Restoring a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE

amr

Restoring a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE
« on: 10 Dec 2017, 11:14 am »
Hello

I'm restoring a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE. The first problem is that the previous owner changed many components in the crossover network, and I want to rebuild it with the original values. I was wondering if there is any information available about this, a schematic with the components values will be very helpful... The second problem is that the woofers are missing. Does anyone know which brand or model they are?

Thank you.

mhconley

Re: Restoring a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:57 pm »
Can anyone help out here? OP is just a regular Joe trying to bring back to life a butchered pair of VR-4 Gen III HSE. I am interested in answers, too, because, due to the age of these speakers, they may be reaching the end of the usable life of their capacitors. Working class stiffs like the OP and I don't have the megabucks needed to send these speakers back to the factory for their loving care. (Much as we wish we did and could.) Can ya help a guy out?

Thanks,
Martin

amr

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2018, 01:25 pm »
Thanks Martin. If someone can take some pictures of the crossover, I could try to draw the schematic. About the woofers, perhaps the model is written in the magnetic assembly..
I've run out of resources...and is not feasible send them back to factory, on the other side of the world..  :?

htradtk

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm »
 Amr,

Your best bet is to contact VSA directly. I’m sure Damon, Leif and their team would be a great help and get you in the right direction to restoring those speakers! Let us know how it goes.

Henry

amr

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2018, 05:59 am »
Thanks Henry. I have already contacted without luck...

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2018, 09:56 pm »
Hi amr,

You can email me direct at leif@vonschweikert.com

amr

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2018, 07:56 am »
Thank you very much Leif

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2018, 07:09 pm »
Hello

I'm restoring a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE. The first problem is that the previous owner changed many components in the crossover network, and I want to rebuild it with the original values.

Most audiophiles/companies capable of performing crossover mods would have likely used same (or very close) values (uF, Ohm, etc) but just upgraded parts quality. 

Definitely compare values and parts quality to "original" specs, in order to avoid going backwards  :o

optimationman

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2018, 09:12 am »
amr, I too have restored a pair of HSEs, but a set of VR5s.  I believe they are very similar crossovers.  One suggestion that helped mine out was to bypass the large solen midrange cap(45 -60uf) with a .05 to .1 film cap.  sounds crazy, but smoothed out the mids on mine.  Also, if yours had Hovland/solen paralleled in the tweeter circuit, replace the solens.  I tested the impedance compensating electrolytics in the woofer section and found them fine after all these years.  Check all solder joints as I found some to be not up to my standards.

Good modding........

optimationman

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2018, 09:24 am »
Forgot one other item.  Check the value of any Eagle resistors if they are present in your modded crossover.  I did find two that were off by 50% and quite discolored.  Contact me for futher info.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2018, 01:03 pm »
As I mentioned in the other thread about this exact same topic, if worst comes to worst, it may be possible to send just the crossovers for service, at huge savings over shipping complete speaks.

amr

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:32 pm »
Hi amr,

You can email me direct at leif@vonschweikert.com

Hello Leif. Have you received my email? Thank you.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2018, 05:23 pm »
Not that I have seen.

leif@vonschweikert.com

amr

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2018, 08:00 pm »
Ok, I have just sent you an email again. Please notify me if you do not receive it

Thank you very much