I have a pair of VMPS bookcase speakers that might need a good home

Ronnab

I do not know the model number but these speakers were purchased from Brian in person  around 2001. At the time they were the 2nd smallest speakers he built. They have very little use on them as I have been living with roommates for the entire time I've owned the speakers and find them almost impossible to use under the circumstances. This being so I think they need to go to a better home, particularly as they are now out of production.

Unlike many here I bought these because Brian and I had mutual friends. I am not, strictly speaking, an audiophile in the sense that most people are on this forum. So I can't provide technical specs, though I could get a photograph or 2 of their cabinets in a few days. They had been at ceiling height since I bought them and they're not very accessible.

Does anyone here have an idea of what a fair price for these would be? I would be happy to get what I paid for them in current dollars. I estimate this to be about $1100.00 US for the pair. However, I don't want to uninstall them and I don't want to ship them. Is there anyone in the greater San Francisco Bay Area who might like these?

Thanks

John Casler

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the VMPS Circle.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have the VMPS 404 (the VMPS 808 was larger)

srb

I do not know the model number but these speakers were purchased from Brian in person  around 2001.  .....  I would be happy to get what I paid for them in current dollars.

Who wouldn't?   :wink:

Steve

jackman

Just so I understand, you are selling an older set of speakers with obsolete drivers, pick up in San Fran only, and you would like to get what you paid, in current dollars? :scratch:  If this is accurate, I wish you luck!  I wish I was four inches taller and thirty pounds lighter!   :thumb:

I hate to break it to you but you will be lucky to get someone to come over and cart those away for free, let alone get over a grand for them.  Even though I'm a big fan of Brian (RIP) and VMPS, I would be surprised if those speakers, given their vintage and condition, coupe hold their own against the little Pioneer SP22's I bought for $69, delivered.

Best if luck to you.

Ronnab

Thank you for the reality check.
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 02:28 am »
Hi Steve, Jack, and John,
I honestly didn't know that I was being unrealistic. Since the speakers are out of production, I figured they were worth a great deal if only for parts but I'm willing to be wrong.
I was specifically enjoined by the forum rules not to set up an auction, and that left me with very little alternative but to simply guess at a price. I use them so little that I'll be willing to take them to Goodwill if it comes to that, but it seemed better to inquire here first. Yes I could use the money, but I also liked Brian and admired his craftsmanship. I really did want to give his work a good home. If that is not possible then we're down to the Goodwill wheel of fortune. But at least now I know that.

Thanks

Ron

srb

Ron,

If they sound good and the cabinets and drivers are in very good physical condition (including woofer surrounds), they are probably worth something.  It would be interesting to see a series of decent photographs, particularly seeing that John Casler, who knows as much about VMPS as anyone, could only come up with a single drawing (photo?) of them.

There is little to no information about them on the web, and seeing that most of the existing used VMPS speakers use ribbon tweeters, they might be desirable only to a nolstagic audio buff.

I saw a pair of the first speakers I ever owned, the Lafayette Minuette II, for sale and even though the seller said they were "probably the worst speaker I have ever heard in my life"(!), I thought for a moment about buying them for nostalgia sake, but the shipping would have been more than the price of the speakers ($25).

Maybe they could bring $50 to $100 on your local Craigslist, but either way you will probably still need photos and some kind of technical information to sell them.

Steve

jackman

Everything is worth the same thing...what someone is willing to pay for it.  Who knows, there could be someone out there looking for a pair of these.  Take pictures and post them in classified section with a reasonable price. Who knows what will happen. Good luck.

dubravko

Three small ones on top are 404s.

John Casler

Hi Ron,

As most have stated, the price you can ask is based on finding the right buyer.

If you're lucky you will find a collector, or a VMPS SuperTower, or Tower II owner looking for some surrounds or a Center for a HT.

To give you some perspective however, the 626R which was one of the most recent "stand mount" speakers, sold new for $975 retail list (no discounting or special pricing).

A good general "rule of thumb" is that after a couple years ownership you "might" be able to get 50% of what you purchased for.

Now this is just a generalization and if you find a motivated buyer or a speaker that has somehow appreciated in value then it will vary.

Good luck, and if you do sell them, tell the new owner about our VMPS Circle. :thumb: