I have FINALLY gotten things up and running

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
I have FINALLY gotten things up and running
« on: 1 Dec 2017, 02:17 am »
LIO DHT PRE, DAC 2.0, phonostage, Acoustic Signature WOW XXL with Hana Shibata MC cart, VR120 powering Joseph Audio Pulsars. Network streamer is the Bryston BDP-3.  I'm a happy camper!

Last finishing touches is to switch the Pulsars for the more stable floorstanding Perspectives, and Jeff Joseph has graciously accepted my current speakers in trade for the perspectives, which he's finishing in birdseye maple to match the rest of my house.

It only took 2.5 years to get this far, so I'm pretty happy that the worst is over!  Now on to enjoy the music! :)

dpatters

Re: I have FINALLY gotten things up and running
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2017, 10:54 am »
Nice :thumb:!  I love the console setup.

Don P.

LARRY KYOTO

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2017, 10:59 am »
Enjoy!

Thirsty

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2017, 11:38 am »
Nice system, I bet it sounds great. I've always wanted to listen to the Pulsars.
I like the guitar cabinet, how many can you squeeze in there?

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2017, 02:00 pm »
Great looking room.  How’s that speaker placement working out?

gene9p

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2017, 03:07 pm »
is that the RCA dog sitting on the couch.....???.... :lol:

Shredder

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2017, 07:11 pm »
I have heard the Pulsars, very nice.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2017, 05:14 pm »
Nice system, I bet it sounds great. I've always wanted to listen to the Pulsars.
I like the guitar cabinet, how many can you squeeze in there?

Six full sized acoustics, more electrics.  I learned a long time ago that I didn’t need a man cave, rather my wife and I had to agree on decor and I would be allowed to have my toys in plain sight :)

matthewpartrick

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2017, 05:15 pm »
is that the RCA dog sitting on the couch.....???.... :lol:

It’s a French Bulldog :)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2017, 11:33 pm »
Hi matthewpartrick,

Congratulations! 

That's a nice looking console, with opening for your turntable and space for records and the rest
of your gear.  8)

If you find the bass to be too heavy or muddy, you might want to try shifting your right speaker out of
the corner (at least 1.5 - 2 feet over to the left) and then you can re-center your console.  If you find
you don't need to with your Pulsars, you might with the floorstanding Perspectives. 

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy it!

Vinnie

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2017, 12:06 am »
Yes, a very nice set-up! Must sound great!

Enjoy!

Pete

yardbird4

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2017, 04:55 pm »
Six full sized acoustics, more electrics.  I learned a long time ago that I didn’t need a man cave, rather my wife and I had to agree on decor and I would be allowed to have my toys in plain sight :)

I have found that this is the plan that works well.  The LIO system is in the family room.  I maintain a smaller more modest system in my basement in case my wife is entertaining her lady friends and I need my music fix - which of course I always do.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2017, 02:50 pm »
Hi matthewpartrick,

Congratulations! 

That's a nice looking console, with opening for your turntable and space for records and the rest
of your gear.  8)

If you find the bass to be too heavy or muddy, you might want to try shifting your right speaker out of
the corner (at least 1.5 - 2 feet over to the left) and then you can re-center your console.  If you find
you don't need to with your Pulsars, you might with the floorstanding Perspectives. 

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy it!

Vinnie

I need all the help I can get with the speaker placement.  As you can see the room shape is far from ideal; when the perspectives show up I was toying around with the idea of baffling one of the ports and leaving the other one open.  Either way I will be able to rattle fillings in Havana :)

matthewpartrick

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:02 pm »
I also plan on biwiring the Perspectives and testing the placement with a frequency sweep.  High quality towers have been a lifelong dream for me and the ultracap power from Vinnie is an av nerd's dream come true.  visualize "shine on you crazy diamond" with your head in a vice and you can sense my anticipation.

Norman Tracy

• Industry Participant
    • Audio Crafters Guild
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:36 pm »
Hi Matthew,

I want to add my compliments on the style of your system. As the owner of a Mid-century Modern home the simple clean lines of the room and its contents are my cup of tea. Love the atomic clock, light fixture, rug, and bubble chair. As an audiophile I admire how what is technically an advanced and rather complex system is housed in a clean domestically friendly console. Is the console custom built or re-purposed original?

Of course to really finish off the look you need a pair of JBL C38s with the chrome legs.  :D

Happy Listening!

matthewpartrick

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2017, 03:49 am »
I got the console from Urban Outfitters i think, maybe $250.  I added felt foot stickers and those two spare pieces of granite from when they cut the countrrtops.  overall I'm pleased! And yes we went all out on the mid mod look :)

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 7 Dec 2017, 12:38 pm »
Nice room. Does having the speaker in the corner cause echo? Can you pull out the speakers 12 inches?

matthewpartrick

« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2017, 03:18 am »
Nice room. Does having the speaker in the corner cause echo? Can you pull out the speakers 12 inches?

Probsbly.  The pulsars are getting replaced with Perspectives next month and I've got a friend in town that's a recording engineer and am going to solicit his help.

joneill

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2017, 05:19 pm »
Will the Lio drive the Perspectives to adequate listening levels?

CSI

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2017, 09:25 pm »
As usual it will depend on your personal definition of "adequate listening levels". You can often get an idea of real power needs by looking at the sensitivity and power handling specs of a speaker but Joseph doesn't supply those numbers. The Stereophile review said they sounded "lean" with a 280 watt class D amp but very good with a 60 watt class A amp (Pass Labs) which they used for their review. On paper, a 25 watt amp (LIO) will only be a few dB down from a 60 watter (at full output) and if you don't listen at deafening levels you should be fine. But I do not recommend paying attention to any of that. I would recommend you contact both Vinnie Rossi and the folks at Joseph Audio to get their input. They will tell you what you need to know.