I want to get into headphones - need advice

apstoltz

Re: I want to get into headphones - need advice
« Reply #60 on: 25 Oct 2017, 11:17 pm »
Guys just wanted to provide an update. I picked up a pair of Shute 840's based on listening to the 440's. I really like the sound, but not sure about the comfort level due to their weight and bulkiness. Not sure what else is comparable in sound but is smaller and comforting.

apstoltz

« Reply #61 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:31 pm »
I have spent the last few days listening to music at work with the 840's and am very pleased. To step up the level I may opt for a tube amp/dac combo. Any suggestions on an inexpensive setup as I would primarily be using at work.

milford3

« Reply #62 on: 27 Oct 2017, 03:55 pm »
I have spent the last few days listening to music at work with the 840's and am very pleased. To step up the level I may opt for a tube amp/dac combo. Any suggestions on an inexpensive setup as I would primarily be using at work.

Check out Schiit products.  Highly recommended gear.

http://www.schiit.com/home

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #63 on: 28 Oct 2017, 03:49 am »
If you're feeling brave, you can actually remove that heavy chunk of rubbery stuff from the headband...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yashm-yet-another-shure-srh840-headband-mod.697873/

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #64 on: 28 Oct 2017, 06:53 am »
I haven't read the thread, so maybe this has been covered by someone.

Put some music on your phone, 16/44 uncompressed (ripped from CD) and go listen to some 'phones at a bricks-and-mortar store. Then decide.

Start with models you cannot afford, find a baseline you like, then go down to your budget and try to re-create what you liked about the "big" set within your budget. Don't be afraid to try some less than your budget, you might be pleasantly surprised and save a few $$$

wushuliu

« Reply #65 on: 3 Nov 2017, 02:49 am »
I haven't read the thread, so maybe this has been covered by someone.

Put some music on your phone, 16/44 uncompressed (ripped from CD) and go listen to some 'phones at a bricks-and-mortar store. Then decide.

Start with models you cannot afford, find a baseline you like, then go down to your budget and try to re-create what you liked about the "big" set within your budget. Don't be afraid to try some less than your budget, you might be pleasantly surprised and save a few $$$

Case in point: I ordered Sennheiser HD650s from Amazon to see if I wanted to upgrade from my HD599s. Although I appreciate how good it sounds, it was not a clear cut winner. In fact I prefer my 599s, and returned the 650. The 599 is just as resolving to my ears, just more mid-centric and a little warmer. The mids are to die for. Upgradeitis cured.

charmerci

« Reply #66 on: 3 Nov 2017, 10:48 pm »
Upgradeitis cured.

Sure.

You mean - it went into remission!  :lol: [size=78%] [/size]

Greggo1545

« Reply #67 on: 7 Nov 2017, 04:45 pm »
Upgradeitis is a serious disease!  I wish I could be cured!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #68 on: 9 Nov 2017, 11:49 pm »
At CAF my son and I auditioned headphones and I gotta say they were amazing. I could not believe how the over the ear units were so comfortable and the sound was amazing. They are not my bag but my son uses headphones all the time. We auditoned lots of them and liked the Beyerdynamics 1990's and the Audeze LCD2's. I ordered him a pair of the Audeze for Christmas present. I'm going to let him use my iFi DAC/headphone gizmo.

apstoltz

« Reply #69 on: 1 Dec 2017, 02:01 pm »
Guys just wanted to provide an update. I picked up a pair of Shute 840's based on listening to the 440's. I really like the sound, but not sure about the comfort level due to their weight and bulkiness. Not sure what else is comparable in sound but is smaller and comforting.

Quick update on my journey into headphones. So I picked up the Sennheiser 598 CS and the Shure 840. I did not care for the 598 sound compared to the 840, however I felt that it was superior on the comfort side compared to the 840. As my curiosity has the best of me I wanted to try an open back design and pulled the trigger on the Phillips 9500 to experience the hype first hand. I am digging them so far....definitely different than a closed design, the depth and texture of soundstage is probably the biggest difference. For $50 these are a no brainer if one wants to get into headphones. The only weak link that I see so far is the cheap chord that it comes with. That is all for now. I appreciate everyone's advice and help.