Super Tweeters?

jaylevine

Super Tweeters?
« on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:08 pm »
I'm not trying to stir up trouble, just really curious about an add I just saw on audiogon for a modified Magnepan 1.7 (full disclosure--I don't own Maggie's any more, although I would love to if I had room for a pair of 3.7i).

Part of the add read:

"I have for sale a pair of Magnepan 1.7 with silver trim. This pair of speaker was modified by Stereo Unlimited in Northern California, the mod including a Super tweeters, AND replacement of the crappy wire in all Magnepans with their proprietary Maggie wire. This mod is approved by Magnepan according to Stereo Unlimited, this mod make it sound very close to the 3.7 sounds and the mod cost $1,500.00."

does Magnepan really approve of such modifications?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Super Tweeters?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2014, 01:06 am »
I'm told that the people at Stereo Unlimited are wonderful people and they did their own mods and are no longer Magnepan dealers so I think you'd need to contact them to see who would cover any possible warranty issues.

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:38 am »
I never understood that modification or why Magnepan "approved" it.
Those linaeum tweeters could be sourced for just a few bucks, yet sitting them on top of the speakers is a $1500.00 mod?  That's an easy profit for a dealership.

The concept of proprietary Maggie wire is just silly.  There's nothing wrong with the wire Magnepan uses.  The internal connection scheme could be improved though.

That set of 1.7's isn't worth any more than any other set of 1.7's without the audiophile nonsense.....in my opinion.

Cheers,

Dave.

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2014, 05:40 am »
There's nothing wrong with the wire Magnepan uses.  The internal connection scheme could be improved though.

Agree. All these push-on and screwed connectors can give contact distorsion. Soldered connections or gold-to-gold is what I prefer. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2014, 12:19 am »
The RadioShack standalone Lineaum tweeters have some problems.
Compared to the same tweeters sourced directly from Lineaum the Radio Shack tweeters had a far higher mass due to the fact that the mylar film used is 50% thicker. The RadioShack tweeter also has a vertical emission length of 1.5in. compared to factory version's 1in. length, this contributes a greater degree of vertical beaming then seen with factory built tweeter.
Lineaum factory tweeter image.

RadioShack Tweeter shown on the LX 550, Radio Shack 40-5037

The significantly higher mass is the biggest problem, the tweeter has poor resolution and reduced high frequency extension compared with Magnepan's claimed high frquency limit of 24kHz for the 1.7.
Some people may perceive the added on Lineaum tweeter as an improvement but this may be due a kinder and gentler top end.
If they have a stash of old Lineaum factory tweeters, then this might be a different kettle of fish. But I would rather put $1,500 into aftermarket stands like the ones that jarcher has on his 1.7s.
His system sings and sounds like it has no limit to high frequency extension or resolution. 
Considering that he bought them gently used, with the stands included, he got a steal of a deal.
Scotty
Edited for accuracy
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2014, 04:49 am by *Scotty* »