Tool for binding posts?

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
Tool for binding posts?
« on: 26 Oct 2021, 01:42 am »
What do you use to effectively tighten the binding posts on your Khartago amps?

Bob Stark

Re: Tool for binding posts?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2021, 02:35 am »
Hey Mike,

I'm not too sure what kind of nuts are on those amp's posts.  If they are the standard size hex nut, the plastic tool that comes with a toilet seat works wonderfully.  I use one on my VMPS RM40 speaker's binding posts.  It gives your a good grip, and doesn't bugger up the metal on the posts.  You can torque it very tight if needed.  If that doesn't fit because of the shape of the nut on the post, I tried to help--and have a nice day.

Bob

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2021, 08:47 am »
Banana plugs with a rubber band around both to keep them secure.  If you insist on spades, a pair of pliers, gently used.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2021, 02:47 pm »
If it's the WBT finger grip type, I use a strip of rubber or that foam used for shelf liner.

Most of my binding posts have flats for wrench or socket. I use a small socket wrench with a 11mm socket. Best not too use full size wrench, easy to apply too much torque and break the nut.

-Dieter

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2021, 03:12 pm »
For round posts like on the Khartago I use a wide rubber band or piece of bicycle inner tube to give my fingers a good grip. I keep them in my accessories kit box. I find they have other uses like pulling off a stubborn RCA connector.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2021, 01:23 am by Don_S »

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2021, 04:13 pm »
Use locking banana plugs. No chance of over tightening and breaking the jacks off completely.  That will be sure to change the sound.

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2021, 12:17 am »
I also don't know what type of binding posts those amps have but if they're the standard ones, this:

https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/audio-enhancements/binding-post-wrench