CDP-8/9

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: CDP-8/9
« Reply #80 on: 13 Mar 2018, 01:54 am »
Nice to hear your success story.  I can’t figure out why they opted for words instead of icons for the buttons. It would have been much more elegant and simple, and with the usual on / off icon (circle with the I crossing it), you would have had no confusion.

Even more so, it would have been consistent with the other equipment from the brand, which is another plus.

Alas, the one thing that would have made a CD transport interesting for me would have been the addition of SACD.  I was surprised the 8 pro didn’t have this. So this is going to be a pass from me with the CD options from NuPrime.

Best regards,
Rafa.

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
« Reply #81 on: 13 Mar 2018, 04:16 pm »
Yes if the Standby button had a power icon instead, I might have been more likely to hold it down for the required three-Mississippi.  Or if I saw it mentioned in the manual by the correct name, or better yet if a Quick Start had been written by a tech writer who was handed the unit for the first time.

But hey Monday morning quarterbacking aside, again, I say the build quality and sound are fantastic. And I'm not missing SACD support. I do sometimes buy DSD downloads to obtain rare and pristine albums, but I find the high frequency noise painful, so I downconvert and filter before playing.

pawsman

« Reply #82 on: 13 Mar 2018, 08:05 pm »
"I connected the player via coax to the nearest DAC, and have been enjoying Bob Kenmotsu on saxophone while putting the CDT-8 Pro through its paces. Upsampling works great, the controls are very responsive, the build quality of the player and the remote (battery access aside) is impressive, the feet are very well designed, and most important: the sound is fantastic! All is well here in CD Land"

Glad to hear your enjoying your CDT-8; I've had my CDP-9 for almost 6 months, I love it. Virtually all of my CDs sound better; whether it's the constant speed player, the ESS DAC, or the ultra low jitter, I don't know.  Everything is indeed well in CD Land!

pawsman

slash71

« Reply #83 on: 13 Mar 2018, 08:28 pm »

Alas, the one thing that would have made a CD transport interesting for me would have been the addition of SACD.  I was surprised the 8 pro didn’t have this. So this is going to be a pass from me with the CD options from NuPrime.

Best regards,
Rafa.

What player you use now  to play your SACD?

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #84 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:00 pm »
What player you use now  to play your SACD?
A Sony blu-ray player. :(

envydd

« Reply #85 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:41 pm »
IMO The best choice is an oppo 203/205. The next one is the sony x80/x800/x700 bluray player.

slash71

« Reply #86 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:48 pm »
A Sony blu-ray player. :(

If , you dont have lot of discs in this format and  , you don’t are nostalgic guy, try to convert some of your SACD collection media to DSD/DSF files and play it via pc to your dac.

If the result is good you don’t need a new cd transport :)

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #87 on: 14 Mar 2018, 03:59 am »
As far as I understand, that can only be done with a PS3 with no firmware upgrades,which I don't have access to.

Am I missing something?

slash71

« Reply #88 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:25 am »
this work, extract from your dvd bluray via hdmi and resample to usb.

https://www.amazon.it/Magewell-USB-Capture-HDMI-Plus/dp/B01N16ZM2M/ref=sr_1_2/261-4348472-1271160?ie=UTF8&qid=1521012059&sr=8-2&keywords=magewell

you can also simply read the redbook trace on sacd media if they exist..

e/

rustydoglim

« Reply #89 on: 16 Mar 2018, 06:08 pm »
Hey guys this is a NuPrime product circle, not for SACD discussion. You should start a new topic elsewhere.
Thanks.

pawsman

« Reply #90 on: 18 Jun 2018, 11:42 pm »
RE: The Upgraded outboard power supply for the CDP-9 Player: I've tried both the Teradak DC-30 (15V, 1.6A) and the Keces
P3 (15 V, 3A). Both were an upgrade over the stock PS with the CDP-9; better dynamics, cleaner bass and a more organic sound.
I listen to exclusively Classical music, and the Keces had the edge with seemingly almost unlimited dynamics, and more space
around the instruments. Massed strings seem to float on good recordings. I've decided to sell the Teradak; I'm asking $100 shipped
(cost was $120 + 25 S&H), I've had it only a month, it's in excellent condition. Please PM me if interested. BTW, I'm very happy with
the CDP-9; with the Keces LPS it's really an excellent front-end for my system (CDP-9/Keces P3 ; Mivera Iceedge 1200AS Amplifier ;
Tekton Impact Monitors ; 2 Emotiva DSP10 Subs)-

pawsman

pawsman

« Reply #91 on: 25 Jul 2018, 10:33 pm »
An update on my new Linear Power Supply w/Nuprime CDP-9. After many long listening sessions over 2 months, I decided to keep the
Teradak DC-30 over the Keces P3. Though the Keces P3 has higher current drive capability, the Teradak achieves a better balanced sound,
with very natural, organic highs, and beautiful massed string sound on orchestral music. Both have very good dynamics, and deep, well
defined bass, but the Teradak is a bit more musical and true to the Music (I listen exclusively to Classical orchestral music and solo piano).
The CDP-9  with the Teradak DC-30 is the best physical Redbook CD playback I've ever had, and possibly the best I've ever heard, FWIW.
I'm selling the Keces P3; if anyone is interested, please contact me-
pawsman

[System: CDP-9 w/Teradak DC-30 LPS ; Oppo 103 for Blu-ray/DVD ; Mivera ICEedge 1200AS2 Class D amplifier ; Tekton Impact Monitors ; 2 Emotiva DSP10 subs ; Emotiva CMX2 Line filter/DC offset]

envydd

« Reply #92 on: 6 Aug 2018, 04:44 am »
Do you connect the cdp9 directly to the poweramp?

pawsman

« Reply #93 on: 6 Aug 2018, 03:14 pm »
Yes, I use the balanced outputs and connect directly to the amplifier.
If you don't need (or want) the built in ESS9028 DAC/Preamp get
the CDT-8, which is a transport only-

pawsman
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2018, 11:52 am by pawsman »

rustydoglim

« Reply #94 on: 9 Aug 2018, 07:21 pm »
Review of CDP-9 from New Zealand:
https://totallywired.nz/nuprime-2/nuprime-cdp-9/
Even though John is a dealer, his review went into extensive details and always anticipated by customers.

Another good review from headfonics.com:
https://headfonics.com/2018/06/nuprime-cdp-9-review/

envydd

« Reply #95 on: 9 Aug 2018, 11:45 pm »
Thx Jason, its a well written and a balanced review! After reading it, I am tending towards the CDT8 given my HDAVA.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2018, 04:09 pm by envydd »

yarrob

« Reply #96 on: 3 Mar 2020, 02:12 pm »
After living w/ CDP-9 for two years, I would say it provides good value for the price.  Great for a simple front-end to active speakers in desktop sys or amp in a mid-fi sys.  However, when listening to newer transport/dac combos, there are obvious limits to having this much in one box at this price.  For me, the dac implementation's sound can be a bit gray or sterile on some recordings.  Also, the bloom and realism I can get from other dacs is missing.  In the right context though, it is good unit for the price, but not a game changer for under $2000 transport/dac combo.

pawsman

« Reply #97 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:01 pm »
Adding a Linear power supply like the Teradak DC-30 takes it to another level.
A more organic, natural sound with more soundstage depth; bass and dynamics
are improved also.

pawsman