New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!

modwright

Re: New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2016, 03:47 pm »
Understood. Thanks.

Dan

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2016, 11:53 am »
No DVD-A or Bluray Audio, unfortunately

Couldn't both of these be input to the unit from the USB input from a computer?
You would have a computer connected to input DSD anyway.

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2016, 01:11 pm »
Couldn't both of these be input to the unit from the USB input from a computer?
You would have a computer connected to input DSD anyway.

For one thing the player has no video it can output

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2016, 04:07 pm »
Tube circuit going into the SA8005 today.....Photos to follow as well as listening impressions!

Dan

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2016, 07:00 pm »
For one thing the player has no video it can output

Sorry, I was thinking the computer could be used to output video?
Then the player could be used to playback the bluray or dvd-a signal via the USB input.

modwright

« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2016, 07:51 pm »
Not sure about that, but possibly.  Certainly the audio can be fed to the player via USB, assuming it is PCM or DSD format.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 3 Oct 2016, 08:02 pm »
Progress is being made into a new mod for the Marantz SA8005 CD/SACD player, transport and DAC.

I have at this point wired in a tube circuit to evaluate and have optimized the grounds and analog filtering.  The sound is exceptional!

I am listening right now with a 5687 based tube circuit fed via PS 9.0.  I am going to pursue another option involving Lundahl transformer coupling next!

Please contact us if you have a Marantz SA8005 or are interested in a modified Audio only 2CH player/DAC.

Stay tuned for more!

RichardS

« Reply #27 on: 3 Oct 2016, 10:11 pm »
Just wanted to give a shout out to the quality of Dan's work for anyone on the fence. I have a Sony HAP-1Z music server with Dan's tube mod and it puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it. It provided the missing body, heft and weight, along a with superb lifelike presence to voices that I was looking for.

I had a Devialet for a while and even when using the Modwright Sony into its analog inputs (which of necessity converted the signal to digital and back to analog for a second time by the Devialet) -- even then I found it significantly more satisfying than the direct digital input to the Devialet from another music server. Amazing.
And his service has been second to none... highly recommended.

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 3 Oct 2016, 11:56 pm »
Listening session at ModWright with Mod Tech Extraordinaire John Garrett, comparing a Sony XA-5400ES with PS 9.0 to the Marantz with my first 5687 based tube circuit, also with PS 9.0 power supply.

Preamp is the new SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition ($2900) and amplification is a pair of KWA 150SE's run in mono (breaking in upgrades for a customer).

While both sound very good, we both agreed from the initial notes, that the Marantz tube mod is MUCH more resolving, detailed, dynamic and with a much bigger soundstage than the XA-5400ES tube mod.

Now keep in mind, the Sony tube mod uses 6SN7's and the Marantz uses 5687's.  In fact, the Marantz borrows a lot from what I learned from the new SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp. This circuit, is simply more open, resolving and natural sounding.  We both discussed whether the sound was bright and concluded that not it wasn't.  It IS possible to have very resolving sound without edge or glare.  It also common for people to hear a bright and edgy sound and take it for detail.  There IS a big difference.

Very excited about the direction this is going!

Next up is to compare a new tube circuit and a couple of different power supply options.

It won't be long before I have the analog stage nailed down!

Dan

Wig

« Reply #29 on: 4 Oct 2016, 03:55 am »
Dan,

When you nail down circuitry for the Marantz, I'm curious how the 5400 sound with the Elyse in comparison to the finished Marantz?

Thanks,
Wig

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2016, 03:16 pm »
I will do so.  I can tell you right now that the sound of the tube modified Marantz is much closer to the Elyse than any of our prior tube mods.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 5 Oct 2016, 12:57 am »
OK, so I have just completed listening tests with the following:

Marantz SA8005 with proto tube circuit mods only.
SPDIF out from Marantz SA8005 to Elyse DAC.

Very closely level matched, both feeding SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition into a pair of KWA 150SE's in mono.

Surprisingly, they are VERY close!  While the Marantz SA8005 with tube mods was clearly better than the Sony XA-5400ES with tube mods, the difference with the Elyse was A LOT closer.  I would probably have to give it to the Elyse by a very small margin, in terms of absolute detail and delineation of each note.  It is still just a BIT better in terms of the last bit of resolution and detail. Comparatively, the tube modified Marantz is just a slight bit warmer.

Keep in mind that we are comparing a $1200 stock Marantz player with tube mods, to a $7K DAC! Assuming the Marantz tube mods come in, price-wise, the same range as our Oppo and Sony mods, that means the Modified Marantz is still less than 1/2 the cost of the Elyse DAC!  AND it does DSD, which the Elyse does not.

I used a PS 9.0 (not PS 9.9) with the Marantz and stock Sovtek 5AR4.  The Elyse DAC has NOS 6922's and 5R4GYS rectifier.  I will dig out a 5R4GYS for the Marantz supply and listen again, to see how much this changes things.

I will also listen with the PS 9.9.  I expect that this will add a bit of warmth, which may or may not sound better with the Marantz.  Or, it may be a matter of taste.

Good stuff here!

I expect to have the work complete in the next couple of weeks and am planning a promotion for this mod, that will give the first ten mod customers VERY good deals.

More on that later.

Thanks,

Dan

rodge827

« Reply #32 on: 5 Oct 2016, 01:23 am »

I expect to have the work complete in the next couple of weeks and am planning a promotion for this mod, that will give the first ten mod customers VERY good deals.

Dan, Do you supply the SA8005 or is it sent to you for the mods?

Chris

modwright

« Reply #33 on: 5 Oct 2016, 01:34 am »
We will not be supplying the player.  The customer must supply the player, we perform the work and return it within two weeks of receipt of unit and scheduled start date.

Promo slot #1 is already filled.  The customer who suggested the player to me to mod has locked up this position.

Promo slots #2 - #10 are still available.

I will give more info soon as to why it is advantageous to get one of these first ten slots.

Thanks,

Dan

Wig

« Reply #34 on: 5 Oct 2016, 03:33 am »
I'm definitely going to monitor this on a regular basis. I love my MW Sony 5400 and if I can improve my CD play back with this modded Marantz, this may be my entry into the Elyse Dac sound quality at a very modest price and have a superior transport ...

You're on to something here Dan and am looking forward on the progression of this project! I have both 9.0 and 9.9 power supplies.

Is there a big difference in sound quality between 5687 and 6SN7?

Wig

dminches

« Reply #35 on: 5 Oct 2016, 01:01 pm »
Dan, sounds like you are having fun with the SA8005.

Will you get a chance to compare it to your modded BDP-105?  That would be a nice comparison given the closeness in price of the 2.

modwright

« Reply #36 on: 5 Oct 2016, 03:30 pm »
OK, first of all, I did compare it to the Elyse DAC and it is SO close. The Elyse is only a slight bit better in terms of overall resolution and detail.

I have compared the Marantz SA8005 with mods to the Sony XA-5400ES with mods and my entire staff agrees that there is no comparison.  The Marantz is so much more open and resolving.  Everything just sounds more live and natural.

Now, as this relates to the Oppo 105, the Sony 5400ES and Oppo 105/105D use essentially the same mod board and same tube (6SN7). We ship the Oppo 105/105D with tube regulated and tube rectified PS 9.9, while we ship the Sony with PS 9.0.  I have always felt that the Sony and Oppo were very close, giving the edge slightly to the Sony in terms of overall detail and resolution.  When asked, I would tell people that if they wanted more detail, and listened to Classical over Jazz, then I would pick the Sony.  If customers told me that they listened to more vocals and Jazz, I would recommend the Oppo.  It is slight, but the Oppo is just a bit warmer in its overall presentation than the Sony. However, the Sony did not offer a digital input or, USB for DSD playback.  The Oppo 105 does and so does the The Marantz!

Having said all of that, the Marantz is simply in a different league!  It is all about resolution, clarity and getting closer to the music.  It is NOT bright or edgy in the slightest. Soundstage is huge, both wide AND tall.  I can't describe it any other way.  When comparing the Marantz to the Sony (and by extrapolation, the Oppo), the soundstage is simply MUCH bigger.  Kristin commented that she could pinpoint instruments and singers on the stage clearly, while with the Sony it was more diffuse.

The tube stage does use a different tube.  The 5687 and 6SN7 have a very different tone. The 6SN7 has a characteristic 'fat tone' which many people like.  The 5687 tube is more linear and operates with much lower distortion.  Both circuits measure phenomenally in terms of THD and frequency response.  The 5687 circuit in the Marantz, borrowing heavily from R&D from our SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp (5687 based) is elegant and far less complex than the 6SN7 circuit used in the Sony and Oppo mods.

Just to clarify, the reason all of the comparisons are being made to the Sony. I have a modified Sony here but I do not have an Oppo on hand at the moment.  Also, the Sony is another Music Only player, and as such, is a relevant comparison to the Marantz.  To be clear however, the overall performance of the Sony and Oppo are so close, that I feel the comparison of the Marantz with tube mods to the modified Sony to be equally applicable to the Oppo.

I have learned a lot in the last two years, having worked with the Ambrose tube amp designs, the all-tube PH 150 Reference Phono and new all-tube SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp. I have applied all of this knowledge to the Marantz SA8005 tube mod. The results are exciting!

I am listening to music via SPDIF input to the Marantz this morning from my computer based music library and it sounds fantastic!

We never stop innovating and this is an exciting new level of performance!

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

« Reply #37 on: 5 Oct 2016, 04:37 pm »
Dan, your excitement about this project is flying off my computer screen.  Kudos to you and the work you are doing.

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:12 pm »
It is a very exciting project!  I lost my tech Fred for a short time this morning when I put on Santana Abraxas and he had to sit down and enjoy it!

Dan

brownsfan

« Reply #39 on: 5 Oct 2016, 11:25 pm »
Dan, those of us who have one of your modded HAPZ1 units might also like to benefit from your thoughts on a comparison with the new Marantz.  I found my Modwright HAPZ1 to be significantly better than my Modwright 5400 ES.  I recently sold my 5400 (good timing, apparently), so I will be looking for a second source soon.  The fact that the modded Marantz is in Elyse territory is quite a statement.