BDA-3 DAC

alegar

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #940 on: 17 Mar 2018, 04:09 pm »
Hi, I'm waiting to receive the BDA-3 and I'm going to connect an Oppo 95 EU for HDMI, my question is if any partner has the Oppo 95 connected to the BDA-3 because they always refer to the Oppo 105 and I could say if the Oppo 95 behaves like the 105, I will also connect the BCD-1 which connection is the most recommended the AES / EBU or the SPDIF, the output of the balanced BDA-3 will be connected to the BHA-1 as my listeners I do with headphones, sorry for my English I write through the Google translator.
 Greetings to all, Alejandro.

Rimbaud

« Reply #941 on: 17 Mar 2018, 10:11 pm »
Will there be a silver bead-blasted faceplate on offer to match the rest of the newer lineup?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #942 on: 31 Mar 2018, 12:42 pm »
Hi, James. Wanted to let you know my used Bryston purchases have now led to my first new Bryston purchase.

My local dealer (Mike Burns, Wolfsong Audio, can’t say enough good about Mike) was kind enough to bring his BDA-3 to my house today for a “shoot out” against my BDA-2, with associated BP26/28B3/Thiel CS6. Long story short the BDA-3 clearly put more “meat on the bones” of voices ( clearer portrayal of guttural, throaty sounds), guitars (hearing players not just change positions on the guitar neck but hearing their fingers slide down the strings), piano decays extended and image size expanded, etc vs what I was already convinced was an outstandingly musical BDA-2 performance. I placed an order with Mike for a BDA-3, considering also the more modular build approach of the BDA-3 for future upgradabilty.

Bravo to the Bryston Team!  Have a great weekend,

Randy

alegar

« Reply #943 on: 23 Apr 2018, 07:13 pm »
Hi

Email me and I will send you a BIN file and instructions.

jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Hello James / Bryston, I sent you an email on the 16th of this month requesting a firmware update to solve the noise that the BDA-3 makes when it reproduces DSD connected by HDMI, through the web interface and gives error, I wait for your answer, Sorry for my English I am Spanish and I write with the Google translator. A greeting.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #944 on: 23 Apr 2018, 08:26 pm »
Hello James / Bryston, I sent you an email on the 16th of this month requesting a firmware update to solve the noise that the BDA-3 makes when it reproduces DSD connected by HDMI, through the web interface and gives error, I wait for your answer, Sorry for my English I am Spanish and I write with the Google translator. A greeting.

Hi aleger

I am not sure the new software will solve the problem as some DVD players stop sending a bitstream when you stop or pause it and that's what causes the tic sound. 

Please send the email to Mike and see if he can help - mpickett@bryston.com

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #945 on: 23 Apr 2018, 09:54 pm »
Hi, I'm waiting to receive the BDA-3 and I'm going to connect an Oppo 95 EU for HDMI, my question is if any partner has the Oppo 95 connected to the BDA-3 because they always refer to the Oppo 105 and I could say if the Oppo 95 behaves like the 105, I will also connect the BCD-1 which connection is the most recommended the AES / EBU or the SPDIF, the output of the balanced BDA-3 will be connected to the BHA-1 as my listeners I do with headphones, sorry for my English I write through the Google translator.
 Greetings to all, Alejandro.

hi Alejandro

If it was me, i would use the AES output from the BCD1 to the BDA3.

TJ

alegar

« Reply #946 on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:45 pm »
hi Alejandro

If it was me, i would use the AES output from the BCD1 to the BDA3.

TJ

Thank you for your answer, this is how I connect it to BDA-3 by AES, but when I listen exclusively to CD I connect it directly by balanced to Blue Hawaii SE and from this to BDA-1.
Greetings.
Alexander.

alegar

« Reply #947 on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:56 pm »
Hi aleger

I am not sure the new software will solve the problem as some DVD players stop sending a bitstream when you stop or pause it and that's what causes the tic sound. 

james

Thanks James, I mean the Bluray Oppo 95 EU connected by HDMI, send an email to Mike Pickett and comment that soon a firmware update will come out.

A greeting.

Alexander.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #948 on: 7 May 2018, 03:44 pm »
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2018_05_Review_BDA-3.pdf

... the Bryston DAC is not simply good, it is staggeringly good.

stereoal

« Reply #949 on: 14 May 2018, 02:55 am »

james

I had the same problem with ticks and loud pops when a blu ray went from the menu to the movie. Sometimes I would lose the sound if I stopped the movie and then tried to play it.  I tried brand new Samsung and a Sony blu ray players and both did the same thing, though the Samsung did work properly for two days before it started acting up. Does anyone know of a low-priced blu ray (not an OPPO) that works properly when connected to the BDA-3 via HDMI.

Xinon

« Reply #950 on: 30 May 2018, 04:28 am »
What just happened to my BDA3?
Turned it on and after some seconds all lights come on, no sound.

mav52

« Reply #951 on: 30 May 2018, 01:34 pm »

Thank you for your answer, this is how I connect it to BDA-3 by AES, but when I listen exclusively to CD I connect it directly by balanced to Blue Hawaii SE and from this to BDA-1.
Greetings.
Alexander.

Awesome headphone amp.   Its on my list. One Day.

alegar

« Reply #952 on: 30 May 2018, 04:50 pm »
Awesome headphone amp.   Its on my list. One Day.

alegar

« Reply #953 on: 30 May 2018, 04:52 pm »

Xinon

« Reply #954 on: 31 May 2018, 10:37 am »
Oki, so I found out what happened to my BDA3.
A thunderstorm had me pull out all the main plugs from my stereo.
When I plugged everything in again, alle lights(as shown in picture) turned on and it was not responding.
When I came home from work everything was normal again, I thought.
But there was an added bonus.
I tried several times some month ago to upgrade firmware on BDA-3 without any luck.
Well, plugging it in again started the upgrade, and it now runs the newest firmware  :thumb:
Its not easy getting old :lol:

Marius

« Reply #955 on: 31 May 2018, 11:46 am »
HI James,

Having the opportunity to play with the bda3/bdp3 combo, i'm a bit confused, must be doing something wrong in a setting somewhere.:

I have 4 sources connected to the HDMI, and the out to the tv set. easy.
Playing a native sacd for the first time ever, (always played those via the deac inside the player, or played down to cd resolution), got me excited.  I wanted to switch back and forth between several sources. Sounding cool and somewhat more laidback than the presentation I had heard before. (can easily compare switching the bp26 bal1 and bal2)

Unfortunately, each time I switch HDMI inputs on the Dac, the player stops, pops and crackles, and finally coming back to the Sacd at hand, it starts all over from the beginning...

What setting am i missing? (hope there is one, cause this certainly kills the other-half-factor....)

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #956 on: 31 May 2018, 11:51 am »
HI James,

Having the opportunity to play with the bda3/bdp3 combo, i'm a bit confused, must be doing something wrong in a setting somewhere.:

I have 4 sources connected to the HDMI, and the out to the tv set. easy.
Playing a native sacd for the first time ever, (always played those via the deac inside the player, or played down to cd resolution), got me excited.  I wanted to switch back and forth between several sources. Sounding cool and somewhat more laidback than the presentation I had heard before. (can easily compare switching the bp26 bal1 and bal2)

Unfortunately, each time I switch HDMI inputs on the Dac, the player stops, pops and crackles, and finally coming back to the Sacd at hand, it starts all over from the beginning...

What setting am i missing? (hope there is one, cause this certainly kills the other-half-factor....)

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

It sounds like your played is loosing the bitstream when you switch and the BDA-3 has to reset.

I have run across a few players that lose the stream when switching whereas playes that retain a bitstream do not have this issue.

james

Marius

« Reply #957 on: 31 May 2018, 12:00 pm »
Hi Marius

It sounds like your played is loosing the bitstream when you switch and the BDA-3 has to reset.

I have run across a few players that lose the stream when switching whereas playes that retain a bitstream do not have this issue.

james

ok James thanks, thought it might have had to do with the automatic source selection HDMI sources can provide. The player isnt loosing a stream or lock though, it just stops playing, as if commanded to do so by switching to another HDMI source.

If looking for another machine that doesnt do this, what would that functionality be called?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #958 on: 31 May 2018, 02:36 pm »
I know the Denon, Pioneer and some OPPO players are fine.

james

Marius

« Reply #959 on: 31 May 2018, 08:18 pm »
I know the Denon, Pioneer and some OPPO players are fine.

james

Ok cool on my list;-)

Let me ask please : trying the online interface (need to switch hdmi sources my br2 won’t select), I’m stuck with this rather unreadable small interface on iPhone . Switching landscape is somewhat better but still not very  adequate. Should at least be responsive to the device at hand, no pun intended.
Is a better interface , like the Bdp for example in the works? You know, the other half factor is at stake...

More of a tech question: I tried Bryston-bda-3.local but only the ip-address is accepted ?

Thinking of a possible way out, wouldn’t it be very nice if instead of only discovering the bda3 in the Bdp interface, and providing a link, the set of inputs were displayed right away?

Cheers
Marius

« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2018, 09:08 am by Marius »