RMAF 2017

jsalk

RMAF 2017
« on: 30 Oct 2017, 09:07 pm »
We haven't commented on the recent Rocky Mountain Audiofest, so I thought I better take some time to comment before it is past history.

We were in two room this year, with two completely different systems.

We shared one room with Schiit Audio and it went over very well.  We received a lot of very positive comments from people who were very impressed with the sound quality of a system that cost a fraction of what most systems cost at the show.  In this room, we featured the Song3-A's.  The Audio Beatnick presented us with an award for the "Best System Under $10,000." You can read more about it here: http://theaudiobeatnik.com/index.php/2017/10/27/presenting-beatnik-bongos-awards-rmaf-2017-part-3/

It is always a pleasure working with Jason, Dave, Denise and the entire Schiit crew and we're looking forward to working with them again down the line.

On the other end of the spectrum, we shared a room with LampizatOr.  They were showing their new crown jewel, the $19,000 Pacific DAC, driving a $19,000 pair of monoblock amps that powered a pair of Song3-Encore's.  Again, we received very positive feedback on this setup.  In the case of one reviewer, it was the sound he heard in the hall outside the room that drew him in.  You can read his comments here: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/10/11/rmaf-2017-lampizator-debuts-stunning-pacific-dac-in-denver/

Again, it was great to work with Lukas, Fred and Rob. They ran the room with very little help from us and did a great job.  We're looking forward to many more great shows with them.   

In both of these articles, you will note that there was very little mention of the speakers themselves.  That is why I mentioned which models that were involved.  That is par for the course, but is OK since we know that you can't have great sound without great speakers.  So, all in all, it was a very worthwhile trip and an opportunity to touch base with a lot of old friends and make quite a few new ones.  See you next year! 

Now its off to DC for the Capital Audiofest...

- Jim

JDoyle

Re: RMAF 2017
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2017, 10:16 pm »
Congrats on the great reviews. I was going to ask if you only had the Encores in the Lampi room since those appeared to be the only speakers I could see in any photos I saw... Earlier, I believe  you mentioned taking the Exotica 3's, but I'm very pleased to read that the Encores sounded so good.

Please don't reply, get back to work on my Encores   :lol:

JD

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2017, 10:19 pm »
Jim, I didn't remember seeing you on the list for CAF. Glad you'll be there. Always one of the better rooms.

Brian D

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2017, 10:27 pm »
Glad the show went well for you Jim.  I read everything I could, especially about the pairing with Schiit, as I am using their components now.  I'm trying not to be too impatient waiting for my Song3's!  I know it will be worth the wait.

Hifiquest

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2017, 02:11 am »
Congrats on the great reviews. I was going to ask if you only had the Encores in the Lampi room since those appeared to be the only speakers I could see in any photos I saw... Earlier, I believe  you mentioned taking the Exotica 3's, but I'm very pleased to read that the Encores sounded so good.

Please don't reply, get back to work on my Encores   :lol:

JD

Agreed, great reviews and +1 re the no replies  :lol:. Eagerly awaiting my Veracity ST's, can't wait.

Grbluen

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2017, 01:59 pm »
 Jim, now that we heard of most of the options maybe you could list the different Song 3 models and the differences between the options. I think that I have the basic (first) model, but I am interested in the differences.
Thanks,
Don

JDoyle

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2017, 05:18 pm »
I do have to ask though if the Show Speakers used have any special ingredients, or are they the Standard Song 3 Encores?

JD

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2017, 05:42 pm »
I do have to ask though if the Show Speakers used have any special ingredients, or are they the Standard Song 3 Encores?

JD

No "special sauce" here...we never upgrade any aspect of show or review speakers.  That would be dishonest.  We do, however, often go with an exotic (expensive) finish.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2017, 05:50 pm »
Jim, now that we heard of most of the options maybe you could list the different Song 3 models and the differences between the options. I think that I have the basic (first) model, but I am interested in the differences.
Thanks,
Don

We packing for CAF right now, so I won't have any time before the show.  But I'll try and remember to do this after we return next week.

- Jim

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2017, 08:54 pm »
We packing for CAF right now, so I won't have any time before the show.  But I'll try and remember to do this after we return next week.

- Jim

I'd be interested in this as well. I'm wondering if the beryllium tweeter is available with the standard midrange or if it requires the AT or Accuton midrange due to the crossover or other issues?

JonnyFive

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2017, 12:01 am »
I'd be interested in this as well. I'm wondering if the beryllium tweeter is available with the standard midrange or if it requires the AT or Accuton midrange due to the crossover or other issues?

I believe you'd have no problem upgrading to the Be tweeter in a Song 3 model.  I don't want to steal Jim's thunder, so perhaps he can chime in about the new Be tweeter he and Dennis are considering. :)