I need help with a PA system.

Danny Richie

I need help with a PA system.
« on: 19 Jul 2017, 04:57 pm »
A buddy of mine asked me to help him with a PA system out at the drag strip. He needs a lot more coverage than he has.

He does broadcast the races on an FM channel and can set up a receiver down the track to pick it up and re-broadcast it through some speakers. So that is an option.

PA style speakers are needed and maybe something that can handle the weather. Ideally an inexpensive solution.

He needs amps too or powered speakers. He doesn't want to run a 1/4 mile of speaker cable either.

Let me know if you guys have some insight into these applications.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: I need help with a PA system.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2017, 05:53 pm »
Sounds like a good application for Bluetooth PA speakers.  They just have to be exterior style for weather.  Seen them with up to 1000w class D amps interior.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2017, 05:56 pm »
Sounds like a good application for Bluetooth PA speakers.  They just have to be exterior style for weather.  Seen them with up to 1000w class D amps interior.

Yeah that sounds ideal. Got any good leads on something like that?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2017, 06:20 pm »
The online music sites like Musician's Friend.  Here is a search for exterior Bluetooth PA speakers.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?typeAheadSuggestion=true&typeAheadRedirect=true&sB=r&Ntt=exterior+bluetooth+PA+speakers

Should be also at Guitar Center or other music sites.

Hope that gets you started.

CSI

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:28 pm »
A buddy of mine asked me to help him with a PA system out at the drag strip. He needs a lot more coverage than he has.

He does broadcast the races on an FM channel and can set up a receiver down the track to pick it up and re-broadcast it through some speakers. So that is an option.

PA style speakers are needed and maybe something that can handle the weather. Ideally an inexpensive solution.

He needs amps too or powered speakers. He doesn't want to run a 1/4 mile of speaker cable either.

Let me know if you guys have some insight into these applications.

As a former purveyor of high end audio AND public address gear I strongly suggest you talk to a PA pro about this. You will need to use 70 volt speakers to avoid trying to run low impedance wiring (and then he actually can run a lot of cheap cabling if he has to). The only way to avoid lots of cable is to design a distributed system (remote amps) but this will be more expensive. Bluetooth products may fill the need but, again, ask a commercial sound pro before you buy. You will need tons of SPL (particularly for a drag strip) which means high efficiency. Also consider a PA type amp. The refinement of a home audio amp will be a waste in this application. You are looking for 24/7 type reliability. Just as a good home audio system is largely a design challenge, PA work has it's own very specific requirements - and they aren't the same.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2017, 05:01 pm »
What CSI said.  I suggest exploring commercial PA line arrays.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:26 pm »
As others have said, talk to the PA department at the local music/guitar store.

If this is mostly for voicework/announcements/etc, the job will be easier.. Coliseum style speakers and horns might do the job. Trying to get full range and bass for music will be very very difficult and expensive.

If you're ok with a quick hack job, then scour craigslist for used gear. Old workhorse amps from QSC, Crest and Crown are the way to go and can be found for cheap. PA tops from JBL, EV, Peavey, etc should be fairly easy to find as well. Avoid Behringer and Alto brands if you can.

You do not want to have super long runs of speaker cable... 50ft at most, and it better be a thick gauge at that length. If more than that, then yeah you're looking at a 70V system which has different gear requirements and you're not likely to find much of those on the used market.