Turn on the stereo after 8 years..

file1man

Turn on the stereo after 8 years..
« on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:54 pm »
Health improved so I can turn the stereo main on after 8 years off. Always wanted streamers, Dac's, & pc audio( JRiver, Roon, Schiit stuff ) to improve enough to geat good sound with no bad tradeoffs. Now I'm reading, learning to bring my stuff good enough to be sonically satisfying. Lusted after tubes for 15 years. 8) Last item is a tube preamp from either Don Sachs bought new,our in the used maket- Conrad Johnson CT-5, Allnic L3000 MKII, and Linear Tube Audio microzotl. Need opinions to bring me quickly up to speed & make an educated decision. Help    file1man

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Turn on the stereo after 8 years..
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2018, 10:26 pm »
Welcome.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2018, 10:51 pm »
Welcome to AC.  All those preamps you listed are great, tough choice.  The Sachs allows you to customize to your tastes.  Give Don a call and tell him what you are looking for.  I spoke to him last year and almost ordered one but decided to keep my BAT.  As far as CJ I would look at an ET-5  (instead of the CJ-5) and there are a few for sale on Audiogon used for good prices as the new ET-7 is available.

For dac's take a look at PS Audio Direct Stream, a very detailed and versatile DAC with multiple software packages so you can tailor the sound to you liking.  The T + A DAC8 is awesome if you use HQ player and upsample to DSD512.  Others to consider are the Auralic Vega G2 and Schiit Audio Yggdrasil.

Larry

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2018, 10:54 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2018, 11:03 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC file1man    :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2018, 11:22 pm »
Welcome aboard File1man, glad you are better now :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2018, 01:55 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, file1man.  Congrats on getting your health back!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2018, 05:19 pm »
Welcome.