Insignia Upgrade with custom cabinets

Kristian105

Re: Insignia Upgrade with custom cabinets
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:16 am »
  If the baffle is a bit too wide, there may be a slight bump in the lower mid bass at the baffle step point, but the tightening of everything else should be an overall positive result.   

It starts to round over at about half an inch too wide.  How much damage can half an inch do?

Kristian105

« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2018, 10:22 pm »
Bondo, primer, primer again

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm »
It starts to round over at about half an inch too wide.  How much damage can half an inch do?
Danny can tell you exactly, but I imagine that if the whole front baffle is only 1/2" wide, I doubt if you'll hear a bump.  It might measure a couple of db. 
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2018, 02:41 pm by S Clark »

Kristian105

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2018, 11:41 pm »
Orange you glad they’re orange?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2018, 03:38 am »
These are going to be absolutely most kick ass low end speaker ever.  Eager to hear your listening impressions.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2018, 04:18 pm »
Wow, that looks nice!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2018, 12:21 am »
That's a great color :thumb:

Kristian105

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2018, 01:34 am »
Thank you :) 20 years painting. It’s a mistubishi color.  I’ll post a review this weekend.

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:26 am »
Awsome dude   8)

Picked up a pair of the Insignia  outdoor/waterproof/resistent speakers  a fw years ago for my buddy to use on his patio.   Even  inthe plastic/junk stock enclosures and stock networks, they sounded remarkably good.   Loking forward to hearing   what you think  of these now

jay

nickd

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2018, 06:19 pm »
I’m a fan of fiberglass too. Just sounds better IMOP. Took me a while to figure that out though and I hate working with the stuff. Learning to trust my ears more as I get older.

That’s how I discovered G&R Research. Saw a cool pic on line & went to Rocky Mountain and listened.
I’ve had a lot of fun building Danny’s designs since then. He designs old school tone with real bass at working man prices. Not too many guys doing that in the hi-fi world anymore.

I sometimes wonder if he would design the same if he lived elsewhere? Texas has a different environment than where I live. I’m thinking it influenced his taste away from “East coast sound” and leaned it toward a “live sound preference”.

Now back to the thread. Please let us know What you think of the sound of a concentric driver. I have not found one that imaged to my liking yet. The cone as a deep wave guide seems to limit dispersion and give “head in a vice” imaging. If you move the highs change quite a bit.

One exception to that was the early 80’s “Time window” and Time frame” models. totally wanted a pair of those. Found out 30 years later it was a coaxial driver. Who would have thought?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2018, 06:49 pm »
Those look great. Wish I had your painting skills  :thumb:

Mike

Kristian105

« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2018, 10:03 pm »
So I've been listening to these speakers for the last week and doing some AB comparisons.  I must say that they really exceed my expectations in every way!  I was planning on sticking these out in the garage while I build my N3TLs, but i think they'll be staying in my main system for the time being. 

Before I began this project I brought the unmodified insignias inside and plugged them in for a night.  My girls reaction was a curled lip and a question.. "why does it sound.. so... bleehhh".  Her reaction after the rebuild was hilarious.  She literally stopped in her tracks (which doesn't happen.. ever) and just stood there; mouth agape.. she turned to me and smiled wide.  "Wow, that's incredible! I can't believe how good they sound.. they sound better than the other ones!"  And its true.. they do. 

They obviously aren't the best speakers i've ever head, but they are enjoyable and leave little to be desired.  The on and off axis response is similar, pacing around while listening is no problem.  They do sound better a little further away though, near field is a little brash.  Overall they are a little on the warm side tonally (but not too much).  Treble is realistic and at times impressive; not world class, but enjoyable.  Bass is tight.. real tight, the weight of the cabinet is noticeable.   I made the cabinet a little too wide for the crossover, but there are no noticeable issues, bass is very clean, tight, and dynamic down to about 50hz.  Midrange is clean and realistic as well.  Imaging is pretty damn good.  Movies and Music both sound awesome.

I'm really happy with these.  I'm honestly surprised at how good they sound. They really hold their own.

nickd

« Reply #32 on: 4 Mar 2018, 10:45 pm »
Thanks for the listening impressions.  :thumb:
Glad they sound as good as they look. That is a really stunning pair of cabinets.

Captainhemo

« Reply #33 on: 6 Mar 2018, 07:06 am »
Cool man,  glad  it all worked out so well  and tha t they both sound and look great .   Never hurts  when you  build them yourself, adds that little extra  something   8)
Good luck with your  N3 Tl build,  you're going to love them,  fantasic   speakers  .

jay

Kristian105

« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2018, 12:27 am »
Almost finishing building these stands for the insignias.  I have a feeling I need to double up the base or it will warp.

Kristian105

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jun 2018, 10:01 pm »
I’m trying joint compound on the soft edges of the stands.  See how it holds up.

Kristian105

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jun 2018, 09:43 pm »
Done as it’s gonna get