FS Complete 15” Hawthorne Audio Active 3-way Open Baffle Speaker Setup

cr_otmopo3ok

For SALE - Hawthorne Audio Active 3-way 15" Open Baffle Speaker Setup with MiniDSP Digital Crossovers.
EDIT: Dec 20,2017 The Pair of 15" Auggies have been sold.
EDIT: Jan 6,2018 Everything except the Auggies is still for Sale.

The rest of the package is still for sale FOR 630$ !!!

They sound absolutely amazing! Since they are Open Baffle they do not have any box colorations and interact with the room in a completely different Dipole manner. They excite less standing waves because the front and rear waves cancel each other out.
This means no more boomy base, they just sound very tight especially on any lower octave stings and Jazz.
Effortless but not overpowering BASS - "there is no replacement for displacement", you definitely feel the 15" woofers create the sound so effortlessly in open air. If you are into heavy Rock, these deliver in spades as well.
The Mid-Woofer is a Coaxial driver with Compression-Driver Tweeter mounted in it's throat. This creates extremely coherent image, even for the size of these speakers, if you give them room to breathe, they create a huge soundstage that extends way beyond the right and left edges of the room.

Overall the sound is very unique to Open Baffle design and definitely must be experienced at least once in your life.

So why am I selling them you ask, I'm in the middle of the move, child on a way, so I have to part with a lot of equipment. I do not want to see these babies go.

The speakers include:
2 x 15" Hawthorne Audio Sterling Silver Iris Coaxials Mid-Woofers
2 x Modified Radian 475PB-8 Compression Driver Tweeter + Throat Adapters
2 x DIY 15" Duet baffles in white birch (unfinished). They measure 40.75" H x 17" W x 13" D, with two circular cutouts for 15" drivers.
2 x 2x4 MiniDSP Digital Audio Crossovers + Advanced 4xway Crossover Plugin

The whole setup is still usable, you just have to purchase a separate 15” OB specific drivers to fit these 15” cutouts.

The 15in Open Baffle Bass driver should be pretty easy to find. Especially as OB become more and more popular, more and more manufacturers are making them.

Eminence Alpha 15A - a VERY popular OB alternative I almost bought myself
https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-alpha-15a-15-driver--290-407
another alternative:
Goldwood GW-215/40/8 15" OEM Woofer 40 oz.
https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-215-40-8-15-oem-woofer-40-oz--290-346

I'm the original owner and everything is still in very good condition.
See Pictures: Hawthorne Audio 15" 3-way Open Baffle Speakers - Stirling Silver Iris for SALE - Google Photos

I did not order Hawthorne's crossovers.
I used an Active Crossover with 6 channels of amplification setup approach - a Digital MiniDSP 2x4 with Advanced Plugin 4-way crossover.
It works extremely well and is very convenient for experimenting and testing, you can tailor the bass to your liking, plus it has almost unlimited capabilities as a crossover.
miniDSP in a BOX : miniDSP 2x4
http://www.minidsp.com/images/docume...%20plug-in.pdf
Some interesting things you can do with MiniDSP 2x4
http://www.hifizine.com/2010/12/prot...e-minidsp-2x4/
http://www.hifizine.com/2011/03/refi...r-minidsp-2x4/
http://www.hifizine.com/2011/09/prot...e-bass-system/

The whole speaker setup is plug-and play ready to go. Just add your amplifiers.
The crossover setup is already saved in the MiniDSP Configuration file and can be accessed from any Mac or PC with USB port. The adjustments can be done in real time in the MiniDSP GUI Interface.
Crossover points of around 60HZ for the Augie and 2500Hz 24-48db/oct for Mid/Tweeter. I've experimented with the crossover and set it around 2500hz for my taste.

Cost when bought New from Hawthorne Audio website:

2 x 15" Hawthorne Audio Sterling Silver Iris Coaxials Mid-Woofer - $500/pair
2 x Modified Radian 475PB-8 Compression Driver Tweeter - 340$/pair
2 x Compression Tweeter Driver Adapters - 20$/pair
2 x 2x4 MiniDSPs + Crossover Plugin - 210$/pair

The Total is $1440 if bought new.

I'm letting it go for 630$ + Shipping.

Or

Local Pickup in Staten Island, NY.

I can include the baffles for free as long as you pay for the shipping.
Packaging for the Speakers will be done in a very safe and sturdy manner.

Sterling Silver Iris 15” Passive XO
If you prefer to buy just the speakers and assemble your own crossover, it’s entirely possible since the plans are public and the crossover is very simple.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5aemkBpf34UyE6S52

From the original website:

Sterling Silver Iris OB 15” Coaxial Unit
$800.00
The STERLING Silver Iris represents our finest DIY offering to date. The design was developed with high performance as the primary objective and is intended to satisfy the most discriminating OB aficionado. You will find this driver package ideal for use as a full range OB specific driver of noteworthy performance. Every effort has been made to ensure stellar performance and minimal compromise. The frequency response, while room specific, does fully cover the range required for nearly all of your musical needs without creating a demand for large baffles or EQ. For even broader frequency response, the Silver Iris Augie would fill in nicely under these coaxials.

Mid-Woofer Specifications:
• 15” premium full-range coaxial driver package
• Ideal for full-range, near field and monitoring applications in open baffle configuration
• Heavy gauge cast basket
• Cutout 14” (356 mm)
• Outside Diameter 15.33” (389 mm)
• 2” voice coil
• Power handling: 150 watts RMS
• Impedance: 8 Ohms
• System Sensitivity: 96 dB 1w/1m
• Qt: 0.70
• Xmax: 3.45mm
• Fs: 35.9Hz
• Magnet weight: 38ounces
• Frequency range: 36hz-21khz
• Crossover network included
• Cut out 14”
• OD 15.33”

Sterling Silver Iris Tweeter Description:
The 475PB, with a 1.75” diaphragm, represents the refinement of Radian's design efforts in 1” exit-format compression driver technology. Superior sound quality, unparalleled power handling, extended high frequency response, and high reliability make Radian compression drivers the preferred choice of loudspeaker systems manufacturers, consultants, contractors, designers, and engineers around the world. Specifications:
• Power handling: 35 watts RMS/70 watts program above 1 kHz/24 dB slope
• VCdia: 1.75”
• Impedance: 8 ohms
• Frequency response: 800-21,000 Hz
• SPL: 111 dB 1W/1m
• Dimensions: 5.25” diameter x 2.6” depth
• Net weight: 6.4 lbs.
• Replacement diaphragm available Heat-treated structural alloy aluminum diaphragm domes Mylar® surround enhances the diaphragm’s reliability and eliminates fatigue Smooth, low-distortion, linear output devoid of resonant peaks High temperature voice coil formers and advanced adhesives Manufactures spec sheet: http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/294-700s.pdf
• Each STERLING Silver Iris OB 15” Coaxial Unit consists of: (1) STERLING Silver Iris 15” driver, (1) Radian high frequency driver and (1) premium crossover network. A stereo pair would require (2) STERLING Silver Iris OB 15” Coaxial Units.
Model: SSI-OB-15
Shipping Weight: 35lbs
Manufactured by: Hawthorne Audio

Radian 475PB-8 1” Aluminum Horn Driver
$169.00
For over two decades Radian Audio has manufactured some of the world’s finest compression drivers. Radian Audio’s compression drivers sound better because of their amazing diaphragm design. The compression driver diaphragms are made of proprietary annealed aluminum with Mylar TM surrounds and in numerous independent lab tests have less measurable distortion than the competition. The result? Less distortion, less listening fatigue and a better listening experience for all.
Specification
• FREQUENCY RESPONSE 800 Hz - 21 kHz
• POWER HANDLING 35 watts RMS
• SENSITIVITY 111 dB
• RECOMMENDED CROSSOVER 800 Hz, 24 dB/octave 1200 Hz, 12 dB/octave
• IMPEDANCE 8 or 16 ohms
• D.C. RESISTANCE 6.2 or 10.5 ohms
• VOICE COIL DIAMETER 1.75”
• DIAPHRAGM MATERIAL 0.002 heat-treated aluminum alloy • DIAPHRAGM SUSPENSION Mylar®
• MAGNET 38.4 oz. Ferrite V
• VOICE COIL MATERIAL Edgewound copper-clad aluminum
• DIMENSIONS (HWD) 5.25”
• FLUX DENSITY 18,800 gauss
• INPUT CONNECTORS Goldplated Pushbutton Terminals
• MOUNTING Two 1/4-20 studs, on 3.0
• NET WEIGHT 6.4 lbs., 2.9 kg
Model: 475PB-8
Shipping Weight: 8lbs
Manufactured by: Radian

Silver Iris OB 15” Augie
$185.00
The Silver Iris OB 15” Augie bass augmentation driver is specifically built to provide low frequency reinforcement for the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris 15” coaxial speaker system. It can however be successfully implemented in a variety of applications including dedicated 2 channel and home theater systems. It mates well with nearly any main speaker and provides articulate bass reinforcement, which increases the realism and impact of nearly any system. The 15” Silver Iris Augie was well reviewed by Dick Olsher of “Enjoy the Music.com” Following is an excerpt taken from his review of the 15” Augie. “It seems to me that many listeners confuse bass weight with bass extension and opt for a subwoofer when bass weight is lacking. The problem typically lies in the upper bass, the octave from 120Hz to 240Hz where much of an orchestra's foundation and acoustic power resides. This is the octave that box woofers have a hard time coping with, basically managing to sound boxy through this range. In contrast, the Augie managed to shine here, elucidating instrumental fundamentals with consummate clarity and 3D realism. The Augie's performance was so open-baffle friendly that I decided to use it as a foundation for several full range drivers. The OB2 finds the Augie mated with the fantastic Feastrex D5nf. Future projects will feature the Lowther DX55 and C55, as well as the new Jordan JXr 6HD module.” You may read the full review here. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0107/diy_loudspeaker_project.htm
Specifications:
• 15” low frequency augmentation driver
• Ideal for bass augmentation in open baffle and infinite baffle configurations
• Heavy cast basket
• Kevlar Reinforced Paper Cone Body w/mass plug
• Long excursion poly/cotton cloth surround
• Large copper shorting ring on the vented core
• Poly/cotton linear flat spider
• Knurled binding posts
• 2.5” voice coil
• Power handling: 225 watts RMS.
• Impedance: 8 Ohms
• SPL: 88.7 dB 1w/1m
• Le: 0.81
• Re: 5.69 Ohms
• Qt: 0.92
• Vas: 250.3 liters
• Xmax: 7.15 mm
• Fs: 27.0 Hz
• Magnet weight: 67ounces
• Cut out 13.875”
• OD 15.25”
Model: SI-OBA-15
Shipping Weight: 19lbs
Manufactured by: Hawthorne Audio
Augie Review:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0107/diy_loudspeaker_project.htm

Specifications
Type: Open baffle three-way loudspeaker
Sterling Silver Iris OB 15” Coaxial Unit
Driver: 15-inch premium full-range coaxial driver with heavy gauge cast basket
Voice Coil: 2-inch
Power Handling: 150 watts RMS
Impedance: 8 Ohms
System Sensitivity: 97.3 dB/W/m
Qt: 0.70
XMax: 3.45mm
Fs: 35.9Hz
Magnet weight: 38ounces