that it's discontinued, but also very likely that they're out of stock and waiting to manufacture another batch.

Phil A

« Reply #102 on: 27 May 2011, 04:42 pm »
I'll check with them.  I don't know why the 5AR4 is not listed on their website.  It's possible that it's discontinued, but also very likely that they're out of stock and waiting to manufacture another batch.

Thanks - I'm interested.  I have the original tubes that came with the unit as back-up but I'd like to have something that I'd live with longer term if needed or I decided to make a change.  It's on my to do list over the next month or two to make some acquisitions

Fork

• Industry Participant
  • (855) JAGAUDIO
    • JaguarAudioDesign.com
« Reply #103 on: 27 May 2011, 04:59 pm »
That was fast.  Turns out that Synergy just doesn't have the tubes listed on their website.  They do still have the 5AR4.  I forgot to mention that I was put on to these by Srajan of 6 Moons.  He uses these in his 36.5 as well. 

Phil A

« Reply #104 on: 27 May 2011, 05:26 pm »
That was fast.  Turns out that Synergy just doesn't have the tubes listed on their website.  They do still have the 5AR4.  I forgot to mention that I was put on to these by Srajan of 6 Moons.  He uses these in his 36.5 as well.

So I can order them from a link there?  Appreciate the effort and response.

david12

« Reply #105 on: 9 Jun 2015, 08:58 pm »
 This thread is very old, but I thought I would "exhume" it. I just bought an ex dem 36.5 from James, the UK distributor in the UK and am really pleased with it. I needed a Pre with true balanced output into my Audio Research Ref 75, the single balanced input was a plus. I agree with comments to the effect that it has a "non tube" sound, but in a good way, detailed, neutral, fast and dynamic, but just a hint of tube fullness. I have heard the Audio Research Ref3, though not back to back and the Modwright is streets ahead in detail and neutrality. A comparison with the ARC Ref 5SE would be interesting, if unfair on the 36.5, considering the price difference. When I go to the dealer to get my Ref 75 upgraded to SE status, I will try to make the comparison. It is academic as I could not afford the 5SE anyway, even second hand.. Likewise I couldn't run to the 2 box 36.5, though it was easy to here the difference, compared to my unit.

To get to the point, finally, Tube rolling? I have read this thread and am none the wiser. I have tried tube rolling on other tube products, some years ago and to be frank, never heard that much difference. So in simple terms, to a simple soul, what might I expect in terms of sound difference and which might be the best tube options?

The rest of my system is a Mac Mini and Ayre QB9 for digital
                                        TW Accustic Raven one/Ortofon 309D arm/SPU Synergy cartridge
                                        Daedalus Audio DA-RMa speakers 
        Thanks guys

Phil A

« Reply #106 on: 9 Jun 2015, 11:33 pm »
I did get the Synergy 5AR4s a while back (and have their 12AU7s in an Odyssey preamp in a secondary system).  I also got their fuses and put them in the 36.5DM a while back.  Love my 36.5DM preamp and KWA150 SE amp (and I've had get togethers of the Space Coast Audio Society at my place and I think just about everyone is impressed with them).  Send a PM to 'Fork.'  He is a dealer.

DigiPete

• Hearing is Believing...
« Reply #107 on: 11 Jun 2015, 01:28 am »
Just to chime in after a long absence:

In my 36.5 DM, I run Mullard 5AR4's(f-32, not so expensive), and 6H30 DR's 80's vintage in the signal tube sockets!
I tried the 5u4G and found them more tubey sounding, fatter bass but less controlled, ultimately went back to the mullard rectifiers.

Just sent my KWA-150 in for the upgrade to KWA-150SE, finally!
Really excited to hear it back in my system

Cheers
Pete

hondo

« Reply #108 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:09 pm »
I have a 36.5 DM.  I have tin ears not the golden kind, my tube experience follows:

I like the 6H30P DM OTK 1970's era tubes the most.  The 1980's tubes are close.  To me these are the super tubes.  Unfortunately, too many other folks agree and they have become expensive.  Fortunately, I purchased several sets years ago before their price escalated..

RCA 5U4G tubes are the most dynamic sounding rectifier tubes that I have used.  The hanging filament or wire hanger tubes have the best high frequencies.  The other non hanging filament tubes with a partial mica have better lower frequencies.  The military tubes do not seem as lively.  The are many RCA 5U4G variations, and they all sound different.  They all seem to share dynamic characteristics.

My left ear hearing is better at low frequencies and my right is better at higher frequencies (learned from hearing test by an audiologist).  When I listen to classical music, violins which are in the left channel sound best with hanging filament tubes.  Conversely, right channel violas sound better with non hanging filament tubes.  To compensate, I am currently using is hanging filament tubes in the left channel and non hanging in the right.  The combination works for my tin ears.

hifinutt

« Reply #109 on: 20 Feb 2017, 10:34 pm »
This thread is very old, but I thought I would "exhume" it. I just bought an ex dem 36.5 from James, the UK distributor in the UK and am really pleased with it. I needed a Pre with true balanced output into my Audio Research Ref 75, the single balanced input was a plus. I agree with comments to the effect that it has a "non tube" sound, but in a good way, detailed, neutral, fast and dynamic, but just a hint of tube fullness. I have heard the Audio Research Ref3, though not back to back and the Modwright is streets ahead in detail and neutrality. A comparison with the ARC Ref 5SE would be interesting, if unfair on the 36.5, considering the price difference. When I go to the dealer to get my Ref 75 upgraded to SE status, I will try to make the comparison. It is academic as I could not afford the 5SE anyway, even second hand.. Likewise I couldn't run to the 2 box 36.5, though it was easy to here the difference, compared to my unit.

To get to the point, finally, Tube rolling? I have read this thread and am none the wiser. I have tried tube rolling on other tube products, some years ago and to be frank, never heard that much difference. So in simple terms, to a simple soul, what might I expect in terms of sound difference and which might be the best tube options?

The rest of my system is a Mac Mini and Ayre QB9 for digital
                                        TW Accustic Raven one/Ortofon 309D arm/SPU Synergy cartridge
                                        Daedalus Audio DA-RMa speakers 
        Thanks guys

one day I may well get a arc ref75se to try with my dm . I have had both the ref5 and the ref5se . they were both fabulous pre amps with the amazing spookily real sound and really incredible texture.  the dm is good but not as good as the ref5se imho. its cheaper though although prices have sadly gone up a fair bit since brexit !!. its now about 4/5ths of the cost of a ref6.