Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #40 on: 11 Aug 2011, 05:20 pm »

JT-1 Active speaker project so far.

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #41 on: 11 Aug 2011, 05:50 pm »
Looks good! And coming from you, it most likely sounds good as well...
Any chance of giving us a peek into the blueprints?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #42 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:01 pm »

james

Very cool...

RLL1

« Reply #43 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:39 pm »
 :thumb:

PRELUDE

« Reply #44 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:36 pm »

james
Hi James,
Looks like you are geting closer to see the result and I really want to hear it from you that which crossover you will like more,the digital or Bryston.
Have you decided which amp you will use? I would say a pair 7Bs and two 4Bs would be perfect.
Good luck. :thumb:

Ron D

« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:32 am »
will be interesting to see the results!

looking at the prototype design, the drivers in play and the fact that they are a "Canuck" speaker I have an idea as to who the co-builder is but I'll be quiet in case I'm wrong.... :wink:

mr_bill

« Reply #46 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:37 am »
Striking similarity to PSB  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #47 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:57 am »
Striking similarity to PSB  :)

not PSB

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:42 am »
Hi James,
Looks like you are geting closer to see the result and I really want to hear it from you that which crossover you will like more,the digital or Bryston.
Have you decided which amp you will use? I would say a pair 7Bs and two 4Bs would be perfect.
Good luck. :thumb:

Hi prelude

I was thinking maybe 2 recommended systems: one would be Bryston JT-1 LITE and use 3 channels of a 9B per speaker and Bryston JT-1 MAX using as you suggest a 7B and 4B per speaker :thumb:

The other option I am thinking of is maybe a dedicated custom 3 channel amp with each channel custom to each separate driver ( woofer mid tweet) with the appropriate power per driver?

James

Anonamemouse

« Reply #49 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:19 am »
Hi prelude

The other option I am thinking of is maybe a dedicated custom 3 channel amp with each channel custom to each separate driver ( woofer mid tweet) with the appropriate power per driver?

James

Now this would be very interesting. An amp with a 100 Watt section for low, a 50 Watt amp for mid and a 20 Watt amp for high.
One small challenge here: The power division for L, M and H kinda varies with the cross-over points.

Code: [Select]
X-over Frequency (Hz) Power to Bass (%) Power to Mid+High (%)
250                     40                  60
350                     50                  50
500                     60                  40
1,200                   65                  35
3,000                   85                  15
5,000                   90                  10

So the moment you kinda "set" the Wattages you also set the cross-over frequenties to a certain level. It might be better to have a decicated cross-over handle this. There are many excellent cross-overs available.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:24 am »
Now this would be very interesting. An amp with a 100 Watt section for low, a 50 Watt amp for mid and a 20 Watt amp for high.
One small challenge here: The power division for L, M and H kinda varies with the cross-over points.

Code: [Select]
X-over Frequency (Hz) Power to Bass (%) Power to Mid+High (%)
250                     40                  60
350                     50                  50
500                     60                  40
1,200                   65                  35
3,000                   85                  15
5,000                   90                  10

So the moment you kinda "set" the Wattages you also set the cross-over frequenties to a certain level. It might be better to have a decicated cross-over handle this. There are many excellent cross-overs available.

Hi Anonamemouse

The crossover would be DSP based and we have tested each driver and it's specific power capabilities so it should not be too difficult to design a dedicated amp for each driver to optimize playback.

James

Anonamemouse

« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:31 am »
Hi Anonamemouse

The crossover would be DSP based and we have tested each driver and it's specific power capabilities so it should not be too difficult to design a dedicated amp for each driver to optimize playback.

James

Are you thinking a full system, as in amp + loudspeakers? I would buy the amp (I am thinking about switching to tri-amping for my own set right now) but not the speakers... As mentioned in my previous answer, the power needed for each section varies with the cross-over point. The loudspeakers you are currently developing will not have the same cross-over points as mine do, if I remember correctly the points in my loudspeakers are set quite low. (Seas units can handle that easily)
So for my loudspeakers the power division would be different from yours.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:34 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi,

Yes the crossover and speakers would be sold as a package. The amplifiers could then be used in any number of configurations.  The custom amp would be just a plug and play approach.

The whole idea with this speaker is the crossover, drivers, box, amps etc are all part of a 'system' designed to work together.  It has been very interesting listening to different crossover points and slopes and adjusting phase etc on the go in the DSP crossover. I think though if we make the crossover do whatever is required then the customer could use his own amps if he wanted as long as all the amps have the same gain.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #53 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:18 pm »
Very interesting ideas.I like were this is going.It's a whole new way of looking at a system,
like a person all our parts make up the whole,rather that seeing each other as parts just
that so happen to be connected.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #54 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:11 pm »

1oldguy

« Reply #55 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:36 pm »
Great sound even on youtube.

SHV

« Reply #56 on: 12 Aug 2011, 08:15 pm »
The "active" concept reminded me of the Bryston powered/crossover, tri-amped Waveform Mach 17.  A decade or so ago, I was quite interested in buying a pair (in fact the Waveform/Bryston connection introduced me to Bryston electronics) when John Otvos suddenly stopped production.  I now have eight pieces of Bryston gear but no tri-amped Waveforms.  Funny how thing work out.

Steve

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #57 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:24 pm »
 The drivers remind me of Canton's Vento models. They are well made ,in house German units.The enclosure is similar as well. Are they bottom ported James? :peek:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm »
The drivers remind me of Canton's Vento models. They are well made ,in house German units.The enclosure is similar as well. Are they bottom ported James? :peek:

SEALED = no ports :nono:

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #59 on: 13 Aug 2011, 01:27 am »

James : So your previously professed love for PMC...( sniff ) it was just...(sob)...a lie  ???  :bawl:

Oh the humanity...

D.D.