Type 1 Review

ZLS

Type 1 Review
« on: 8 Mar 2011, 07:41 pm »
      Let me say this straight out;

The Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 Loudspeaker is a direct challenge to the common-held Audiophile belief that if something costs more money it has to be better then something less expensive. 
     The Type 1 puts lie to that belief in the most emphatic way possible. 
    Of course, why bother reading Audio Circle at all if all you believe is more money=more better! 
     From the price of $795, to the outstanding beauty of the fit and finish, and through to the fun and engaging sound of the Type 1; the value of these Loudspeakers is extraordinary.  The value is so great, as to pass over into the category I call “Stupid Good” Or perhaps, phrasing it a little more gently, someone would be foolish as to not at least listen to what these Loudspeakers are capable of. 

Here are the artists and songs that I am using to form my opinion of the Type 1.

1.   Cannonball Adderley: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (Live)
2.   Bonnie Raitt: Love Me Like A Man (Live)
3.   Johnny Hodges: Don’t Get Around Much Any More
4.   Candy Kane: Fit, Fat, and Fine
5.   Alberta Hunter: My Handy Man Ain’t Handy Any More

Each of these songs represent a combination of Rhythm, Beauty of Tone, and Most of All Humor that has me patting my foot and laughing at the same time. 
    The Type 1 is excellent at conveying the artists intent, and isn’t that what this hobby/obsession is all about. 

The Type 1’s being 97 DB efficient are about as easy to drive as can possibly be.  They also can run ported or sealed, adding to the flexibility that the Speaker offers

Is the Type 1 the be all and end all of all speakers? 
No, of course not.  I, myself have ordered a special edition Type 1 ($1500) which will have upgraded hardware, special wood veneer, and hand chosen internal wiring. 

Louis O

Re: Type 1 Review
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm »
Hi ZLS,

Many thanks and so happy you like them. They are special and at the price you get a lot for your money. Need to get the website going. This will be getting done. I have to post the pictures of the sub too.

I will have the custom shop and making your special order made me want to open something like this up.

I will say that I will revive my 1.5 way concept that I had done in 2003.

Nice selection of music and I would be tapping my toe too.

Got the Rega Maia running the Type 1 loud, NICE.

Thanks again,
Louis