My little traveling system assembled recently, please critique and comment......

EDS_

Hello, save a random post here and there I've been away from this forum for several years - good to be back.

Disclaimer 1, I've had all this in place for only a few days.......I reserve the right to change my mind.
Disclaimer 2, I was hit in the head with the ADD stick as a kid so you'll get brevity only.

Traveling system:
Front Ends2014 MacBookPro (Sierra 10.12.3) 16 gigs RAM, 512 gig SSHD etc. or iPhone 6s

Memory PlayerAudirvana 2.6? and A+ Remote app

Streaming ServiceTidal HiFi (16/44.1 FLAC- at least a few songs like Deep Purple's "Child in Time" beam in at an indicated 24/48 FWIIW)

DAC/Amp/Volume ControlAudioquest Dragonflies 1.0 and Red

Transducerscheapish Grado earbuds, Grado RS-1 'phones and most often AKG-K7XX 'phones

Scatter-shooting part A......Mac set up:
1). Audirvana Direct Mode will not work with Sierra........I say so what! Integer Mode works great.
2). The AQ-Red has plenty of power and gusto for my AKG's which isn't surprising. It is surprising that it drives my Grados just well.
3). Tidal HIFI at $20 per month is a steal.
A). The audio quality is as you'd expect given the stats - excellent.....not much different than the hi-res stuff I have from HD Tracks and others.
B). The interface is all of beautiful, fast, easy to navigate and robust.
C). The breadth and depth of tracks is solid trending towards amazing - although I haven't rooted around much into Tidal's classical offerings.
I'm exceptionally happy with the ultimate SQ given the cost.

Part B......iPhone>Tidal>Camera Adapter>AQ-Red>'buds/'phones
1. I use Tidal on the phone..........it works exquisitely well yet again.
2. The AQ-Red with Apple USB 3 Camera adapter works perfectly, for that matter my older Apple camera adapter works fine too.
3. No Audirvana on the phone.
4. AQ-Red and or Tidal do seem to run down the battery quicker than I would have expected, maybe 15-20% per hour.
I'm even more happy with this set up. No, it does not sound as good as the computer running Audirvana, however, given the size/travel-ability factor it's a grand slam home run winner.

Bonus Round:
I've been running the iPhone>Tidal and AQ-Red into my car stereo and it's sublime.

ETA - Tidal has a number of albums/songs in its Masters category that all appear to be 24/48 FLAC or better......cool beans.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Looks like a nice little rig you've assembled there. Some random suggestions:
1) bring along a small surge protector like the Furman SS-6B (or the AC215); a little protection on the road for your computer never hurts; the extra filtering is just a bonus
2) I personally think the AKG K612pro is a better headphone than the 7## family
3) consider adding a closed headphone or proper sealing iem to the travel bag; you never know when you'll want the isolation to block out unwanted noise

EDS_

Looks like a nice little rig you've assembled there. Some random suggestions:
1) bring along a small surge protector like the Furman SS-6B (or the AC215); a little protection on the road for your computer never hurts; the extra filtering is just a bonus
2) I personally think the AKG K612pro is a better headphone than the 7## family
3) consider adding a closed headphone or proper sealing iem to the travel bag; you never know when you'll want the isolation to block out unwanted noise

Thanks Armaegis,
1). I like the Furman call. I'll look into it.
2). My wife bought the AKG-7XX 'phones as a wife. I've got to use them at least for a while. Frankly, I do like them quite a bit. I want to get everything else settled and then find a set of better 'buds and set of better sealed traveling 'phones.
3). What do you mean sealing them to the travel bag?
3).

Dmason

I am using Tidal with iPad mini3,  iFi Nano iDSD, and KEF M500 phones and I am completely amazed at this combination. I always took a small AC filter with me as AC spikes in much of the developing world upon power returning are the big one. We once measured 400V spikes. Always unplug after AC goes out to avoid.

I'm itching to try some very nice, IEM's, good value, big sound with big bass. Final Audio seem to be favourites. Suggestions?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio

I meant add a headphone or iem to the collection that will (passively) block out noise. The Grado and AKG's you have are all open-backed and will not be enjoyable if you are in a noisy environment.

EDS_

Thanks Armaegis,
1). I like the Furman call. I'll look into it.
2). My wife bought the AKG-7XX 'phones as a wife. I've got to use them at least for a while. Frankly, I do like them quite a bit. I want to get everything else settled and then find a set of better 'buds and set of better sealed traveling 'phones.
3).

Just in case anyone is wondering my wife bought the 'phones for me as a gift not as a new wife!

EDS_

I meant add a headphone or iem to the collection that will (passively) block out noise. The Grado and AKG's you have are all open-backed and will not be enjoyable if you are in a noisy environment.

I have some Sennheiser Momentums and Beyerdynamic DT-1350s as well. I'll try them out on an overnight today and tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice!