Earplugs

Odal3

Earplugs
« on: 2 Oct 2016, 03:39 am »
Looking for some advice for discrete looking earplugs.

I remember someone mentioned etymotic. Does anyone have any experience with those? Any other recommended brands?
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2016, 12:51 am by Odal3 »

brooklyn

Re: Earplugs
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2016, 05:04 am »
Sent you a PM..

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2016, 05:33 am »
Beginning two weeks ago, I started carrying Etymotic ear plugs everywhere I go. I bought the $19.99 plugs and the electronic plugs ($299). I have not used the more expensive plugs yet, but I have high hopes that they will fit my needs while I'm in Asia.

The $19.99 plugs are great. They reduce noise levels just enough that I'm not bothered yet I can still hear everything pretty well. They are a godsend at loud dinner parties.

I wouldn't say they are entirely discrete, but I don't care. My hearing is more important than my vanity.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2016, 05:57 am »
https://www.earplugsonline.com/
The Mighty Plugs are the best and most comfortable plugs I've used. They are made of all natural materials which appeals to me because I'm sensitive to some plastics and neoprene. You can regulate the amount of sound attenuation by pinching the standard plug into smaller pieces.

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2016, 02:12 pm »
I wear earplugs when drumming, riding my motorcycle, and at concerts.  The best off the shelf ear plug I've found (for me) are these:
http://www.silentear.com/product_details.htm

That being said, about 10 years ago I had a pair of custom inserts molded for my Etymotic earphones and for a pair of musician ear plugs (-15dB with flat freq response) and I love them.  They are very comfortable.

http://acscustomusa.com/product-category/music/hearing-protection-music/?ind=52

Odal3

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2016, 11:01 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions. My ears have been sensitive for several years but I got exposed to some loud noise for an extended time a years or so ago (large horn loaded firealarm in a small room) and my ears can't handle loud noise any longer. As a consequence, I'm also struggeling with audio systems that are too bright or have some fatiguing elements to them (but that is easier to fix at least for the home system)

Trying to protect it as much as I can but realized the other day at my kids' sporting event where they had loud PA speakers that I need to always keep earplugs with me from now on. My ears are still ringing...

I will try a few different ones probably starting with the etymotic ones. The silent ears also looks good. Will also read up on the mighty plugs.

Brooklyn - thanks for the offer! Much appreciated.

Mresseguie - curious to hear how you like the electronic ones when you have had a chance to try them out.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2016, 12:52 am by Odal3 »

Odal3

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2016, 11:14 pm »
The vibes also looks interesting
http://www.discovervibes.com

Or the dubs by Doppler labs is another one.
https://www.getdubs.com

Guess it will be to try some of them out to see which one fit my ears the best.

2gumby2

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2016, 02:56 am »
I use etymotic and they are by far the best ear plugs I have ever used.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2016, 04:15 am »
I enjoy my V-Moda Faders. They block out noise without making things too muffled: http://v-moda.com/faders-vip/

Odal3

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2016, 03:15 am »
I got a pair of the etymotic that comes with three replaceable tips.

Tried for 2 days to get the standard and large tips to work with little success. Either I'm doing it completely wrong or they just don't fit my ears. Very uncomfortable. I follow the instructions as best I cam and put them in to the point they are almost hurting, but they barely seal and noise level is about the same as I wouldn't have them in. How far do you need to put them in?

Tonight I put in the tip that looks more like a traditional foam plug but with a channel in the middle. Finally I managed to get a seal, and they work pretty well. Much better than regular one time use plugs. However since I'm planning to use them a lot I was hoping to get away from using a foam style  :duh: Oh well - watever works. Will use it with this setup for a few days and see.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2016, 06:20 am »
You've got the same plugs I'm using. I like the three-prong christmas tree looking attachment for my everyday use. I did try the foam attachment you describe. I'm keeping it handy for serious business like long distance flights, big crowds, and obnoxious amplified sounds.

My wife has tiny ear canals so the smallest works reasonably well for her. Even so, she has elected to use foam plugs. Unfortunately for her, I snore like a banshee.

Good luck. I do understand your situation. Always be ready to protect your hearing. Have you seen a doctor or audiologist about this?

Michael

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2016, 07:48 am »
Tried for 2 days to get the standard and large tips to work with little success. Either I'm doing it completely wrong or they just don't fit my ears. Very uncomfortable. I follow the instructions as best I cam and put them in to the point they are almost hurting, but they barely seal and noise level is about the same as I wouldn't have them in. How far do you need to put them in?

For me, large tips won't go in at all and I get almost zero seal. Etys especially will go deep; if you've never used them before, it goes deep enough to make you really nervous the first time. Make a motion like you're chewing gum and you should feel it wiggling but not moving.

But for many people, deep insertion is just too uncomfortable. It's possible to acclimate, but it all depends on your particular ear's sensitivity.