The Flat 5 is ready (new pics on page 2)

LittleWoodenBoy

Re: The Flat 5 is ready (new pics on page 2)
« Reply #40 on: 3 Dec 2017, 12:22 am »
Ah!  I meant the sweet spot for volume, not seating.  Since I have to modify things a bit to fit the available space and materials, I'm making the cabinet deeper to maintain the volume and I'm wondering how precise I need to be. 

And another question --  Since I need to make things a little narrower, do you have any suggestions where to find that space?  You said I should protect the area around the center driver. If I make the ports overlap from the baffle to the face frame and extend the box behind, it looks dumb.  Can they move to the ends or maybe the bottom (it's open below) instead of the front?  Can I crowd the outer drivers together at all?  It's not a big problem to tear out two more drawers if that's what I need to do.  But I'm at 32" with the face frame, so most of that space will be wasted and I'll need to figure out how to make it attractive.

Thanks,
Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 3 Dec 2017, 03:12 pm »
Ah!  I meant the sweet spot for volume, not seating.  Since I have to modify things a bit to fit the available space and materials, I'm making the cabinet deeper to maintain the volume and I'm wondering how precise I need to be. 

And another question --  Since I need to make things a little narrower, do you have any suggestions where to find that space?  You said I should protect the area around the center driver. If I make the ports overlap from the baffle to the face frame and extend the box behind, it looks dumb.  Can they move to the ends or maybe the bottom (it's open below) instead of the front?

Yes, you can place the ports on the bottom side.

Can I crowd the outer drivers together at all?

The crossover point to them is fairly low, so yes you can.

It's not a big problem to tear out two more drawers if that's what I need to do.  But I'm at 32" with the face frame, so most of that space will be wasted and I'll need to figure out how to make it attractive.

No problem.

degroot

« Reply #42 on: 9 Dec 2017, 08:43 pm »
I ordered my flat 5 and am building the cabs now out of 1\2 in. MDF. By now I figured out that the 2 holes in the center B dividers go toward the back and the forward chamber for the center driver is supposed to be sealed.  I guess I am going to have to drill holes through that chamber somewhere to run the wires to the driver.  Where do you recommend and I guess that won't affect the seal or performance?

Also, I noticed in your picture that you put NoRez in your cab.  This wasn't mentioned when I ordered the kit (I forgot about it).  I noticed you indicated that it wasn't that effective on the Skinny 6's, however, I used them on my NGK build (as recommended) that I just completed for my son. Should I put NORez in my Flat 5?  I do have some pieces left over from my previous builds which I could use in part.  If I put those pieces in, which chambers would benefit the most?

I haven't cut any of the driver holes yet until I sure about the plans.  One modification that I incorporated into this build was to cut stopped dados (18 total using 1/2 in. dado router bit) in the front and back baffles for the ends of the braces to fit into and also the end pieces as well. I cut all the braces and ends 3\8 ins. longer (3\16" for ea. end into 3\16" dados) and did a dry assembly.  It fit nicely together. I am anticipating that it will make the glue up and assembly a lot easier to keep together and keep square.

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 11 Dec 2017, 05:34 pm »
I ordered my flat 5 and am building the cabs now out of 1\2 in. MDF. By now I figured out that the 2 holes in the center B dividers go toward the back and the forward chamber for the center driver is supposed to be sealed.  I guess I am going to have to drill holes through that chamber somewhere to run the wires to the driver.  Where do you recommend and I guess that won't affect the seal or performance?

Drill two small holes and feed the wires through. If you pick a drill bit to the size of the wire it makes a nice fit.

Also, I noticed in your picture that you put NoRez in your cab.  This wasn't mentioned when I ordered the kit (I forgot about it).  I noticed you indicated that it wasn't that effective on the Skinny 6's, however, I used them on my NGK build (as recommended) that I just completed for my son. Should I put NORez in my Flat 5?  I do have some pieces left over from my previous builds which I could use in part.  If I put those pieces in, which chambers would benefit the most?

These things are braced pretty well and the little woofer just don't excite the cabinet walls too much. No Rez is still effective, but the difference is not as great as with other models.

If I had some to use I'd add it in the outer chambers.

I haven't cut any of the driver holes yet until I sure about the plans.  One modification that I incorporated into this build was to cut stopped dados (18 total using 1/2 in. dado router bit) in the front and back baffles for the ends of the braces to fit into and also the end pieces as well. I cut all the braces and ends 3\8 ins. longer (3\16" for ea. end into 3\16" dados) and did a dry assembly.  It fit nicely together. I am anticipating that it will make the glue up and assembly a lot easier to keep together and keep square.

Sounds interesting. Post some pics as they go together.

degroot

« Reply #44 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:32 am »

Thanks Danny. Here are a few pics. It's still early in the build. So far so good. I will cut all the holes next when I get another chance to work on it. Note, I also dado'd the inside brace C to the 2 B's.

« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2017, 02:16 am by degroot »

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:28 am »
Looking really good!

degroot

« Reply #46 on: 14 Dec 2017, 05:01 pm »
Thanks.  No glue yet.  I really like the way the dry fit just fits together without clamping and squaring up.  I'm thinking I could best proceed by gluing up the everything except the top cover until I get the wiring completed and laid out first so I have good access for that part. Does that make sense?
I usually follow others' builds, but don't have that luxury in this Flat 5 build.  Can anyone help me out with a photo of the wiring crossover.  As previously stated, this is not my strong point.  I am more of a woodworker and would prefer not to take a chance on wiring this according to the schematic w/o validation. Thanks in advance for your help. It's always fun and challenging for me in building these GR speakers and I really enjoy it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 14 Dec 2017, 05:23 pm »
Thanks.  No glue yet.  I really like the way the dry fit just fits together without clamping and squaring up.  I'm thinking I could best proceed by gluing up the everything except the top cover until I get the wiring completed and laid out first so I have good access for that part. Does that make sense?
I usually follow others' builds, but don't have that luxury in this Flat 5 build.  Can anyone help me out with a photo of the wiring crossover.  As previously stated, this is not my strong point.  I am more of a woodworker and would prefer not to take a chance on wiring this according to the schematic w/o validation. Thanks in advance for your help. It's always fun and challenging for me in building these GR speakers and I really enjoy it.

You can do the wiring layout before putting the top on.

I built out two of these but did not take pictures of the crossovers after assembly. These are really simple crossovers so I didn't think it was real necessary.

If you need to just lay out the parts and I'll go over it with you.

Hoots

« Reply #48 on: 24 Dec 2017, 03:36 pm »
The center and skinny sides look interesting.  I'm trying to find speakers as an alternative to an Atmos Soundbar for my family room.  Seems adding an X-CS and new receiver would be easiest (have X-LS) although I don't think the rear port is great in my shelf.

If I keep the entertainment towers I don't have room for floor standing sides w/o putting them out in the room.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 25 Dec 2017, 05:42 am »
The center and skinny sides look interesting.  I'm trying to find speakers as an alternative to an Atmos Soundbar for my family room.  Seems adding an X-CS and new receiver would be easiest (have X-LS) although I don't think the rear port is great in my shelf.

If I keep the entertainment towers I don't have room for floor standing sides w/o putting them out in the room.

You can always plug the ports.  They won’t play as low but you’re crossing them to a sub(s) anyway so no big deal. Then add the X-CS for center and a pair of A/V-1RS for surround speakers and you will have a really nice surround sound system.