Running a side rack with GR Super V -- long RCAs and speaker cables?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
If the Sonica is anything like the 105 be sure the 1TB drive has its own power supply.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I have my racks off to the side also. Far enough away I use a 7 meter XLR cable pair to reach my amp situated between the speaker.
(I like it as I have the preamp close at hand to my listening chair. No need for a remote control!)

Also have to say the power cord parallel and next to the IC bundle is BAD.
I would move the powercord up at least a few inches above the IC bundle.

And finally mass always helps turntable stands. If footfalls are a problem, adding some mass to the floor around the TT stand can prestress the floor so the footfalls cause less disturbance.

danvprod

Thanks mlundy57 and Elizabeth.

I'm going to experiment with dressing the cables today and getting the ICs wrapped together and away from the power cords. With this new arrangement, more of my crossings can be a right angles, but there is a PC that has to run to the DAC and also the PC for the tube amp.

Mass loading the floor is good Idea. I have a sandbag and big kettlebell that I can experiment with as a start. The 3" maple block that the TT sits on now is almost 50 lbs already.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Yes, try to keep all wires short.

Which way is the floor joists running?  Avoid having turntable supported by the same floor joists as speakers/sub.

I see cork/neoprene isolators, IMO useless as they're designed to support hundreds of pounds each (so they'd be too stiff to offer any cushion).  And stacking any isolator is useless too.

But do get all gear off the floor in case of any amount of flooding.  I replaced a small rack (about the size of your turntable rack) that was between the speakers with a spare piece of shelving that is spiked to the floor.  It opened up the soundstage to an amazing degree.

danvprod

Yes, try to keep all wires short.
I am doing what a can  :D
Which way is the floor joists running?  Avoid having turntable supported by the same floor joists as speakers/sub.
They are running across the room in the same direction as my speakers are placed. This is why moving the rack with the TT to the sidewall helps, I believe. Different joists vs. the speakers and also the rack is straddling three joists this way.
I see cork/neoprene isolators, IMO useless as they're designed to support hundreds of pounds each (so they'd be too stiff to offer any cushion).  And stacking any isolator is useless too.
Yes, they did nothing. I removed them. I am just using the turntable with it's standard base on a 3" maple butcher block on spikes.
But do get all gear off the floor in case of any amount of flooding.  I replaced a small rack (about the size of your turntable rack) that was between the speakers with a spare piece of shelving that is spiked to the floor.  It opened up the soundstage to an amazing degree.
Well, my listening room is in the attic on the 3rd floor of my house, so if there is flooding, I have LOTS to worry about. But yes, I did lift up the amp on a small riser, and also put the DAC on a butcher block cutting board. Lifting everything off the floor and removing the big rack from between the speakers has helped out a lot. Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

nickd

Is the floor a slab or wood over floor joists (raised foundation)?
 If raised and there is a crawl space (no basement) you can add support to the joists using screw jacks. In my old listening room it helped quite a bit. My speakers were 400 lbs. and I was worried about the joists sagging under the weight. Really tightened up the bass too.

danvprod

@nickd.

My listing room is in my finished attic on the third floor. It's wood over floor joists. I don't think I can really get any joists under the floor.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Another thing I had used was to put my speakers on some round patio concrete bases I painted black.
The patio block coupled to the floor with three tip toe cones.
Took the vibration OUT of the floor at the source.

I live in a second floor apt. and not bothering the neighbors with transmitted bass was my reason.