My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

JoshK

Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #60 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:35 pm »
P.S.  since both of you will be using the DCi amps with the M2s, if you run into any trouble loading the tunings, give me a shout.   I spend 1.5hrs on the phone with a rep because there was one key thing left out of the instructions.   They probably fixed it but if they haven't, it is easy enough to do. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:36 pm »
On another forum, a guy who goes by Gooddoc put in a minor shelving filter to dial down the top end a wee bit.  That is the kind of stuff that audio architect will work well to do (you can even save different presets) that I wouldn't want to do in a AV processor.    You can go all tweaker, but I'm not a tweaker either.   I just set them up as per factory and enjoyed for the last 5 months.   I'll run room eq when I finish setting up my Atmos.
Nice.  Do you run full range tuning or the HPF tuning?  Multi subs?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:37 pm »
P.S.  since both of you will be using the DCi amps with the M2s, if you run into any trouble loading the tunings, give me a shout.   I spend 1.5hrs on the phone with a rep because there was one key thing left out of the instructions.   They probably fixed it but if they haven't, it is easy enough to do.
Thanks!  The instructions posted are still from 2015.  Please send the info!  ;-)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:40 pm »
Cant wait to read your thoughts once they arrive.  With the LIO front end I would expect stellar performance.

I may end up with the same setup.
I don't expect my thoughts to change any other than strengthen.  I'm pretty stoked!   :D

JoshK

« Reply #64 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:49 pm »
At the moment, because I've been lazy the last couple of months (long story but transitioning jobs), I haven't set up surround, and am running 2.0 only.   I put in the HPF tuning, but I really don't need to for my listening levels.    I will likely change that when i go back to add the tunings for my 7 series surrounds and atmos.     I have dual Rythmik subs at the moment with two other subs in storage (don't think they'll fit in this apartment). 

I've even been too lazy to hang my AT screen and projector, and just been using my trusty old 58" plasma. 

The one bit missing from the instructions was that when you load the M2 tunings (only a problem with M2 and DCi combo) the software doesn't automatically save it to the profile.  The trick is that you need to manually enter the name of the tuning after loading it, which will force it to save it to your amp.    It was a software bug, not something missing per se from the instructions since no other combo had this issue.  I actually found the fix myself while on the phone with them because they didnt' have the same combo on hand and couldn't recreate the problem.    In the big M2 thread on AVS, I was a bit clearer in my explanation because it was fresh on my mind.   I'll look for it, maybe a screen shot too.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:54 pm »
At the moment, because I've been lazy the last couple of months (long story but transitioning jobs), I haven't set up surround, and am running 2.0 only.   I put in the HPF tuning, but I really don't need to for my listening levels.    I will likely change that when i go back to add the tunings for my 7 series surrounds and atmos.     I have dual Rythmik subs at the moment with two other subs in storage (don't think they'll fit in this apartment). 

I've even been too lazy to hang my AT screen and projector, and just been using my trusty old 58" plasma. 

The one bit missing from the instructions was that when you load the M2 tunings (only a problem with M2 and DCi combo) the software doesn't automatically save it to the profile.  The trick is that you need to manually enter the name of the tuning after loading it, which will force it to save it to your amp.    It was a software bug, not something missing per se from the instructions since no other combo had this issue.  I actually found the fix myself while on the phone with them because they didnt' have the same combo on hand and couldn't recreate the problem.    In the big M2 thread on AVS, I was a bit clearer in my explanation because it was fresh on my mind.   I'll look for it, maybe a screen shot too.
Gotcha.  Easy enough to find, thanks!  I'll probably go with full range and measure before adding the subs to see what happens.  I purchased (2) of the new Funk Audio 21.0LXE subs using the UH21V1 drivers to start.  Space is also at a premium since moving from my previous house but I'll add more if needed to get the measurements correct like I had previously until I move again.  As you know, usually the ideal is 4 anyway. 

goskers

« Reply #66 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:18 pm »

Good stuff to know.  My order is slightly different as I went with the DCi8/600. A bit less power but it will run my M2 LCR off of one chassis. 

JoshK

« Reply #67 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:20 pm »
I'm running DCi4/600 for LR.   I have a DCi8/300 for surrounds, atmos, and for now center, so even less power to center until I grab another DCi2/600

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:20 pm »
Good stuff to know.  My order is slightly different as I went with the DCi8/600. A bit less power but it will run my M2 LCR off of one chassis.
I will be flying to hear this FULL JBL ATMOS setup!   :thumb:

goskers

« Reply #69 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:28 pm »
I will be flying to hear this FULL JBL ATMOS setup!   :thumb:

You'll have to wait until May then  :cry:

goskers

« Reply #70 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:31 pm »
I'm running DCi4/600 for LR.   I have a DCi8/300 for surrounds, atmos, and for now center, so even less power to center until I grab another DCi2/600

I decided on the 8/600 for LCR which leaves two channels left over for sub duties.  The surrounds are all 305p as you know.  I can get power above my ceiling so that became the most cost effective solution.  I would have loved to do 705 everywhere but funds aren't unlimited.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:33 pm »
You'll have to wait until May then  :cry:
I'm thinking longer than that since you're going to need time to get it all dialed in. Unless that's why you want me there in May (put my ass to work!).   :P :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #72 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:36 pm »
I hear you.   I put off the 7 series for surrounds/atmos as was going to use my Concentric 8s, but they I was let onto that b-stock clearance and pulled the trigger (they have some minor cosmetic flaws, nothing major).    I sold the Con8s. 

I am using 2x 708i for sides, and 4x 705i for atmos.  That leaves two channels for the center.   I will look to upgrade when/if I feel the need.   Since I live in a high rise apartment building (old concrete construction) I have to be mindful of my neighbors.  But so far I haven't gotten any word from my neighbors on spirited listening/demo sessions and I know my neighbors and told them to let me know if I was being annoying. 

JoshK

« Reply #73 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:40 pm »
...The surrounds are all 305p as you know.  I can get power above my ceiling so that became the most cost effective solution.  I would have loved to do 705 everywhere but funds aren't unlimited.

If you see the need (probably not), you can always upgrade them to 705p ($1k/ea) and don't have to worry about the amp reqs, it would be a simple swap. 

goskers

« Reply #74 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:42 pm »
If you see the need (probably not), you can always upgrade them to 705p ($1k/ea) and don't have to worry about the amp reqs, it would be a simple swap.

That is certainly the future plan.  I just don't see these as being the limiting system factor considering they are surround duty but who knows.

JoshK

« Reply #75 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:50 pm »
Yeah, I don't really put a lot of priority on the surrounds.   As long as you can't hear them stressing on soundtracks, why bother?

goskers

« Reply #76 on: 17 Apr 2017, 05:52 pm »
Yep, and with gentle high pass I don't think overall output should be a problem. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: 17 Apr 2017, 06:11 pm »
And you have M2's for LCR so the important stuff is covered!   :thumb:

Odal3

« Reply #78 on: 17 Apr 2017, 06:20 pm »
What do you use for pre-pro in your surround setups?

JoshK

« Reply #79 on: 17 Apr 2017, 06:33 pm »
Anthem AVM 60   (same a most on the big M2 thread)