Daedalus Audio Ulysses Ver2

figcon

« on: 22 Sep 2014, 08:21 pm »
Still with great reluctance, I still offer a beautiful pair of Daedalus Ulysses Ver2 speakers. These speakers are in beautiful Maple and were updated to Version 2 status by Lou in December of 2013. I have not installed the new trim rings Lou has made available.

Pictured with the subs, this price does not include the subs, although a package could possible be made available including all four speakers.

They come with the standard base and Daedalus outriggers. I had a pair of bases made that are 8.5" high, as opposed to the standard 4.5" and these can be included. I like the look better with Lou's bases and if you angle them up just a little, sound quality is the same. Still, they can both be included.

Pictures show them with the BOW subs Lou made for me several years ago.  Instead of the single 12" driver lou now uses now, these use two 12" drivers per cabinet.  I am using these, as they are fast and blend well with the horn speakers I made. However, as previously mentioned, they could be made available for the right buyer.

I am not interested in trades.

Additional pictures are available for serious buyers.

I am open for reasonable offers, but no low balling, please. Price does not include subs. I have the original packing for the Ulysses. I am located in Asheville, NC and they can be demonstrated here.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2015, 03:19 pm by figcon »

jonbee

Re: Daedalus Audio Ulysses Ver2
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2014, 10:08 pm »
Wow. What eye and ear candy. Someone is in for a serious treat, at a great price. If I had a bigger room (visually they are larger than the wife would go for), they would be on their way to Seattle right now.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2014, 03:04 am by jonbee »

audiogoober

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:12 am »
Wow. What eye and ear candy. Someone is in for a serious treat, at a great price.

+1.

Gorgeous speakers.....you don't see many maple U's.

Those one off BOWS are massive! What is driving those four 12" hounds? Is that a Plinius SA amp I see?

Here's a friendly note of what happened to me the last time I sold my Ulysses....

A few years ago I owned my first pair of maple Ulysses AP's and absolutely loved them. I was somehow talked into what was thought to be a superior speaker by a dealer and ended up selling the Ulysses quickly. Too quickly in hindsight.  As soon as they were gone and the "new Italian" speakers arrived.....I knew I had made a terrible mistake ; (

I know, I should have A/B'd them side by side first in my home.....lived and learned that one.

It took months (almost a year) for me to finally sell the other speakers.  Once they were sold, I ordered a replacement pair of Ulysses in walnut and haven't looked back. We've since added a pair of Athenas to our second/living room system.

I'm sure you've thought about this significant speaker change - long and hard....and I truly hope you find sonic "bliss" with your system. I wasn't going to mention this but I'd hate to see anyone go through what I did. The "with great reluctance" in the beginning of your post struck a nerve with me. I seem to recall feeling VERY reluctant before I jumped back then!

Killer room/setup.

Best of luck,

Greg

figcon

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:44 am »
You are correct. The subs are powered by Plinius SA-102 that has been re-capped with the same value and brand caps, but higher heat tolerance, as well as new relays, while we were in there. The Plinius was my summertime amp, but replaced a pair of Emotive monoblock's that were rated to be about 5 times more powerful, yet there was no comparison in sound quality. The Plinius plays louder, more powerfully and with much better tone. Subwoofer amplifiers matter. Everything matters....

I remember your situation and totally get what you are saying. I appreciate the advice. I don't know of another commercial speaker I would rather have than this speaker.

figcon

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2015, 12:09 am »
I have made no effort to move these since the original post, so thought I would get active and try AudioCircle one more time. There are a couple of changes, primary of which is my willingness to sell the Ulysses with the subs, although I don't really want to do this.

I am in Asheville, NC for people serious about purchasing.

figcon

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2015, 05:09 pm »
Still with great reluctance, I still offer a beautiful pair of Daedalus Ulysses Ver2 speakers. These speakers are in beautiful Maple and were updated to Version 2 status by Lou in December of 2013. I have not installed the new trim rings Lou has made available.

Pictured with the subs, this price does not include the subs, although a package could possible be made available including all four speakers.

They come with the standard base and Daedalus outriggers. I had a pair of bases made that are 8.5" high, as opposed to the standard 4.5" and these can be included. I like the look better with Lou's bases and if you angle them up just a little, sound quality is the same. Still, they can both be included.

Pictures show them with the BOW subs Lou made for me several years ago.  Instead of the single 12" driver lou now uses now, these use two 12" drivers per cabinet.  I am using these, as they are fast and blend well with the horn speakers I made. However, as previously mentioned, they could be made available for the right buyer.

I am not interested in trades.

Additional pictures are available for serious buyers.

I am asking $10,000 but open for reasonable offers. No low balling, please and price does not include subs or shipping costs.. I have the original packing for the Ulysses. I am located in Asheville, NC and they can be demonstrated here.

Thanks.

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2015, 03:57 pm »
God, you're killing me with those! They are true works of art in every way.
I was up last night with a tape measure trying to make the sale to the wife. 10" taller than my DA-RMA v2, fine by me, but no sale, I'm afraid.
Guys, if you have the scratch, these very well could end your journey, and save you $ in the long run while bringing handmade audio sculptures into your listening room. IMO Daedalus speakers will be among the classics that people will seek out 30 years from now. In the modern mass-produced world, hand artistry and solid hardwood construction that succeed at this level sonically and visually will be increasingly rare and expensive, and these will be seen as a real bargain.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2015, 05:28 pm by jonbee »