Gallery of GIK Treatments

rockadanny

Re: Gallery of GIK Treatments
« Reply #60 on: 15 May 2017, 10:08 pm »
EVO - Yes, fairly near-field at approximately 7' equilateral triangle - more recently moved my seat back about 2' and raised 1.5" (have since learned that my speakers have better HF response few inches above tweeter center, so my inclination to raise my seat was, after all, correct). Positioned speakers in room via Cardas method, then moved my seat all over the place, even up (on blocks), and finally settled for this as best spot. Took some getting used to visually as I've never been this close before, No longer so close so visually not an issue, but the sound is terrific. Basement Room: 20.125' L x 12.67' W x 7.10' H.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2019, 08:05 pm by rockadanny »

bacobits1

« Reply #61 on: 3 Dec 2017, 11:37 pm »

This was pretty easy, no measurements (I don't have the means) since I do not have the latitude in the room to position things much. Just too much in here for now.

12 X14 X8 room heavy oriental rug over wood floor. 4 GIK 244 panels on front wall with 2 more coming with scatter shields for my back wall. I'll post another shot when they arrive.

For the money spent this setup is the best bang for the buck I have done in a long long time. Better than a wire upgrade hugely, or any USB doodads upgrade and very near a component change. Really impressed it worked so well, super separation and soundstage, pulsating, it just came into focus. Very articulate tight base and mids no glare. Damn good!

My advice is do your room before you do anything else!!
A very reasonable cost for what it has done.

DN

« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2020, 09:40 am by bacobits1 »

G.Michael

« Reply #62 on: 4 Dec 2017, 01:11 am »
From the condo my wife had a few years ago:

Nick V

« Reply #63 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:29 pm »
Main System:

4x Tri-Traps
1x Monster Bass Trap
5x 242 Panels
2x Art Panels

G.Michael

« Reply #64 on: 5 Jun 2018, 04:21 pm »
Nice to see a room where good acoustics are as much a priority as the electronics.

Good thing you put the art panels on the back wall... would be distracting on the front! 

I especially like your LCR speaker combination.   

What are the dimensions of the room?

Nick V

« Reply #65 on: 5 Jun 2018, 07:19 pm »
Nice to see a room where good acoustics are as much a priority as the electronics.

Good thing you put the art panels on the back wall... would be distracting on the front! 

I especially like your LCR speaker combination.   

What are the dimensions of the room?

Thanks for the comment. I have put considerable effort into taming the bass and the first reflection points in the room, and it's paid off with great sound!

The room is about 15 x 13 x 8. The front speakers are on the short wall.

It's actually funny that you mention that. I've just recently sold the KEF LS50s and Rick Craig from Selah Audio is just about finished building these for me:

-Scan-Speak Beryllium Dome Tweeter
-SB Satori 5" Midrange
-SB Acoustics 8" Woofer

I'll eventually have him build me a center channel to match, but for now I'll be running 4.1 with a phantom center channel. 2 channel is the priority anyway so I'm not too worried about losing the center. Although having said that, the 3 LS50s as L/C/R were as seamless as I've ever heard for the front sounstage in a surround system.

As for electronics, I've made some changes there too. I recently added an Esoteric SA 50 CD/SACD/DAC as the main source, a miniDSP DDRC-22D (all the digital sources run through it, then the Esoteric DAC) to tame the room a little more (mostly low bass and mid bass), and an Anthem Statement A2 amp for the main L/R (for now).

G.Michael

« Reply #66 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:26 pm »
The room is about 15 x 13 x 8. The front speakers are on the short wall.

It's actually funny that you mention that. I've just recently sold the KEF LS50s and Rick Craig from Selah Audio is just about finished building these for me:

Yes, it looks as though it took a good amount of care getting those acoustical treatments just right.  My room is narrower and longer, and I have shelves along the back wall that provide some absorption and diffraction (and messiness), so overall it was a little easier to treat; but overall, the same idea. 

I see that your  new speakers are color-matched to the acoustical panels--nice touch.  If you're looking for isolation platforms or cones to put under those speakers, you might look at the products from Iso-Acoustics.  They make platforms and pucks, mostly for the pro audio world (which means less expensive than audiophile) that do a very good job.

Photon46

« Reply #67 on: 6 Jun 2018, 05:45 pm »
Here's my system with GIKs. I also have four 2' tall GIK Tri-Traps in each upper corner of the room's recessed ledges. These treatments have worked very well and have helped tame the room response.

G.Michael

« Reply #68 on: 6 Jun 2018, 07:40 pm »
Here's my system with GIKs. I also have four 2' tall GIK Tri-Traps in each upper corner of the room's recessed ledges. These treatments have worked very well and have helped tame the room response.

I haven't seen many listening rooms in which the acoustical treatments make the room look BETTER, but I think you've achieved this!

I've installed various kinds of treatments in four different rooms (one of my own and three belonging to friends), and I can't say that I made any of them look better.

I gather that your room, with the hard surfaces and ledges at the ceiling, is an acoustical challenge.  I like how the equipment rack is a perfect match to the treatments.

Photon46

« Reply #69 on: 6 Jun 2018, 11:27 pm »
Thanks for your comments. Actually, the room is fairly benign in its untreated state. We had wall to wall carpet originally and I was quite worried that the change to hardwood floors would be big negative but that wasn't the case. The wall to the left of the wall shown has a large open hall and kitchen opening which helps avoid very large dips and peaks in the bass region. There's a large Oriental rug with thick pad in the area between the seating position and the area seen in the photo and another Oriental rug in the area to the left of the frame, so only 50% of the room flooring is hard surface. There are also thick lined draperies covering most of the wall to the right of the frame.

cordobaman

« Reply #70 on: 13 Dec 2019, 05:22 pm »

Covering three Audio Circles with one post!
 (GIK, Spatial, and GR Research)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #71 on: 13 Dec 2019, 07:43 pm »
You guys have some really nice looking rooms. Can't wait to get my racks configured and start loading them into my new space. Soon.

G.Michael

« Reply #72 on: 13 Dec 2019, 08:23 pm »
Nice room!  The acoustic panels/wall art fit so well.  I see you have one tucked into the back corner, too.   

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #73 on: 14 Dec 2019, 07:56 pm »

Best,
Anand.

Jaytor

« Reply #74 on: 16 Jan 2020, 04:00 am »
Here are a couple photos of my listening room. Mostly GIK treatments.

On the front wall I have two GIK 2'x2'x6" bass trap diffusors sitting on the floor, two GIK 2'x4'x4" bass trap diffusors using the free-standing footers, and a pair of DIY 16" x 6' tube traps.

On the side walls, I have six 2'x2'x2" DIY panels on each side, three 2'x4'x4" GIK art panels with scatter plates on the left, and one GIK 3'x4' 242 art panel on the right above the fire place.

On the ceiling, I have six GIK 242 panels hung about 3" below the ceiling. I mounted a framework using aluminum angle strips from Home Depot on the back of the panels to secure them together and provide a way to hang them. I decided this was easier than trying to using GIK's brackets to hang each panel individually.

Speakers are GR Research NX-Oticas with triple 12" OB servo subs.

SFDude

« Reply #75 on: 16 Jan 2020, 10:39 pm »
Jaytor, can I move in to your home and live in that room? Absolutely great setup there!

Jaytor

« Reply #76 on: 16 Jan 2020, 11:15 pm »
Ha... well if you are ever in Portland and want to come by for a listen, let me know. Thanks for the compliment.

G.Michael

« Reply #77 on: 17 Jan 2020, 12:26 am »
Anand,
Nice theater!  Are the speakers angled for nearfield listening/viewing?

G.Michael

« Reply #78 on: 17 Jan 2020, 12:29 am »
Jaytor,
Let's see... Hardware, Acoustics, Interior Design.  You've scored the audiophile trifecta!  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #79 on: 17 Jan 2020, 12:50 am »
Anand,
Nice theater!  Are the speakers angled for nearfield listening/viewing?

Yes, it’s a 110 inch screen but 90% of the time my room is used for 2 channel. I was meaning to take a picture of the rest of the room, to illustrate the space better.

The angling of the speaker is on purpose, as the off axis response out to 60 degrees or so is tremendously smooth. The asymptotes cross about 2 feet in front of me as such both listeners to the left or right of me get very even coverage. Extreme toe in as seen in the picture tremendously enhances image specificity by minimizing  early reflections. Staging is quite broad and deep (although the depth is likely from the diffusers on the rear side walls). More info in my systems page.

Best,
Anand.