AV123 LS9 from 2008 non functional

Josh

AV123 LS9 from 2008 non functional
« on: 1 Oct 2017, 03:50 am »
Hi all - I'm hoping someone can direct me on getting some repair help for these speakers. I know Danny designed them so thought I'd take a chance.

It's only one speaker.  No idea, but it just stopped working today. Tested the speaker from the other channel  with a different speaker cable but it's dead.  I hoped there was fuse inside but when I took off the back plate there doesn't seem to be one visible.

I live in the Los Angeles area.

Any help is much appreciated. 

Josh

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: AV123 LS9 from 2008 non functional
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2017, 04:29 am »
What about checking the amp, possibly swap speaker cables,  right for left.

As I understand you a cable to jump across the speakers.   Just wanting to verify any and all items.

Alan

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2017, 04:39 am »
As Alan said, switch the leads to the speakers first.  You may simply have an interconnect that is not making connection, or a speaker wire from the amp that is no longer attached.  This stuff happens.  I've had IC's become intermittent for no apparent reason.  I don't know how many times speaker cables have become disconnected (I blame the terrier usually).

The LS9 is actually a simple speaker... a great big two way.  If you still get nothing from woofers or tweeters, I'd bet you simply aren't getting a signal to them.  Check to see if your wires to the crossover are still connected.  Then check the wiring of the crossover to make sure that all wires in the crossover are intact.  It nearly has to be something really simple. 

Josh

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2017, 04:57 am »
Thanks.  I took the cable from the right speaker which works and plugged it into the left speaker.  It was still not working so something in the speaker seems to be shorted. 

I took off the panel and looked at it.  I didn't poke around too much but the wiring on the crossover seemed fine, but I'll look again tomorrow when I have more light.

If there is a short in the crossover.  Is this something I can easily remove and send for repair.  As you know, these speakers aren't going anywhere.  I'm not super handy with a solder gun so if that is part of it I'll need help.

Again thanks for the replies.  I love these speakers and have never had an issue with them until today and they've been used daily for 10 years.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2017, 05:57 am »
Switch your interconnects, too.

Keithh

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2017, 06:00 am »
Since you have already checked the wires outside the speaker, the most likely problem
is between the binding posts and the crossover. Get an ohmmeter and check the circuit
between the binding post and crossover. If the LS9 uses a circuit board you could also
check between the binding post and the lead of the first cap or coil the signal goes through
to see if there is is a problem with the circuit board trace.
It is most likely a broken or cold solder joint somewhere.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2017, 06:18 am »

If there is a short in the crossover.  Is this something I can easily remove and send for repair.  As you know, these speakers aren't going anywhere.  I'm not super handy with a solder gun so if that is part of it I'll need help.

It's not rocket science to remove a crossover- usually.  I built my LS9's, so I'm not sure how AV123 mounted the X-Over.  I'd call Danny and talk to him.  He could probably test it quickly and repair as needed for a moderate charge. You may have to unsolder a few wires and solder them back.  Not much really.  Just label wires as you go or color code them.  Tale photos as needed to keep your bearings. 

walkern

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2017, 02:28 pm »
I've built a few of Danny's speakers over the years (although not LS 9s) and am pretty handy with a soldering iron.  Depending on where you live in the L.A. area I might be able to help you out. I'm in the N.E. suburbs (Santa Clarita).
Drop me a P.M.

Neil Walker

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2017, 02:53 pm »
Worst case senerio is you have to rebuild the crossovers using point-to-point wiring like most of Danny's speakers.

On the up side you can upgrade the crossovers while you are at it and improve the performance to boot

Josh

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2017, 03:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm going to message Danny for some guidance/repair help. 

I'm not going to be too handy tracing the bad circuit.  Cutting wires I can do very well :)

Neil - I may take you up on the soldering if necessary. I will PM you. I live in Sherman Oaks so not too far away.

I'll keep everyone posted in case your interested on how this all works out.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2017, 08:29 pm »
Josh,
It might help if you take pictures of the top of both the crossover board and the bass alignment resistor board and post them.   

Will give Danny something to work from as well.

Josh

« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2017, 09:01 pm »
Just took some pix and sent them to Danny.  It all looks okay besides some corrosion on the terminals.  I don't see any broken connections.

What do you guys think?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3QHHP9fo0ONdS12dnoybVMwa00

Josh

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2017, 09:05 pm »
That is the bass alignment resistor board.   That looks good.

The PC board on the bottom of the cabinet is the crossover board.

Josh

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2017, 12:21 am »
I was wondering where the rest of it was.  Pulled the batting and I see it.

I guess I need to take to bottom woofer out to unscrew it?  Looks like I can get at the back screws pretty easily through the panel.

Keithh

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2017, 01:45 am »
Assuming those large holes are where the binding posts were, they do not
look in good shape. Before you start taking the rest apart you might want
to test the speaker now.

With your amp at a low volume and not touching the bare metal speaker cable leads
with your hands, carefully touch the speaker cable ends to a clean non-corroded part of each hole to see if
you get any sound.

Those binding posts and where they mount to the board definitely need to be cleaned
with some deoxit to remove all that corrosion.

Josh

« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2017, 02:57 am »
Don't laugh/eye roll but I touched the speaker wire to the board where the binding posts attach and voila! sound!  Haven't put it back together yet,but I'll clean all the build up on them and hopefully I'll be back in business.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Humbly,

Josh

Josh

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2017, 03:03 am »
Keith - I didn't see your post, but you're right on the money! That's the issue per my post after yours.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Regards,

Josh

Josh

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2017, 08:15 pm »
Put it all back together last night and I'm back in business.  Danny gave me the info on upgrading the crossovers. Not too pricey, but I'd be lying if I wasn't wetting myself a bit with what needs to be done...I'm sure it's easy for you guys who build speakers, but just getting the crossover out looks daunting and I'd definitely want someone there who knows what they're doing before I screw up my favorite piece of gear.

Regards,

Josh

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2017, 09:00 pm »
Put it all back together last night and I'm back in business.  Danny gave me the info on upgrading the crossovers. Not too pricey, but I'd be lying if I wasn't wetting myself a bit with what needs to be done...I'm sure it's easy for you guys who build speakers, but just getting the crossover out looks daunting and I'd definitely want someone there who knows what they're doing before I screw up my favorite piece of gear.

Regards,

Josh

Josh,

That's what this forum is for. This is where I learned how to build the crossovers. Start by reading the thread "Crossover assembly 101" up in the stickys.

When I started to build I would lay out the pieces for the network in a way I thought would work then post pictures of my proposed layout. Folks would then give me pointers on refining the layout.

Then when I was ready to start soldering the parts together I'd double check things here.

Folks here are happy to assist.

For that matter, if you want to upgrade the crossovers but do not want to tackle it yourself there are folks here who would build the crossovers for you.

rockdrummer

« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2017, 02:39 pm »
Josh, I completely agree with mlundy.  I first ran across the diy concept while looking at the Martin Logan forum.  When I started researching this, I was a total rookie.  I'm still a rookie, but with this forum, and Danny, I have built 2 sets of mini monitors, custom stands, a sealed servo sub, Super V's and a tube amp kit from Bottlehead. 

The best advice I can give you is, take your time and don't rush, take photos along the way, post them and don't be afraid to ask questions.  It also helps to read build threads.  Like mlundy mentioned, the crossover sticky is where you should start. 

I don't do the best work, but the work that I have done, is still rocking, and I'm loving every minute of it.  Only problem is, i'm afraid it will be a while before I get another project :(

Jump right in!

Ben