A Third Sub???

Early B.

A Third Sub???
« on: 28 Sep 2017, 04:11 am »
Has anyone experimented with placing a third sub in the back of the room? I'm thinking maybe a quasi-swarm that consists of a single sealed servo sub to help even out the response.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: A Third Sub???
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2017, 10:36 am »
Has anyone experimented with placing a third sub in the back of the room? I'm thinking maybe a quasi-swarm that consists of a single sealed servo sub to help even out the response.

Early B,

Another GR Research user did and his results are here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150042.0

Lots of details to learn and understand in that thread.

So yes, that's now a multisub setup.

Best,
Anand.

lokie

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:36 pm »
Thanks for your post. I've been contemplating the same thing.

I only have a few positions that would work due to the system being in my living room and I don't want it out in the open.

Paralysis by analysis so far. Thanks for the link... will review.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2017, 02:31 pm »
  Yes using one. I run it out of phase to main subs. Placed 4' behind me.

charles

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2017, 02:37 pm »
I think I'll conduct an experiment this evening and report back. I have a third sub in the back corner of the room that's used exclusively for home theater. All I would need is a long run of RCA cable to hook it up to my 2-channel system. It might be interesting. I'll play around with the phase adjustment.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2017, 02:38 pm »
  Yes using one. I run it out of phase to main subs. Placed 4' behind me.

Hey -- give us all of the juicy details.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:48 pm »
Danny has routinely recommend a sub at the back of the room run out of phase. If I remember correctly that is how he set up his rooms at shows.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:54 pm »
Hey -- give us all of the juicy details.

First off using Rethm Saadhana full range speakers. www.rethm.com. Have an older Sunfire sub. To set up by ear put on some bass heavy music. With volume control on lowest setting sit in chair then adj. volume until you HEAR the rear sub. Then turn down until it is not prominent meaning you cannot tell where sub is.

charles

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:59 pm »
Danny has routinely recommend a sub at the back of the room run out of phase. If I remember correctly that is how he set up his rooms at shows.

Yes,  I believe he uses a pair of sealed sW12 -04's, one in each rear corner.  Also beleive they are run out of phase from the front  subs and typically at a much lower  volume

Some sealed cabinets  are  "on the list :  :lol:
jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2017, 08:20 pm »
Yes, we run them in the corners of the back of the room, but a single unit can also be very effective.

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2017, 09:13 pm »
OK... sounds easy. Extra sub- check! Extra Amp- check!.

Now all I have to do is figure how to set up the Berhinger 2496... not so easy, for me anyway.

WC

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2017, 09:40 pm »
Yes, we run them in the corners of the back of the room, but a single unit can also be very effective.

stereo or mono signal input for the subs at the back.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2017, 10:20 pm »
I think I'll conduct an experiment this evening and report back. I have a third sub in the back corner of the room that's used exclusively for home theater. All I would need is a long run of RCA cable to hook it up to my 2-channel system. It might be interesting. I'll play around with the phase adjustment.

OK, I just performed a quick experiment and here's my assessment:  :o :o :o 8) :o :o :o 

Gut wrenching, bowel busting, ball tingling bass!

I started with some very bass heavy George Duke tracks. The third sub took the bass to a completely different level. It's crazy, man. I like. A lot.

Then I slowed it down and put on the latest Lizz Wright CD where the first track has some great bass. Incredible! I set the phase level where I liked it. And I really like how I can easily dial in just how much or how little bass I want.

Bottom line -- a free tweak that's gonna remain part of my two-channel system.

FWIW -- I'm using a bastardized AV123 sub (remember those guys?). Well, actually, I'm only using the gorgeous cabinet. I upgraded the amp and the 15" woofer a few years ago.  I believe Danny has a thread on here somewhere where he re-built the cabinet I have, but I won't go down that road.   
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm by Early B. »

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2017, 10:44 pm »
stereo or mono signal input for the subs at the back.

If you have a pair up front running in stereo and have a pair  for the  rear, runthe rears in stereo as well. If you're going to use  a single inthe rear,   run it in mono

jay

Early B.

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2017, 01:46 am »
Is there a way to hook up the third sub to both the HT receiver and 2-channel preamp? A Y-adapter doesn't work -- you'll get feedback. Right now, I have to manually plug and unplug cables. Of course, both systems will NEVER be on at the same time. 

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:08 am »
One more question --

If I wanted a better quality sound from the third sub (or does it matter so much?), would this cost-effective, sealed servo sub be all I'd need:  http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:17 am »
Is there a way to hook up the third sub to both the HT receiver and 2-channel preamp? A Y-adapter doesn't work -- you'll get feedback. Right now, I have to manually plug and unplug cables. Of course, both systems will NEVER be on at the same time.

It depends on the amp. If it has two pairs of inputs like an A370PEQ3 you would use one of the input pairs for HT and the other pair for 2-channel. I've done that before and it worked just fine.

One more question --

If I wanted a better quality sound from the third sub (or does it matter so much?), would this cost-effective, sealed servo sub be all I'd need:  http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

More expensive than the L12 but I'd go with an F12G. This would also give you the A370PEQ3 amp so you'd have the two sets of inputs you'd need for both HT and 2-channel hookup

Mike

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:45 am »
It depends on the amp. If it has two pairs of inputs like an A370PEQ3 you would use one of the input pairs for HT and the other pair for 2-channel. I've done that before and it worked just fine.

I have the Dayton Audio 230 subwoofer amp: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa230-230w-subwoofer-amplifier--300-813

Works great. Very inexpensive and better than most plate amps (Parts Express has refurbished ones for $125 shipped)

This amp has a set of inputs and an LFE. I'd have to run a 35 ft. of RCA cable to make it work, but doable.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:51 am »
The LFE input would be for the HT

Early B.

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:16 am »
The LFE input would be for the HT

Correct. That's how I have it hooked up now. I just ordered a long RCA cable. Gonna hook it up this weekend.