Fet Valve warm up

avahifi

Re: Fet Valve warm up
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2014, 09:20 pm »
Note that David Janszen does not recommend using Class D amplifiers with his electrostatic loudspeakers.  The interaction of the Class D amp output filters with the rather difficult load of the JansZen speakers causes Class D amps difficulties, sometimes extreme.

Frank

gadfly

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2014, 04:11 am »
bummrush-

"Gadfly. Hello.ive had class d also. Im just curious what you like about the Franks  components over the class d?"

Hello bummrush,

Synergy.  I got interested in Salk HT3s when they were the new hot.  Jim Salk often demoed them featuring Frank"s
most powerfull hybrid tube amp.  I had purchased a W4S STI-1000 prior to an impulse buy of HT3s.  The HT3s were
fresh from an audio show offered on the "available now" Salk website.  Hence the W4S/Salk combo.  There was an
initial seduction from the sense of detail and spacially well defined instruments.  Also a whole lotta slam.  But
something almost spiritual was missing.  Over time fatigue set in.  A funk I endured too long due to the difficulty
of admitting I blew a lot of $.

It's tough chasing transcendent aural emotional involvment on a limited budget :duh:

The Salk/CF Pre 600R get me way closer than D power ever did.  Close enough that I listen with a smile and don't
yearn to hear what is not there.  Always pleasant.  Sometimes mind blowing.  Intimacy vs. a hand-shake.

gad-
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2014, 02:38 pm by gadfly »

bummrush

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2014, 02:59 pm »
I had a bc int and also red dragons.I too e as seduced.At first the lbass was nice, but after extended  listen it wang s just way to much. Its hard for me to put into words just what it was about class d.But yeah s listening fatigue was  big part also

daj

• Industry Participant
  • Old enough to know better
    • JansZen Electrostatic Loudspeakers
« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:01 am »
One of my friends pointed me to this thread. I must say that our speakers' specs are posted on our web site, and their impedances are benign, more so than a lot of cone speakers or other electrostatics -- 6 or 8 Ohms nominal, 4 Ohms minimum, and the mild capacitance of the electrostatic is well decoupled. I don't remember saying or writing anything against switching amps. Good switching amps are getting more common. The first embodiment of the JansZen One had three switchers built in, although due to lack of audiophile acceptance, they were designed out of the production version. I'm now working on a version of the zA2.1 with built in dual switching amps, using DSP for EQ and crossover, and directly connected to the drivers of course with very short leads. It can be driven straight from a DAC or disc player though balanced cables, nice and simple, or by a preamp in a more elaborate system. Field tests begin next week. Maybe its time has come . . .

Note that David Janszen does not recommend using Class D amplifiers with his electrostatic loudspeakers.  The interaction of the Class D amp output filters with the rather difficult load of the JansZen speakers causes Class D amps difficulties, sometimes extreme.

Frank