2.5 VS 4B

schmidtmike76

2.5 VS 4B
« on: 16 Dec 2017, 05:38 pm »
Has anyone A/B the 2.5 vs the 4B, Im lurking for power but want to know what the soldiers have to say first.  Thanks, Mike

PierreB

Re: 2.5 VS 4B
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2017, 09:01 pm »
If you think you will be happier with the 4B, go for it. Life is too short.

john1970

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2017, 09:51 pm »
Never compared the two because the 4B is the best value in terms of power in the Bryston amplifier lineup.  I used a Bryston 4B SST2 to power a variety of speakers and it never clipped.  Amazing amp and built like a brick. 

schmidtmike76

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2017, 11:13 pm »
What I’m curious is what do you get more of. 

john1970

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2017, 12:17 am »
The 4B vs. the 2.5B should provide the following:

1) More current delivery.
2) Additional headroom for dynamic music. 

A few questions:

1) What efficiency of speaker are you driving with the amp?
2) How large of a room are you listening to music in?
3) What volume do you normally listen to music at?

A 2.5B3 retails for $3695 while a 4B3 retails for $5995 so the cost is about twice the cost for a 4B3. 

schmidtmike76

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2017, 03:59 am »
I’m not sure about the sensitivity of my focal 1027be’s.  The room is relatively small 24x14 and I like to listen with some volume 85db for those moments alone.

john1970

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm »
I’m not sure about the sensitivity of my focal 1027be’s.  The room is relatively small 24x14 and I like to listen with some volume 85db for those moments alone.

According to Focal the sensitivity of your speaker is "Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB", which is relatively efficient.  Given your preferred listening volume and size of room the 2.5B might be more than enough.  Does your Bryston retailer have both the 2.5B and 4B in stock.  My advice would be to try both in your system and determine if the 4B is worth the extra cost. 

Another point to consider, is there a chance that you would change to different speakers which would be potentially less efficient?  If yes, the 4B would be more future proof.  I had a 4B SST2 that I used to drive large VMPS RM40 and B&W 802D speakers and it never had any issues (went into clipping) at volumes with 100 dB peaks.  Normally I listen in the 85 to 90 dB range.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2017, 03:28 am »
Hey Mike, i had look at the spec sheet for your speakers. Based on the data, I bet they sound lovely...with some pretty deep bass too.  I would look for a little more power than the 2.5 for your speakers - but given the size of your room, the 4B might be a bit overkill.

Have you thought about the 3B? That just might be the ticket!

Good luck.

TJ

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2017, 07:44 pm »
Has anyone A/B the 2.5 vs the 4B, Im lurking for power but want to know what the soldiers have to say first.  Thanks, Mike

4B = peace of mind (for future speaker upgrades, etc) --> closer to Nirvana   :P

schmidtmike76

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2017, 04:30 pm »
Thanks for the insights gentlemen it has me searching

PierreB

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2017, 06:30 pm »
For about the same price of a 4B3 you can have a used 7B2.
Have you look for this alternative??

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2017, 10:05 pm »
My room is a little over 14 ft wide by 25 ft long. I'm using a pair of 7B SST2's with my Focal sopra 2's which are also 91db efficient and rated at a nominal 8 ohm resistance. This is a new room for me and after a couple of months I'm beginning to think that the 7's are overkill for this room. I'm considering a trade out for a 4B3.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:42 am »
no I haven’t to be honest and it could be a good place to look

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:01 am »

Looking at your System profile, you are using a 2B in a room about 24 ' x 14 '
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1429

Mike 's room is about the same size, so why are you recommending that he get two 7B monos?? They are overkill.

PierreB

« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:02 am »
Looking at your System profile, you are using a 2B in a room about 24 ' x 14 '
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1429

Mike 's room is about the same size, so why are you recommending that he get two 7B monos?? They are overkill.

Sorry but I don’t understand your question. Why do you said it’s overkill. It’s only 3db more than a 4B.
And what my room have to do here???  :scratch:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:27 am »
Sorry but I don’t understand your question. Why do you said it’s overkill. It’s only 3db more than a 4B.
And what my room have to do here???  :scratch:

Don't get defensive LOL. I just go with what you've shown on your album.
If a 2B is (apparently) good enough for your room size, why are you recommending 7B's for Mike, whose room size and speaker sensitivity are similar to yours and to others on this thread (e.g. 95Dyna) who ahve stated that 7B's are likely "overkill".

Get it now?   :duh:

PierreB

« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:32 am »
Don't get defensive LOL. I just go with what you've shown on your album.
If a 2B is (apparently) good enough for your room size, why are you recommending 7B's for Mike, whose room size and speaker sensitivity are similar to yours and to others on this thread (e.g. 95Dyna) who ahve stated 7B's are likely "overkill".

Get it now?   :duh:

Don’t worry, it’s just that I don’t understand why you bring my system and my room here. If you want to discuss my system, just send me a personnal email, I will be happy to talk with you (hope you can speak french because my english is so-so). I know you have a 14B and it’s something, with a 7B that i’m looking for my next amp.  :wink:
But you are 100% right, my 2B (great amp btw) is good anough for my room size and my ProAc  :thumb:

Have a nice Chrismas.  :xmas:

Sorry I forget your real question. Why not a 7B if he can paid for it even if it’s « overkill ». The joy to possess such a great piece of equipment and to look at it each days, it’s part of the fun, no....

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:11 pm »
Don’t worry, it’s just that I don’t understand why you bring my system and my room here. If you want to discuss my system, just send me a personnal email, I will be happy to talk with you (hope you can speak french because my english is so-so). I know you have a 14B and it’s something, with a 7B that i’m looking for my next amp.  :wink:
But you are 100% right, my 2B (great amp btw) is good anough for my room size and my ProAc  :thumb:

Have a nice Chrismas.  :xmas:

Sorry I forget your real question. Why not a 7B if he can paid for it even if it’s « overkill ». The joy to possess such a great piece of equipment and to look at it each days, it’s part of the fun, no....

I'm with ya Pierre, no worries. I think a 14B would do your system wonders. But a 7B will do it too.  :thumb: :green:

Nice system you have.

Joyeux Noel et a bientot (no accents here on my clefboard-Anglais heh).   :lol: