Introducing myself

NewbCanuk

Introducing myself
« on: 12 Dec 2017, 11:50 pm »
Hi I am NewbCanuk as the name suggests I am relatively new to the DYI audio stuff. I also am member on another forum as well. Just want to get as much info as possible. I have built my own speakers from scratch and have also built a Raspberry Pi system with DAC and amp stacked. I am keen to learn more and I am willing to read, see what others suggest and have built. Since my work background is graphic designer and photographer (30 Year’s) I have a beginner electrical knowledge. So... I am ready to get going! The image attached is the 2.1 Raspberry Pi system I built a year ago.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2017, 11:57 pm »
Welcome NewbCanuk :thumb:
Nice speaker.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2017, 11:58 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC NewbCanuk   :thumb:   Nice setup.  8)

NewbCanuk

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2017, 12:58 am »
Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to what everyone is building and learning lots!  :D

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:18 am »
Welcome to AC!

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2017, 04:24 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, NewbCanuk.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2017, 07:35 am »
Welcome to AC!

What led you to choose the speakers you built? I assume they're single driver/full range, yes? Had you already listened to similar speakers before these?

I ask not to be nosy, but out of curiosity. I've 'watched' my own progression from preferring two-way monitors to three-way floorstanders. Yet lately, I've begun wondering about single driver speakers and whether they can find a place in one of my systems. I'm in no rush to change - just thinking aloud here.

Regards,

Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:16 pm »
Welcome.

Hope you pull your speakers out into the room for serious listening.

Michael,

Single driver speakers do so much right, yet aren't for everyone.  They're ideal for reproducing small ensembles in smaller rooms or for near-field listening.  They can't do both deep high spl bass and the highest frequencies with great dispersion, although my now out of production Brines Acoustics M18-F200 come close.  Most lack a flat frequency response and have exhibit more colorations than typical speakers.  But there's no phase confusion thanks to multiple drivers or crossover and the power amp 'sees' the simple driver load more directly for a better coupling.  And as shown here a subwoofer is often needed to reach lower bass regions.

NewbCanuk

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2017, 02:25 pm »
I am new to the speaker building scene, I spent about two months researching all types speaker types etc. In doing this research I came across the Tang Band W3-315E FR driver which does have a huge following and liking in The TABAQ design. Unfortunately though this driver is hard to find now, but there are others that work really well in this enclosure. The 315E driver in the design enclosure is actually remarkable IMHO. I also wanted to build something that was not to difficult, and the outcome was remarkable. You can also add easily a 4” driver to this enclosure design with no changes to it, but does allow for lower end, which many have done.

This link provides background to the designers design, https://www.kvart-bolge.com/single-post/2015/04/07/Interview-With-Loudspeaker-Designer-and-Kvart-B%C3%B8lge-CoFounder-Bj%C3%B8rn-Johannesen

Many who have heard my system can’t believe what’s coming out of these little things. I did add a sub built from another Tang Band driver, about a month ago which does help the lower end, but was also happy for 8 months just listening to the TABAQs by themselves. So this system is wonderful for the 10 x 14 room they sit in. I have spent lots of time placing the speakers around the room, and what sounded best to us.