CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BDP-3
« Reply #81 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:29 pm »
Nice photos.

Question for Bryston. The back panel photo of BDP-3:

I see three USB 2.0 ports. Two are clustered with the ethernet port. One is separated out adjacent to a USB 3.0 port below the two other 3.0 ports.

Are the two 2.0 ports under the ethernet port for ethernet-controlled drives, and is the 2.0 port separated from the ethernet port NOT controllable by ethernet (i.e. iDevice)?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #82 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:34 pm »
 Power from USB ports:

What are the power specs for each USB port -- which ones of the 6 will drive a 1-TB drive alone?

Marius

« Reply #83 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:37 pm »
Nice photos.

Question for Bryston. The back panel photo of BDP-3:

I see three USB 2.0 ports. Two are clustered with the ethernet port. One is separated out adjacent to a USB 3.0 port below the two other 3.0 ports.

Are the two 2.0 ports under the ethernet port for ethernet-controlled drives, and is the 2.0 port separated from the ethernet port NOT controllable by ethernet (i.e. iDevice)?

Yes, certainly a magical frontside, very beautiful and chique.

But an unusual messy backside, not very Brystonian at all... and, proven by your question, not very intuitive. Very interested what's what for though, maybe some hidden features are luring out there. Maybe that new motherboard is cause for unknown ways and options. #fingerscrossed
Who would use the rs232 and vga port these days  :scratch: Isn't all home automation done over the Lan/Ip.

Cheers,
Marius

zoom25

« Reply #84 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:38 pm »
LMFAO from the BDP-3's page:

"The AES/EBU and S/PDIF outputs are fully impedance matched and transformer coupled for the best possible digital audio transmission to the DAC of your choice. Jitter is reduced to virtually undetectable levels."

I would like to think I had some input in getting Bryston to include this. My work here is done. :lol: :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #85 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:42 pm »

Who would use the rs232 and vga port these days  :scratch: Isn't all home automation done over the Lan/Ip.

Cheers,
Marius

Yeah, I've never used RS/VGA on any Bryston unit.

After looking at the brochure, I suspect that one of the clusters of USB ports is for connecting to the USB of a DAC? If so, which one (I don't use USB on my BDA-1)? Ideally, would love to have all 6 USB ports with enough power to accept a 1-TB pocket drive with no stammer issues. Right now, I like my powered USB hub feeding multi-drives to BDP-1 -- no hiccups whatsoever even on Loony Loon (a vastly under-rated OS, imho).

Prosit

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #86 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:44 pm »
LMFAO from the BDP-3's page:

"The AES/EBU and S/PDIF outputs are fully impedance matched and transformer coupled for the best possible digital audio transmission to the DAC of your choice. Jitter is reduced to virtually undetectable levels."

I would like to think I had some input in getting Bryston to include this. My work here is done. :lol: :lol:

LOL I'll recommend you for the Bryston Distinguished Service Cross.
Happy now?

How's the cable/drive experimentation coming along? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #87 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:54 pm »

Yes, certainly a magical frontside, very beautiful and chique.

But an unusual messy backside, not very Brystonian at all... and, proven by your question, not very intuitive. Very interested what's what for though, maybe some hidden features are luring out there. Maybe that new motherboard is cause for unknown ways and options. #fingerscrossed

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

No hidden features - it is just where the connections on the main board are connected to the CPU.  We do not want to start removing delicate parts and moving them around and rewiring or re-soldering.  If we did that it would create inconsistency and also void the warranty on the CPU.

james

zoom25

« Reply #88 on: 9 Mar 2017, 03:12 pm »
LOL I'll recommend you for the Bryston Distinguished Service Cross.
Happy now?

How's the cable/drive experimentation coming along?

I'll update the dedicated thread for the drive. I had an entire post ready, but my computer froze, and now I'm contemplating if I should even bother typing it up again. It was actually a useful and informative post of not only my info but others as well from other forums and blogs.

Regarding the whole digital cable, with my current DAC and using the Mogami 3173 wire in different lengths, I'm sticking with the longer 18 footer cable for the time being. If I either change my DAC and/or get another type of AES cable, only then I'm touching that topic again for both my curiosity and for posting more info.

I tried asking about DC coupling vs. transformer coupling. Got nothing back. Then spent some time recording clips (kinda useful) and uploading it. Got nothing back. I think most people don't care about these things, which makes sense. I mean who would want to keep tinkering with these things after spending so much money. You would expect it to be perfect.

Although, I know from past experience on other components where manufacturers have been hush-hush (and to be fair almost every manufacturer is) when I bring up certain things after extended and meticulous testing. Then absolute silence...until the next update of the product and I'll see my feedback somehow being incorporated. So it all works out in the end.  :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #89 on: 9 Mar 2017, 03:20 pm »
^ Yeah, at least some of them listen to users' input.

Me, I get no respect around here.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't nobody's thinking."
- George Patton

zoom25

« Reply #90 on: 9 Mar 2017, 04:19 pm »
The one thing that got me excited about the BDP-3 was the 8 GB piece. Currently, with the BDP-1, if you press play on any album or song it will play immediately and continue to buffer the next few seconds of the stream into memory and play it from there. I'm not sure how much it buffers into the BDP-2.

However, it could be fun to try out the BDP-3 in two modes if its possible to implement it. 1) Regular mode - plays just like the existing BDPs and immediately

Mode 2 - For us crazy people. Say you plug in a flash drive and then next you can add an entire album of WAV (approx 600 MB) and let it buffer it all into memory. ALL OF IT. I wouldn't mind the wait. Then you are able to either power down the drive or better yet even fully remove it so you have no worries about noise leaking through. Then you press play and listen to it and listen all the way through. This is the only thing I can think of where SSD's, flash drives, and hard drives all truly become meaningless.

Of course, Mode 1 should be the default as most people are looking for the easiest solution, but mode 2 could be fascinating as a second option. Is this even feasible/implementable?

Grant Hill

« Reply #91 on: 9 Mar 2017, 04:47 pm »
Hi James,

did you have the chance to compare the BDP3 with BDP2 using SPDIF or AES/EBU connections?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 9 Mar 2017, 05:20 pm »
Hi James,

did you have the chance to compare the BDP3 with BDP2 using SPDIF or AES/EBU connections?

Hi Grant

I have a BDP-3 at home now but had to give up my BDP-2.  I should have another BDP-2 soon so will try some comparisons.

I would not expect there to be much of a difference as the Bryston sound card is identical in both.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #93 on: 9 Mar 2017, 07:10 pm »
Power from USB ports:

What are the power specs for each USB port -- which ones of the 6 will drive a 1-TB drive alone?

All of them will power hard drives that require bus power and we tested three drives simultaneously

4TB USB bus powered drive
1TB USB bus powered drive
120GB SSD connected internally via SATA

the BDP-3 can likley power more then this, but at this point you might as well invest in a NAS

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #94 on: 9 Mar 2017, 07:12 pm »

Who would use the rs232

installers still use, although there is certainly a shift to use tcpip

the vga is still on there as it was the only component we didn't want on the new system board, but at the same time didn't want to remove it ourselves for reasons James mentioned or be held hostage to a MQO either.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #95 on: 9 Mar 2017, 07:15 pm »
Yeah, I've never used RS/VGA on any Bryston unit.

After looking at the brochure, I suspect that one of the clusters of USB ports is for connecting to the USB of a DAC? If so, which one (I don't use USB on my BDA-1)? Ideally, would love to have all 6 USB ports with enough power to accept a 1-TB pocket drive with no stammer issues. Right now, I like my powered USB hub feeding multi-drives to BDP-1 -- no hiccups whatsoever even on Loony Loon (a vastly under-rated OS, imho).

Prosit

the extra USB ports were added to give the system a separate USB bus to better support 3rd party DAC's that require they be on there own USB bus.  These extra USB ports can still handle a bus powered drive easily enough, however as mentioned a bit earlier if you need more then two hard drives you might want to consider a NAS product.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #96 on: 9 Mar 2017, 07:24 pm »
the extra USB ports were added to give the system a separate USB bus to better support 3rd party DAC's that require they be on there own USB bus.  These extra USB ports can still handle a bus powered drive easily enough, however as mentioned a bit earlier if you need more then two hard drives you might want to consider a NAS product.

Thanks for your replies, Chris.

So, in a nutshell -- there are 6 USB ports there in the photo.
ALL 6 will each power at least a 500-GB or 1-TB USB-powered drive?
ALL 6 are bi-directional (can output to DAC and receive from drive)?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #97 on: 9 Mar 2017, 07:37 pm »
Thanks for your replies, Chris.

So, in a nutshell -- there are 6 USB ports there in the photo.
ALL 6 will each power at least a 500-GB or 1-TB USB-powered drive?
ALL 6 are bi-directional (can output to DAC and receive from drive)?

all 6, plus the two on the front will work with drives or dacs in any combination.

potentially you could connect 6 hard drives to the back of this thing, we haven't tested it, i do know that the BDP-2's firmware started to get a little hairy at five drives.  Also if you have so much you need to stick it on 6 drives you should really consider a network solution.

Cheers,
Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #98 on: 9 Mar 2017, 07:41 pm »
all 6, plus the two on the front will work with drives or dacs in any combination.

potentially you could connect 6 hard drives to the back of this thing, we haven't tested it, i do know that the BDP-2's firmware started to get a little hairy at five drives.  Also if you have so much you need to stick it on 6 drives you should really consider a network solution.

Cheers,
Chris

I use 2 drives at the back (1-TB, 500-GB) plus 3 thumbdrives, into a powered USB hub. BDP-1.

For something like this, I can easily put my library on a single 2-TB drive or 2 x 1-TB. No NAS for me. I like compact drives.

Looks like the BDP-3 is a winner based on the power specs alone (and by inference, speed of handling multiple drives/BIG libraries).

Well done, Bryston!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #99 on: 9 Mar 2017, 08:08 pm »
Chris,

Can the MPad app still control BDP-3?
Ships with Moose or Nutty Nadim?