The 30.7 is here!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

josh358

Re: The 30.7 is here!
« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2017, 03:23 pm »
Spectacular review!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2017, 04:54 pm »
So the price is $30,000 ish.
wow.
However, the vague comments about a new quasi ribbon midrange?
May mean a whole new level of magic...
I definitely do not have $30,000 laying around.

josh358

« Reply #23 on: 8 Oct 2017, 05:08 pm »
Damn, I was hoping you did, and would send it to me. :-)

That midrange certainly got a rave, didn't it . . . I may not be able to afford these, but I'd love to give them a listen.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2017, 05:25 pm »
I just checked in the sofa and no dice.
Did find a half eaten oreo cookie so all is not lost.

To console myself, I stuck the original value coupling caps into the deHavilland Ultraverve preamp and got considerably more bass out of the 3.7s.  I put in lower value caps when I was struggling with 20.7s and their bass output and got too lazy to put the original ones back in.
Shame the wife is sleeping, I'd really like to crank the volume and get a real appreciation for the change.
I can tell I need to back off the subwoofer a bit, though.

Wonder if you can buy a section of these new 30.7s? 
This might be the start of a whole new line of things from them, you can never tell with these guys. 
Just when you think they all retired they launch something like these Lottery Speakers.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2017, 05:58 pm »
Might be time to up the life insurance on SWMBO... :peek:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2017, 07:49 pm »
Can you insure Jenny?

josh358

« Reply #27 on: 8 Oct 2017, 07:55 pm »
At someone's request I asked Wendell whether mid-tweets or bass panels would be available separately and he said no, there were a number of impediments to that. But hey, you could always buy the tweeter! And then build the rest out of Legos or something.

Damn, my IVA's are looking old . . .

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2017, 08:08 pm »
Can you insure Jenny?

Shit, I'd kill her for a Klondike Bar!    :banghead:

jhm731

josh358

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2017, 08:49 pm »
Good find!

SteveFord

• Facilitator

Ric Schultz

« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2017, 07:51 pm »
Imagine how much better they would sound if they had actually made some nice baffles and feet for them instead of the usual "flag waving in the air" baffles they have constantly made.  OH MY GOD......you would be mind blown.  Look at those stupid feet!!!!!   Ha ha ha....what a joke!  Check out this thread where a guy made some nice aluminum baffles for the 20.1:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100547.0

What if you made something even better for these new speakers?......thicker aluminum going all the way to the top.....and then you braced them to the ceiling!!!!!!......you would have bass so dynamic and clear it would be like having a giant Wilson speaker on the bottom end but even cleaner sound everywhere.

I just don't understand Magnepan.  This is so clearly compromised.  Heck, raise the price twenty or thirty thousand and give us something out of this world!  If I bought these speakers I would immediately have custom wild stands made for all the panels and brace them to the ceiling.  Of course, you would want no grill cloth or fuses and all the xover parts and wiring and terminals would be upgraded to the worlds most transparent parts.  We are now talking State of the Art!!!!!!

josh358

« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2017, 08:14 pm »
Wendell tells me that the reason they used the old feet is that the new oval bases didn't look good on the 30.7. I asked whether the could use a weighted base behind the speaker, and he said that they're very heavy and as a result the base would have to be extremely heavy as well.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2017, 09:00 pm »
Wendell tells me that the reason they used the old feet is that the new oval bases didn't look good on the 30.7. I asked whether the could use a weighted base behind the speaker, and he said that they're very heavy and as a result the base would have to be extremely heavy as well.

Yes, we don't want them too heavy......because then you could not have your wife move them while your in the sweet spot.  HA HA HA.  I want 250lb. plus bass panels and massive feet!   I want BASS.....fast, tight, punchy.  You are never going to get that kind of bass from "flapping in the wind" frames and feet.

The Wilson Alexia weighs 256lbs. !!!!!!!
The Alexx is 452lbs. !!!!!  Fremer says the best bass yet from Wilson

Davey

« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2017, 12:09 am »
What forces are at work here that would cause these to exhibit "flag waving in the air" motion???

The 30.7's are a completely symmetrical motor structure, yes???

If we could magically transport these to the micro-gravity environment of the International Space Station do you think they would start flying all over the place when playing music???

Dave.

twitch54

« Reply #36 on: 19 Oct 2017, 12:33 am »
Yes, we don't want them too heavy......because then you could not have your wife move them while your in the sweet spot.  HA HA HA.  I want 250lb. plus bass panels and massive feet!   I want BASS.....fast, tight, punchy.  You are never going to get that kind of bass from "flapping in the wind" frames and feet.

The Wilson Alexia weighs 256lbs. !!!!!!!
The Alexx is 452lbs. !!!!!  Fremer says the best bass yet from Wilson

Your comparing 'Apples to Turnips' !

Ric Schultz

« Reply #37 on: 19 Oct 2017, 04:49 am »
What forces are at work here that would cause these to exhibit "flag waving in the air" motion???

The 30.7's are a completely symmetrical motor structure, yes???

If we could magically transport these to the micro-gravity environment of the International Space Station do you think they would start flying all over the place when playing music???

Dave.

My words are expressive, perhaps a slight...he he..... exaggeration.  Maybe your not clever enough to see the truth?  It is a common known FACT that the Magneplanars have never had good frames and feet.....not to mention other not so good construction and parts.  Please peruse years worth of stuff about Maggies here:  https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=mug      And check out the MUG buttons at the top....lots of info.

Then there is Magnestand, etc.....please read up.  You cannot have a tall thin bass planar supported by nothing other than some MDF and veneer and sitting on poor feet and expect clarity and power in the bass.  It is just not possible.

Please read the afore mentioned thread on the guy making his own frames for the 20.1......the 30.7 would benefit just as much.   He said the heavy solid aluminum stands transformed the speaker....especially below 500hz.

My friend modded the old Acoustats......I listened to his system often.  When he braced his 1+1s to the ceiling its as if you changed the funky flabby planar bass to a bunch of 6.5 inch super woofers......it kicked ass.....hit you in the chest.   

I am sorry to say that probably no one will ever mod a 30.7 or make better stands or feet.  I mean, how many people are going to pay $29,000 and then tear them all apart and mod the crap out of them?  This is why the Maggies that get modded are the less expensive ones.   Its really too bad.  No one will ever hear how incredible they could sound if done right.  I hope someone.....someday, does mod them and reports.  However, I will not hold my breath.

I have nothing more to say about all this.  I am a person who likes to share "more of what is possible".  There is always more to learn.  We are all bozo's on the bus!
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2017, 07:46 pm by Ric Schultz »

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 19 Oct 2017, 05:49 am »
My words are expressive, perhaps a slight...he he..... exaggeration.  Maybe your not clever enough to see the truth?  It is a common known FACT that the Magneplanars have never had good frames and feet.....not to mention other not so good construction and parts.  Please peruse years worth of stuff about Maggies here:  https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=mug      And check out the MUG buttons at the top....lots of info.

Then there is Magnestand, etc.....please read up.  You cannot have a tall thin bass planar supported by nothing other than some MDF and veneer and sitting on poor feet and expect clarity and power in the bass.  It is just not possible.

Please read the afore mentioned thread on the guy making his own frames for the 20.1......the 30.7 would benefit just as much.   He said the heavy solid aluminum stands transformed the speaker....especially below 500hz.

My friend modded the old Acoustats......I listened to his system often.  When he braced his 1+1s to the ceiling its as if you changed the funky flabby planar bass to a bunch of 6.5 inch super woofers......it kicked ass.....hit you in the chest.   

I am sorry to say that probably no one will ever mod a 30.7 or make better stands or feet.  I mean, how many people are going to pay $29,000 and then tear them all apart and mod the crap out of them?  This is why the Maggies that get modded are the less expensive ones.   Its really too bad.  No one will ever hear how incredible they could sound if done right.  I hope someone.....someday, does mod them and reports.  However, I will not hold my breath.

I hear you as I just read this article on Quad support> http://www.eslinspiration.com/

This is the same concept I use in my DML panel designs where I use built in support stands that are sturdy.

Davey

« Reply #39 on: 19 Oct 2017, 03:23 pm »
Ric,

I don't see an answer(s) in there to any of my questions.
You do understand the difference between frames and stands, yes?

I should read The Planar Asylum and about the exploits of "Peter Gunn"???  You must be new.  :)

BTW, opinions from folks who have commercial interests, I greatly minimize.

Dave.