Looking for ideas for maybe a new digital camera to replace current FZ150

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
What they do to refurb a camera?
It is a reliable camera?:scratch:

Early B.

There are many reasons why refurbs are brand new items. For instance, if the seller is not an authorized dealer, it's a way of getting around the warranty issue. I've purchased several camera refurbs off ebay and never had a problem. I look for "factory refurbished" cameras from authorized dealers. Makes returns much simpler, if needed. Plus, you often get the full manufacturer's warranty. The camera usually comes in a white box with all accessories, otherwise it is indistinguishable from brand new.

drewm

same sensor does not equal same photo quality  :nono:

The sensor itself is only part of the story: cameras have A/D converters and SNR code that make all the difference in final image quality. The primary reason we are seeing improvement in low-light performance from modern digital cameras, for example, is not because the sensors produce less-noisy data. They don't. The difference is in the processors and algorithms that create the image. RAW files are not some kind of data dump from the sensor as is often assumed. RAW is just the data dump from the combination of A/D converters and image processing firmware. The image processing firmware has been getting better through adaptation of techniques used in radio astronomy to filter out noise and fill in missing information (where the noise was in the image).

I do not have a readout on what differences there are in D3300 and D5300 processors. However, for the very slight price difference, the D5300 has a much better autofocus system and a better LCD screen on the rear.

Having said all of that, for very little more than a new D5300 you could get a mint condition D7100 from e-bay for very little more and have a better camera still: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Nikon+D7100+DSLR+Camera+Body+Black+Refurbished+by+Nikon+U+S+A+1513+B&_itemId=331553740465&_trksid=p2047675.m4099

For as much as people knock on ken rockwell, I've found his analysis to be pretty spot on in when he says the entire line of DX cameras within the same release period pointed at the same objects take the exact same photos.  All the newest cameras share the same Expeed 4 image processor, and from analysis I've seen done including color rendition and high iso performance, the same image algorithms. Sure, I've seen other manufacturers purposely degrade their lower end models to sell more higher end models, but I have yet to see Nikon do so.

I really haven't found anything good to come from having more than around 9 focus points, generally your camera focuses slower with them all enabled, so much that I know quite a few professional photographers that only use one focus point. I myself always move to one focus point when I'm using either a large aperture lens or a big zoom to nail the focus dead on when using a shallow depth of field.

The D7100 is a much physically larger camera which is less fun to carry around. What you pay for when you move up the line is a few more features and better harsh environment resistance, not image quality. Also keep in mind that the D7100 has worse high ISO performance than a D3300 if that matters to you. It's built on an older Expeed 3 processor and comparing ISO 6400 photos from both cameras it's pretty obvious.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2016, 06:57 pm by drewm »

drewm

I own 2 Factory Refurbished Nikon DSLRs and many refurb lenses. I consider them to be just as good as brand new. They were most likely buyer's remorse returns that are gone over with a fine tooth comb by Nikon. Manufacturers have to do something with items that get returned in the 30-90 day return window, they can't just go in the trash.

chip

Agree - I will buy refurb items if I can. I don't recall having an issue with any of those items I bought. Sometimes they could be less likely to have an issue than brand new in the box item.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Thanks EarlyB and Drewm :thumb:

chip

is buydig a reliable place? I have not bought from them before but they have a good deal on a refurb d3300.

Also would it be better to buy the kit with just the 18-55mm ($339) or buy it with the 18-55 & 55-200mm ($399).

I am also probably going to buy the 35mm.

chip

Just ordered the d3300  kit with just the 18-55mm ($339) and also bought the 35mm lense.

Can't wait should get it next week.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Congratulations, you can see a review here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3300/12

drewm

is buydig a reliable place? I have not bought from them before but they have a good deal on a refurb d3300.

Also would it be better to buy the kit with just the 18-55mm ($339) or buy it with the 18-55 & 55-200mm ($399).

I am also probably going to buy the 35mm.

Yes, very reliable, that's exactly where I bought my refurb D3300. I'd usually recommend getting the 55-200mm, as even buying it used is about $90, but it depends if you need that longer zoom for anything. I use mine maybe 5% of the time.

chip

Awesome....after a bit more digging I found that out.

I opted to not spend the extra $ on the long zoom and put it towards the 35 prime. Eventually I may want something else but this will be a good starting place I believe from all my reading.

Does anyone know if they come with a battery charger?

I will need to buy a spare battery but not sure if I need to buy the charger as well?

drewm

The stock battery is enough, it's good for about 1000 shots. I don't own a spare battery. Yes, it comes with a charger.

Also there's one really critical setting change to make on it. I have no clue why they don't turn auto-iso on by default because it really should be on. Look up that setting and turn it on. Otherwise you're stuck at iso 100.

Ken Rockwell's camera setup guide is also very good for other settings you may want to do:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3300/users-guide/index.htm

I use most of his settings except I shoot in aperture priority 98% of the time along with JPG Normal, and Large (24MP).

chip

Awesome...thanks for the link.

chip

D3300 arrived yesterday. Put on the prime lense and played around with the camera a little. Different than the Panny so hopefully I can play around with it a bit before my son's bday party on Tuesday and our trip to the Slopes(MT Meadows)  next weekend.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
We look forward to your impressions.

chip

Just ordered the 55-200mm lense that way I won't need to carry my FZ150 with me for longer shots.

Right now I use:
D3300, 18-55mm, 35mm prime.

FZ150 for longer shots.

chip

The 55-200 doesn't seem to be enough reach even for the kids soccer games.

Should I go with a refurb 55-300 or something else in the 300mm range?

drewm

Just as long as you know what a jump from 200mm to 300mm looks like. Objects are only 33% bigger:

I have a Tamron 150-600mm for birding and other long distance use, but at 3.5lbs and nose heavy it's not much fun to hold up in the air for long periods of time. A lot of professionals tend to just crop their images as 24mp is more than enough to crop from.

If you are still interested in getting 300mm:
The refurb Nikon 55-300mm is very good, I own one. It's the best value for 300mm by far: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-dx-nikkor-55-300mm-f%252f4.5-5.6g-ed-vr.html

There's also the brand new Nikon AF-P 70-300mm that just came out a few weeks ago which promises extremely fast focusing for sports. Make sure you get the VR version. I'm waiting on real reviews with samples to evaluate for myself: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-p-dx-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4.5-6.3g-ed-vr.html

Speaking of new lenses, I picked up the newest Nikon AF-P 18-55mm for $90 grey market and sold my older 18-55mm lenses because the new one is way sharper wide open. When the old lens is stopped down to F8 they are similar in performance though: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/normalzoom/af-p_dx_18-55mmf_35-56g_vr/index.htm You can see Rockwell's wide open test images here. It's really sharp: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-af-p.htm
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2016, 10:11 pm by drewm »

chip

I actually think my Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II does a great job. How much better is the AF-P?

I just watched this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX7vOYM9grw

From the above video -

AF-P quieter, quicker focus, focus ring closer

Downside 55mm ring size if you already have 52mm filters for current lense.

Where did you buy the grey market lense?

Also where did you sell your current one?

Might have to upgrade to it downside for me is I have all my 52mm lenses from my panasonic camera that work on the current lenses.

drewm

I actually think my Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II does a great job. How much better is the AF-P?

I just watched this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX7vOYM9grw

From the above video -

AF-P quieter, quicker focus, focus ring closer

Downside 55mm ring size if you already have 52mm filters for current lense.

Where did you buy the grey market lense?

You can get it on ebay or amazon. Search for 18-55mm AF-P. Also make sure it's the VR version. The wide open aperture samples Ken Rockwell has up are crazy sharp when viewed 1:1. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-af-p.htm My current one doesn't perform like that, and that's what sold me. I think of it as a nearly free upgrade, I can sell my current lens for pretty close to the price of that new one.

I'm selling mine on craiglist, but may turn to ebay if they don't go fast enough.

I also picked up a 55mm to 52mm filter ring adapter to use my old filters, as that step down shouldn't matter except maybe wide open aperture zoomed out.

Honestly, it only matters if you're one of us crazy people who are pixel peeping for top detail resolution. If you just want to make good photos for monitor resolution it really doesn't matter. The old lens was already very very good. Some of my favorite images were taken with that lens:

Florence Hill Lookout, New Zealand

Sunrise over Vermilion Lakes Banff Alberta Canada

Moraine Lake Banff Alberta Canada