"Cheap" replacement power supply for Squeezebox2

jonwb

« on: 3 Sep 2005, 12:20 am »
In the Squeezebox mod thread there was mention of some cheap industrial 5VDC power supplies that would be an improvement from the stock wall-wart.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20977.msg185694#185694&highlight=regulated#185694

I did some digging on the net and I've not had any luck finding one.  Can one of you guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jon

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2005, 04:03 am »
It was on cascade surplus.  

5vdc supply

The supply is open frame, not in a box, so you should box it appropriately so that curious fingers don't get zapped.

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2005, 02:51 pm »
A person could build a decent 5V linear supply without too much trouble...and very cheap.

If you want to buy something how 'bout this?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=320-216

That, plus an el-cheapo AC wallwart and you should be all set.

Cheers,

Davey.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2005, 03:35 pm »
You would still need a case to put the parts express one in. The Regulator will need a heatsink .

The one I build has a regulator rated at 1.5 A and I use a fairly heavy duty heatsjnk. The case does get rather warm.

You should also condier what power cable to use. If all you are looking for is a slight increase in performance from the SB2, any cable will do. If you want the best you can get, you will need to try out various geometries and materials to see what suits your system best.

You will also need to think about what type, gauge and geometry you will use to bring the 5VDC to the SB2. You will have to get a good 2.5mm power connector.

Good luck with construction and always remember, you get what you pay for  :D

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2005, 03:53 pm »
The thing is, Davey, the Cascade one is $3.50.  I figure it serves as a nice template for someone who doesn't want to build from scratch. They could always swap parts afterwards.

Davey

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2005, 04:16 pm »
Yeah, I here ya Josh.  However, it's not clear (to me) by looking at the data sheet what type of regulation is used on that supply.  I suspect it's just a zener-regulator with pass transistor.  A LM317-based unit would yield lower noise and output impedance.  And the Power-One unit is rather bulky and ugly.  :)

Anyway, there would seem to be plenty of options for a relatively low-cost linear supply to use with the SB2.

"Good luck with construction and always rember, you get what you pay for."
No, you don't.....not in the audiophile world.  :)

Cheers,

Davey.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2005, 05:14 pm »
I have one of the cascade units and so I'll have a look and see if I can't see what regulator they use.  It is ugly, but I was going to put in a small box as it isn't very big.

jonwb

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2005, 07:33 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I have one of the cascade units and so I'll have a look and see if I can't see what regulator they use.  It is ugly, but I was going to put in a small box as it isn't very big.

Thanks for the link on the Cascade unit Josh.  Could you tell me what the dimensions are for that unit?  Also, pics would be great since the one they have on their site doesn't show much (what sort of connectors would one use?).  BTW, have you tried this unit w/ a SB2?  Did it offer an audible improvment over the stock wall-wart?

Quote from: Wayne1
Good luck with construction and always remember, you get what you pay for :D

I generally agree Wayne and I'd love to get one of your power supplies.  However, I had to do enough tooth pulling just to get the SB2, so another $175 for a power supply right now might spell the end of me  :duel:

Occam

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2005, 11:50 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
Good luck with construction and always remember, you get what you pay for :D  

No Wayne, sometimes you get far more than you're paying for. That's the whole point behind DIY.... the free sharing of experince and expertise.
FWIW

Occam

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2005, 02:08 pm »
Goto
http://www.hosfelt.com/
click on 'adapters' in the left scroll area
click on
'3-5VDC
Adapters' in upper left
4th one down -

5 VDC @ 1.5 AMP Regulated   $US 6.95      

Mfg. # - 7202C-3
5-13/16" x 2-1/2" x 2-7/8"
Input: 117 VAC, 60 Hz
Output: 5 VDC @ 1.5 amp. The enclosure and
cords are black. Regulated and filtered.

#56-534

Its a substantial table wart, dunno if the attached plug will fit or if wired correctly for the SB2.
I lent Josh mine, as I don't even have a SB.

FWIW

jonwb

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2005, 07:34 pm »
where do you guys find these places??  Thanks OCCAM...

I took a look at their site and also came across another unit which costs a little more ($20), but takes a grounded IEC plug at the input and is "Fully regulated and filtered" (and 3amps for what that's worth in this application).

its the second one down on this page:
http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/dept_16.html

Sounds like it has a 4 wire din connector at the output.  I'm thinking that'd be easy enough to rewire/replace.

Also, on the same page you originally referenced:
http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/dept_9.html
The first unit on the list is 2.4amps and "Regulated, Filtered and Grounded", but it still of the wall-wart configuration in that the block itself plugs into the wall.  This is only $10, does the fact that its output is a little higher and that its grounded offer any advantages to the unit you originally mentioned?

Occam

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2005, 08:50 pm »
I took a look at their site and also came across another unit which costs a little more ($20), but takes a grounded IEC plug at the input and is "Fully regulated and filtered" (and 3amps for what that's worth in this application).
Its a switcher. This is not to say that a switcher is inherently worse than a linear, its just that this one probably is. Switchers are inherently regulated and filtered.

its the second one down on this page:
Its too small. You need a minimum of 1 amp.

Also, on the same page you originally referenced:
http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/dept_9.html
The first unit on the list is 2.4amps and "Regulated, Filtered and Grounded", but it still of the wall-wart configuration in that the block itself plugs into the wall. This is only $10, does the fact that its output is a little higher and that its grounded offer any advantages to the unit you originally mentioned?
Its probably a switcher, as its too puny for its 2.4A rating to be a linear. The reason is doesn't say its a switcher is that as its a wall wart, and its captive plug is for 120VAC so it ain't gonna run on 220-240 anyway. But maybe not, dunno. I've never liked wall warts, as they're a royal pain to plug into a strip, and I know they're laughing at me behind my back.......

Why don't you buy one of each and try them?

jonwb

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2005, 09:13 pm »
Quote from: Occam
Why don't you buy one of each and try them?

kinda set myself up for that one huh?   :)

Occam

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2005, 09:40 pm »
Well Jon - I guess you might have noticed I can be a bit 'prickly', and some might consider 'right wanker' as a charitable description. But the whole point behind the Lab forum is to learn, and hopefully, your questions and my responses were informative. And indeed, it might well be that the last 2.4A wall wart is actually an ideal, linear regulating solution. Dunno.
Given my way over the top reaction to some pretty innocuous comments yesterday, I was sufficiently contrite to delete my comment about no good deed going unpunished. I should conseder self medicating again.

jonwb

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2005, 02:24 am »
I should conseder self medicating again.

Well, hey that's probably better than self-dentistry :lol:

Regarding my earlier post, I think you were looking at the wrong power supply.  The one I was referring you to was the second one down on this page:

Its a 3amp'er and 5-3/8" x 3-5/16" x 2-1/2" in size... is it likely to be a linear supply?

$20 is still pretty reasonable if it looks promising.

Occam

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2005, 03:23 am »
Quote from: jonwb
.... I think you were looking at the wrong power supply.  The one I was referring you to was the second one down on this page:

Its a 3amp'er and 5-3/8" x 3-5/16" x 2-1/2" in size... is it likely to be a linear supply?
$20 is still pretty reasonable if it looks promising.
Jon,

While I too, was impressed by how well hung that adapter is, the critical point in
5-3/8" x 3-5/16" x 2-1/2"
Input: 100-250 VAC, 47-63 Hz,

is the 100-250VAC.
if it were 120/240 it would indicate that it has a transformer whose  primary can be switched from parallel to series, indicating, typically a linear supply. But the fact that it can cope with any AC voltage from 100-250V, clearly indicates its a switcher having no input transformer. Honest.

See, snarky, yet edumicational  8)
But to hedge your bets, I would encourage you to buy them all

EDIT- the fact that the exact same adapter is found under the listing for switchers (5th one down), confirms what I said above -
http://www.hosfelt.com/index.html?target=dept_223.html&lang=en-us
Regardless, when you first mentioned this adapter, I should have explained WHY I reasoned it was a switcher, rather that toss off 'its a switcher'. A major purpose of this forum is to share information, not facts, and your follow up questions were a direct result of my failure to do that.
Sorry 'bout that.

jonwb

« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2005, 02:55 pm »

if it were 120/240 it would indicate that it has a transformer whose  primary can be switched from parallel to series, indicating, typically a linear supply. But the fact that it can cope with any AC voltage from 100-250V, clearly indicates its a switcher having no input transformer. Honest.

See, snarky, yet edumicational  8)

Ah, I get it!  I didn't understand that when they give a big input voltage range like that, its a clue that its a switcher.   :idea:

Well, I've bugged you enough about this.  I just placed my order for the unit you initally mentioned.  I'll let you know how it works... thanks for the help.

jonwb

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2005, 02:42 pm »
Still waiting for my new power supply to arrive....

I did some more digging on the Slim Devices forums and ran across this thread (its long) regarding the merits of upgrading the switching power supply that comes w/ the SB2.  In particular the last post on page 1, the gentleman acutally has screen dumps of the voltage waveform at various points inside and outside (the factory supply) the unit.

rme

jonwb - how did things work out?
« Reply #18 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:31 pm »
How did things work out with the supply you ordered?  Was it the Hosfelt7202c-3?  Correct connector for the SB@?

jonwb

Re: jonwb - how did things work out?
« Reply #19 on: 20 Sep 2005, 10:33 pm »
Quote from: rme
How did things work out with the supply you ordered?  Was it the Hosfelt7202c-3?  Correct connector for the SB@?

Sorry I haven't updated this lately.  I've been busy w/ my amps.  I did order the supply that Occam recommended.  It was Hosfelt P/N: 56-534 (same one you referenced).  It took about a week to arrive.  Shipped price was $14.38.  It is a fairly hefty unit.  I'll take some photos and post them later.  The connector is not the same as what the SB2 uses.  I'm going to steal a correct sized connector off an old wallwart that I had laying around.  I'll also do some side-by-side comparisons w/ the stock power supply and see if I can hear a difference.