What pre pro to purchase?

lightguyjeff

What pre pro to purchase?
« on: 22 Jul 2017, 04:52 pm »
I am considering several pre pros to upgrade my umc-200.  I listen to music 80% and movies 20%.  I am considering the Anthem Avm 60, Marantz 7703 or 8802a, Xmc-1, Yamaha cx-a5100.  I have read good things about all of them and would like the least expensive best performing unit primarily for music.  I am also open to other suggestions. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What pre pro to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2017, 05:59 pm »
Welcome Jeff :thumb:

lightguyjeff

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2017, 06:01 pm »
Thanks, I have been lurking on these boards for years.  You know how it goes.  Time to upgrade, so better get some feedback from others in the hobby. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2017, 07:41 pm »
I am considering several pre pros to upgrade my umc-200.  I listen to music 80% and movies 20%.  I am considering the Anthem Avm 60, Marantz 7703 or 8802a, Xmc-1, Yamaha cx-a5100.  I have read good things about all of them and would like the least expensive best performing unit primarily for music.  I am also open to other suggestions.

All of the processors you listed are excellent but you may be paying up for features you won't use (atmos, 4K video switching, multi zone capability, etc)

If you don't need more than 5 or 7 channels don't buy a 9 or 11 channel processor, you will be paying for feature you won't use.

I bought my Marantz 7702 processor right after the 7703 came out for $900 (list was $2200). The 7703 offers 4K and DTS-X. Neither of those feature were important to me and I scorred a brand new processor at a 55% discount. :thumb:

Many similar discounts can be had using the link below. If you are open to buying second hand I would look at Sunfire, Lexicon, Cary and Bryston. They won't do Atmos and Audyssey room correction but all of them are outstanding in stereo and will do 7.1 home theater, Dolby decoding, etc.

http://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=audioamps&skip_redirect_suffix=&view_id=1d2f2d2e263038017ee7f5acba195a7146497f0a&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.desc

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2017, 07:44 pm »
Welcome to AC!  One can also consider a 2-channel preamp (assuming you have the rack space) with HT Bypass and a refurb receiver from accessories4less.com.  I got out of the expensive processor mode (since digital changes more rapidly) years back.  I have three 2-channel preamps (in different systems with HT Bypass) and in two of those systems I also do HT (the other for now is in a 2-channel system).  That way if the receiver becomes obsolete you can just buy another refurb.