Emil

Re: Cancelled my Tidal subscription
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2018, 06:59 pm »
We may have another option coming in May

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/discover

JakeJ

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2018, 07:13 pm »
I'm a senior audiophool and so far I like Tidal and will continue for now.  I can find music I know and like, I like the fact that the ECM catalog is becoming available on Tidal, and I continue to find new and great music as well.  Spotify, however, does not impress me.  Too few choices.  I'll have to check out qobuz.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2018, 08:02 pm »
Sort of ironic considering how much bitchin' I did over Bryston's Tidal interface. But after about a year, realized it wasn't worth $20/month to me (YMMV).

My main complaint is how Tidal organizes music.

I completely understand how the frustration of technical challenges can truly lead to one giving up. I was advised to stay away from Bryston for that reason... But how a streaming service organizes music seems like a non issue to me.

I haven’t tried Tidal yet (or any other streaming service for that matter) but don’t they offer a search option so that you can quite literally access anything and everything you desire with just a few key strokes? For example, some tells me about an album or band I’ve never heard of before, can’t I enter such information into a search field and quickly access it within a few seconds?

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:49 am »
I completely understand how the frustration of technical challenges can truly lead to one giving up. I was advised to stay away from Bryston for that reason... But how a streaming service organizes music seems like a non issue to me.

I haven’t tried Tidal yet (or any other streaming service for that matter) but don’t they offer a search option so that you can quite literally access anything and everything you desire with just a few key strokes? For example, some tells me about an album or band I’ve never heard of before, can’t I enter such information into a search field and quickly access it within a few seconds?
I stuck with Tidal for almost a year for some of the reasons mentioned. MQA promising high rez streaming. A huge library of music at your fingertips. But I still quit. If Tidal had an interface like Roon I probably would have stayed. But their search function is surprisingly poor, IMO. My experience was that you can search by artist or title only, not genre or anything else. And unlike YouTube, for example, there are no recommendations based upon your history or what you have favorited. I also really don't care for their fixed playlist-based format, or at least, the way they execute it. I have found more satisfaction with Pandora's format of Radio Stations of so many genres. For example, if I'm in the mood to listen to Smooth Jazz or 80s New Wave or tunes based on a specific band, I just select that. But finding such specific playlists on Tidal is just about impossible. I do think Spotify is better than Tidal in this regard. And Tidal's "Artist Radio" feature is unsatisfactory. If you select, say, Allman Brotners Artist Radio there are no Allman Brothers songs at all, and it's a fixed playlist of 15 or 20 songs that never changes (from what I can tell). If you select to play the most popular Allman Brothers songs (which you can also do on the artist's page) again, it's a fixed unchanged thing so once you listen to it once, there's nothing new (of course you can create your own playlist, and hit the "random" button, but I like the mystery and randomness of something like Pandora.)

If you see an interesting recommendation in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound, there's a good chance you won't find it on Tidal if it's classical, but jazz you might have better luck. Looking for a specific recording of something by Mozart? Good luck. Don't think that Tidal has EVERYTHING. They don't. To be fair they do have a rich selection on some things, for example their collection of Grateful Dead stuff is really extensive and pretty great.

Finally, and surprisingly (to me) was that having a huge library of music wasn't nearly as compelling as I thought it would be. I don't need every Elton John album, I like maybe four.

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2018, 08:52 am »
Do you know that if you have 10,000 songs (at 3 minutes each) in your library and you listen for 8 hours a day that you won't hear the same song in over 62 days of listening?

Sometimes completely going through your library is a good way of listening to "new" music. When I put my library on shuffle, sometimes I'll say to myself - what's that?

mav52

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2018, 01:22 pm »
I stuck with Tidal for almost a year for some of the reasons mentioned. MQA promising high rez streaming. A huge library of music at your fingertips. But I still quit. If Tidal had an interface like Roon I probably would have stayed. But their search function is surprisingly poor, IMO. My experience was that you can search by artist or title only, not genre or anything else. And unlike YouTube, for example, there are no recommendations based upon your history or what you have favorited. I also really don't care for their fixed playlist-based format, or at least, the way they execute it. I have found more satisfaction with Pandora's format of Radio Stations of so many genres. For example, if I'm in the mood to listen to Smooth Jazz or 80s New Wave or tunes based on a specific band, I just select that. But finding such specific playlists on Tidal is just about impossible. I do think Spotify is better than Tidal in this regard. And Tidal's "Artist Radio" feature is unsatisfactory. If you select, say, Allman Brotners Artist Radio there are no Allman Brothers songs at all, and it's a fixed playlist of 15 or 20 songs that never changes (from what I can tell). If you select to play the most popular Allman Brothers songs (which you can also do on the artist's page) again, it's a fixed unchanged thing so once you listen to it once, there's nothing new (of course you can create your own playlist, and hit the "random" button, but I like the mystery and randomness of something like Pandora.)

If you see an interesting recommendation in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound, there's a good chance you won't find it on Tidal if it's classical, but jazz you might have better luck. Looking for a specific recording of something by Mozart? Good luck. Don't think that Tidal has EVERYTHING. They don't. To be fair they do have a rich selection on some things, for example their collection of Grateful Dead stuff is really extensive and pretty great.

Finally, and surprisingly (to me) was that having a huge library of music wasn't nearly as compelling as I thought it would be. I don't need every Elton John album, I like maybe four.

Regarding the Allman Brothers, there is over 35 LP's on there, from MQA to non.

And regarding Mozart over 30 LP's on Tidal

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2018, 02:25 pm »

but there are more than 1K digital recs of Mozart.....

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2018, 02:45 pm »
I for one am tired of algorithms telling me what they I should listen to, watch, and read. Because if you have a truly broad range of interests they don't know how to handle that. They are only good for filling in whatever bubble they think you live in. So I am not bothered by tidals lack of recommendations. And I am not willing to pay roon hundreds for what I can learn for free on the internet.

Jonathan

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2018, 03:00 pm »
I, like others here, still enjoy Tidal very much. I don't see that they lump Classical and Jazz together, at least not when I search for new recordings by genre. That said, their search function is pretty bad and there's practically nothing available in the way of metadata when accessing it through the awful Audirvana Plus remote app. I much preferred Roon in this regard, but I just could not justify paying $500 for a "lifetime" membership. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2018, 03:08 pm »
Do you know that if you have 10,000 songs (at 3 minutes each) in your library and you listen for 8 hours a day that you won't hear the same song in over 62 days of listening?

Sometimes completely going through your library is a good way of listening to "new" music. When I put my library on shuffle, sometimes I'll say to myself - what's that?

I've been doing that some lately: "Hmm, haven't listened to this in a long time...."

EDS_

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2018, 03:51 pm »
I like Tidal a lot and use it more or less all the time.

Krutsch

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2018, 03:51 pm »
I've been doing that some lately: "Hmm, haven't listened to this in a long time...."

Not to sound like a shill for Roon, but... this is one reason why I've been using Roon more with the BDP-1.

I sometimes get stuck in a rut and listen to a dozen albums over-and-over (usually the newer ones purchased). With Roon, I will still play those new albums, but clicking on "Focus on Similar" brings up a collection of similar albums (based on genre and who knows what else).

Then I will say: "Hmm, haven't listened to this in a long time...."

The genre browser on Roon is good for this, as well.

By the way, Soundirok does a decent job at showing related artists, in case you don't use Roon and are listening with MPD playback on your BDP.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2018, 05:01 pm »
I only use Tidal BECAUSE of it's interface in Roon. As a stand-alone service, I'd drop it. I agree the search function, similar artists-type functions, and selection doesn't fit me. If Roon offered integration with other services (even without CD quality, just so I could discover and try new stuff easily before purchasing), I'd definitely explore that. I'm excited for a Qobuz option IF Roon can get them on board.

MoPac

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2018, 05:12 pm »
Larry:
 I agree that Tidal's classical search is not very user friendly, but I have found that if you look up the album on Presto Classical and enter the artists listed in the description you will often find what you want.  The artist may be the orchestra, one of the soloists, the conductor or maybe, as i should be, the composer.  At times you will only find what you want in the Top Tracks or Appears On listings.

Often I can find a piece by searching as such:  Shostakovich Symphony no. 8.  Now they will all be listed.  For instance, I was just now looking for the album Robin de Raaff: Entangled Tales.  From Presto Classical I tried all the artists listed in Presto which included 3 orchestras and 2 conductors.  None of those worked, but when I tried Robin de Raaff and chose to view all Artists the listing showed "The Hague Philharmonic, Robin de Raaff & Neeme Jarvi" which when used, found the correct album.  Using "Entangled Tales" also found the album.

Usually I find what I'm looking for and then I list it in a document so I know where to find it in the future.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2018, 05:43 pm »
I for one am tired of algorithms telling me what they I should listen to...

I am not bothered by tidals lack of recommendations...

I am not willing to pay roon hundreds for what I can learn for free on the internet.’

All very good points.  :thumb: :thumb:

Some people want to be spoon fed, I don’t.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 26 Jan 2018, 06:21 pm »
And regarding Mozart over 30 LP's on Tidal
but there are more than 1K digital recs of Mozart.....
Exactly! 30 Mozart LP's is a bit of a joke. And it's not like those 30 LP's are the cream of the crop of Mozart recordings. They are not. However, with classical, many more albums are available that are not on the composer's homepage. You have to search the name of the piece, and get one letter or word wrong and you probably won't find it. (So if you search for--Bach suites for solo cello--you will find stuff not on the Bach homepage, and the homepage doesn't help at all in informing you of this.)
I only use Tidal BECAUSE of it's interface in Roon.
Agreed, but I can't really justify the cost of both, month after month. Perhaps I'm too set in my tastes and don't need access to so much stuff.

Calypte

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jan 2018, 06:38 pm »
Larry, your posts have been a big help to me.  I have a brand new BDP-pi, and I've been wondering if TIDAL is worth investigating.  I'm mainly a classical music listener, with some excursions into jazz and older pop standards.  From what I'm reading here about TIDAL, I needn't bother.  The price of Roon makes it a non-starter for me.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2018, 07:14 pm »
Exactly! 30 Mozart LP's is a bit of a joke. And it's not like those 30 LP's are the cream of the crop of Mozart recordings. They are not. However, with classical, many more albums are available that are not on the composer's homepage. You have to search the name of the piece, and get one letter or word wrong and you probably won't find it. (So if you search for--Bach suites for solo cello--you will find stuff not on the Bach homepage, and the homepage doesn't help at all in informing you of this.) Agreed, but I can't really justify the cost of both, month after month. Perhaps I'm too set in my tastes and don't need access to so much stuff.

Hey, I didn't think you were the "type" who listened to classical. Maybe your avatar photo biased me.....   :lol: :green:

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2018, 07:16 pm »
Larry, your posts have been a big help to me.  I have a brand new BDP-pi, and I've been wondering if TIDAL is worth investigating.  I'm mainly a classical music listener, with some excursions into jazz and older pop standards.  From what I'm reading here about TIDAL, I needn't bother.  The price of Roon makes it a non-starter for me.
It's not clear to me if this is a 3-month free trial, but it might be: https://www.groupon.com/deals/tidal-music-streaming-3

The Tidal website offers a one-month free trial. Why not give it a whirl? But obviously I found it really wasn't for me.

wushuliu

« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2018, 07:21 pm »
We may have another option coming in May

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/discover

About time. They can fill the void that leaves some Tidal people unhappy. Won't be cheap, though. I'm betting it'll be >$25/mo.

Sigh. I miss you MOG, you were the best.